SASS Wire Forum

Finished My First AR Build

Subdeacon Joe

Shhhhh.... Don't tell Calam.... but, she's got a pink AR coming.... Bought the Magpul pink MOE furniture a while ago, only waiting for the Round-Toit.

And Remember, Every 'Murican should have 1-10-100-1000.

That's:

1 - AR-15 for every citizen, man, woman and child

10 - Standard capacity magazines (30 rounders)

100 - Hours of training (lifetime goal)

1000 - Rounds of 5.56/ .223

When you want to get here some really good pink furniture see here. www.ergogrips.net

Shhhhh.... Don't tell Calam.... but, she's got a pink AR coming.... Bought the Magpul pink MOE furniture a while ago, only waiting for the Round-Toit.

And Remember, Every 'Murican should have 1-10-100-1000.

That's:

1 - AR-15 for every citizen, man, woman and child

10 - Standard capacity magazines (30 rounders)

100 - Hours of training (lifetime goal)

1000 - Rounds of 5.56/ .223

Well, DOH! I guess the cat is out of the bag now, UNO.

Well thought out idea. Why didn't you wait until it was a fait Accompli?

Ain't no way you are going to get that cat back in the bag, now.

She already knows about it, Badg. Are you kidding? If she worked for the FBI, they'd've had Hillary's e-mails long ago.

We're really only waiting for her to shoot the unmodified AR to see if she likes it. If so, I can do the few minutes of work to install the pink furniture.

So all things considered is it cheaper to build your own?

Ike

Well, yes and no. It's kinda like my reloading. I build ammo lots cheaper but I shoot a lot more. You can build a cheaper AR but you will upgrade this, upgrade that. And all of a sudden your $450.00 rifle is $1000.00.

I got two Anderson lowers last month. I'm putting together a 5.56 M4 for Kaya. I may make a 9mm or 7.62x39 for me. I wanted a .45ACP but I'd have almost a grand in it instead of $500.00

So all things considered is it cheaper to build your own?

Ike

Well, yes and no.

Yes: if you are looking for a high-end, specialized AR built like you want it.

No: if you are looking for a entry level, plain-Jane AR-15; like the S&W M&P Sport II or the Ruger AR-556. I couldn't get within a hundred dollars of the sale price of those rifles. BTW, both those carbines are really, really good,and great values, especially if you can get them for about $600.

Well, DOH! I guess the cat is out of the bag now, UNO.

Well thought out idea. Why didn't you wait until it was a fait Accompli?

Ain't no way you are going to get that cat back in the bag, now.

He's been promising to complete it for a while now...... like a couple of years............

Now where did I put that envelope full of Round Tuits...... ;)

Just got my parts kit from Palmetto State Armory today. Took about an hour toput together my first AR. Then Kaya walked in and I gave her her first AR. Now to build mine!!! Flat top 20" HBAR I'm thinking now.

Basic, basic question - assuming it is still chambered in 5.56 NATO, if I buy a barrel assembly without the bolt carrier group and charging handle, can I take them out of the one I just built and use them in it? My assumption is "Sure!" but I figure it is better to ask.

Basic, basic question - assuming it is still chambered in 5.56 NATO, if I buy a barrel assembly without the bolt carrier group and charging handle, can I take them out of the one I just built and use them in it? My assumption is "Sure!" but I figure it is better to ask.

Yes, but why?

Yes, you can.

So he wouldn't have to spend the money on another BCG and charging handle.

Fair enough, so I'll change my answer.

Yes, but you won't be able to shoot em both at the same time.

He will. It's an addiction. I tried having one lower and several uppers. Now, I have more lowers than uppers....

Yes, yes it is. Kind of like Cap & Ball guns. If you put 2 C&B guns in a safe together they breed. :lol:

I'm a doofus, for some reason I had it in my head he would have multiple lowers.

He will. It's an addiction. I tried having one lower and several uppers. Now, I have more lowers than uppers....

I've seen some good deals on barrel assemblies sans BCG (no, not "birth control goggles") and charging handle. I'm thinking that getting various components as I see stuff like that - barrel assemblies,. build kits. stripped or 80% lowers, etc. I can play mix and match until i have I have everything evened out.

And, yes, it is kind of addictive. We just finished the one and we are already looking ahead to the 4th and later ones. Some of it is because my wife seems to have developed a liking for them, some of it is to get the things - especially the lowers - before the capons in Sacramento make it impossible, some of it is being in a position to start building up our collection again. Modern sporting arms seem to be a good place to start that.

I've seen some good deals on barrel assemblies sans BCG (no, not "birth control goggles") and charging handle. I'm thinking that getting various components as I see stuff like that - barrel assemblies,. build kits. stripped or 80% lowers, etc. I can play mix and match until i have I have everything evened out.

That's kind of how I built mine. I bought the lower because a buddy arranged a group buy on polymer lowers with parts installed, then over the next couple of years I bought the upper receiver, upper parts kit, charging handle, BCG, and finally the barrel and furniture and a couple of tools to put it all together.

I might yet build a .300 Blackout upper assembly for it, once I get bored with spending money on other things.

P.S. You'll never get things "evened out." You'll always have a part left over, and have to buy the rest of the parts to build it into another gun.

That's kind of how I built mine. I bought the lower because a buddy arranged a group buy on polymer lowers with parts installed, then over the next couple of years I bought the upper receiver, upper parts kit, charging handle, BCG, and finally the barrel and furniture and a couple of tools to put it all together.

I might yet build a .300 Blackout upper assembly for it, once I get bored with spending money on other things.

P.S. You'll never get things "evened out." You'll always have a part left over, and have to buy the rest of the parts to build it into another gun.

Shhhhhh......don't give the plan away! ;):D

Archived