SASS Wire Forum

Finished My First AR Build

Subdeacon Joe

Actually my wife's rifle - she bought the lower. A Spike "Crusader." We both liked the cross and the Latin.
(photo from online)

4562519_01_spikes_tactical_lower_receive

I had bought a build kit with a completed upper.

Took me about two hours - about an hour of that getting the buffer retainer right (and hunting for the spring - twice). And the detent pin for the take down pin - the video I was using as instructions showed the wrong detent for the safety so I was stumped for a few minutes and had to go back and redo a few steps.

Kinda fun. A little frustrating because I didn't have any kind of vise or holder, and no punch to fit the holes for the trigger and hammer pins.

In a month or so I'll build one for myself.

Then my wife wants one like this:

DSC-0265-zps25781900-660x495.jpg

Maybe for Christmas - or our anniversary next year.

Congratulations!

I like those Crusader lowers too, bought 2 last January. One of those now sports a Spikes upper with a 14.5" barrel and pinned flash hider. Be careful, building AR15s can be addictive.

Congratulations!

I like those Crusader lowers too, bought 2 last January. One of those now sports a Spikes upper with a 14.5" barrel and pinned flash hider. Be careful, building AR15s can be addictive.

Since we are already thinking about building 3 more. At least. I have to agree with the "addictive" part.

Full ones, I mean. Then doing uppers in different calibers.

Think an AR-10 would handle a 38-55?

Since we are already thinking about building 3 more. At least.

Full ones, I mean. Then doing uppers in different calibers.

Think an AR-10 would handle a 38-55?

Handle it as far as pressure, probably. Don't have any idea how you'd get a rimmed cartridge in an AR platform though.

I built an AR-10 from Palmetto State Armory, sweet shooting rifle; recoil is bit more than I care for though. Also built an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel, it may be my favorite.

Be very cautious if you decide to build one in .300 blackout, potentially very dangerous putting one in a .223/5.56.

One of these days I would love to build one. Heck, I'd be happy to own one.

I don't even mind the wood, although I would go for blued metal. straighter stock, maybe a monte carlo style?

Handle it as far as pressure, probably. Don't have any idea how you'd get a rimmed cartridge in an AR platform though.

I built an AR-10 from Palmetto State Armory, sweet shooting rifle; recoil is bit more than I care for though. Also built an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel, it may be my favorite.

Be very cautious if you decide to build one in .300 blackout, potentially very dangerous putting one in a .223/5.56.

Palmetto is where I got the build kit. Fast service and good prices.

The 38-55 is a pipe dream - as you say, the rimmed cartridge would be an issue. Also, I think, the overall length.

I don't understand your comment on the .300 Blackout. Are you saying that a 5.56 only lower won't handle it?

Palmetto is where I got the build kit. Fast service and good prices.

The 38-55 is a pipe dream - as you say, the rimmed cartridge would be an issue. Also, I think, the overall length.

I don't understand your comment on the .300 Blackout. Are you saying that a 5.56 only lower won't handle it?

Lower yes. Because .300 Blackout was derived from 5.56 it uses the same cases and magazines, etc. The only real difference is the barrel/chamber. I'm saying if you get a .300 Blackout UPPER please use extra caution. I can't find the links right now, but putting a magazine full of .300 blackout rounds in a lower attached to a 5.56 upper is a bad thing. There are documented cases in blown up rifles. Not meaning to scare anyone or hijack a thread.

Found one link:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/01/13/psa-always-known-caliber-300-blk-5-56-kaboom/

Lower yes. Because .300 Blackout was derived from 5.56 it uses the same cases and magazines, etc. The only real difference is the barrel/chamber. I'm saying if you get a .300 Blackout UPPER please use extra caution. I can't find the links right now, but putting a magazine full of .300 blackout rounds in a lower attached to a 5.56 upper is a bad thing. There are documented cases in blown up rifles. Not meaning to scare anyone or hijack a thread.

Found one link:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/01/13/psa-always-known-caliber-300-blk-5-56-kaboom/

AH! I thought that might be the case, but I didn't think the .300 Blackout would go into the chamber of a 5.56 Looking at the photos of them side by side I can see where it will chamber. That would, indeed, be bad news.

A guy at work mentioned the .300 Blackout so I looked it up. Seems to be a shortened 5.56 necked up to 7.62 x 35, sort of replicating the 7.62 x 39 that can be used in an AR platform.

Howdy,

Didn't there used to be a Crusader Rabbit?

I have to get goin on this bare lower been sittin around for a while.

I like the wood look, but I HAVE to have adjustable stock.

Seems like fixed stock is so outta date.....

This is a bit of an inspiration, pard. Good Job.

Best

CR

Very cool...nice job....Jim

Howdy,

I have to get goin on this bare lower been sittin around for a while.

I like the wood look, but I HAVE to have adjustable stock.

Seems like fixed stock is so outta date.....

This is a bit of an inspiration, pard. Good Job.

Best

CR

The wooden stocked AR is more "conversation piece" and maybe bench shooter than anything. Certainly not something you are going to go running and gunning with.

The wooden stocked AR is more "conversation piece" and maybe bench shooter than anything. Certainly not something you are going to go running and gunning with.

Personally, I find it very jarring to my senses. ;)

Yup. It originally ran on TV from 1950 to 1959 - about the time the AR-15 was being developed.

I'd really like to build a Crusader in .300 Blackout. I got a real kick out of the markings on the selector switch. (Deus Vult - "God wills it" - HAW!) But the Guv'nor says we can't be trusted with rifles like that here. I managed to get my .223 done just under the wire so I could keep it, but we can't have any new ones. For now.

Found one link:

AH, TYREL, good job. SAFETY FIRST.

You did well and just in time as another panic is just around the corner with the death of Justice Scalia and fear that the Republicans in the Senate will continue to ignore Conservatives and Gunowners and confirm anyone Obama nominates.

Fortunately I had enough sense (or was foolish enough) to buy several lowers for this past winter. Finding uppers though may turn out to be a challenge.

So all things considered is it cheaper to build your own?

Ike

With me not really sure.

In terms of quality of parts and getting exactly what I want the answer is I am getting a better quality gun. With a little luck I might be able to save a few bucks here and there.

However, no matter how I stack it, they are parts guns which doesn't bring the name recognition of a factory built gun. And then there is the question if whoever built the gun did it right.

My plans are to pass them down to my kids as gifts so it is worth it to me to give them something I made. Hopefully they will share the same feelings about getting one from Dad.

So all things considered is it cheaper to build your own?

Ike

Not really. One can shop around and build one a bit cheaper but it won't be customized much; which is part of the fun. I've got < $800 in the one I posted a picture of above.

I wouldn't know if there's a whit of difference between lower manufacturers ~ there may be and likely will be; I just don't know.

But, FWIW, Sassparilla Kid built his on a Spike's (Bullet) Spider lower. :)

Ry%20Grendel%203_zpsayh0v7zs.jpeg

I did. :)

He finally got to shoot it last week... consistent 1" groups at a hundred yards; he's pretty confident he can improve that with a proper rest ~ something better than his pickup tailgate.

But someone mentioned "Spikes," and... :rolleyes:

I'd say the Subdeacon done good! ^_^

Here it is - Lisa still has to decide what rear sight she wants, but that's a minor thing. Essentially it is finished. Just a plain-Jane basic SBR.

Crusader%20AR_zps5n3hnrer.jpg

Very nice!

All it needs is this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/610684/utg-detachable-match-grade-carry-handle-with-a2-rear-sight-ar-15-aluminum-matte

Lisa said "Ooo!" So I guess I'll order it Friday. Thanks!

Your Welcome! Always glad to spend someone else's $$ :lol:

Actually, I have that on my PSA-PA10 (.308 AR), it looks a lot like hers.

Lisa said "Ooo!" So I guess I'll order it Friday. Thanks!

Huh!

Surprisingly, Midway sez it's "discontinued." :(

But...

There's BUNCHES of 'em available on Ebay~! ^_^

Handle

As I work in the AR industry, I am lucky to be privy to some information. As for forged lower receivers, there are only a half dozen or so companies that machine them for everybody. You want your name on the side of an AR? Call up one of those companies, file a variance with the ATF and spend the money. Those companies will make your lowers. Billet ones can be made by most anyone with a milling machine. Cool, huh? Except that when they start changing things to make them cooler, things don't work like they should. I have billet lowers here that don't accept all AR magazines out there. I have seen lowers that won't accept every other AR component as interchangeably as they should.

I have been in those companies that machine the forged lowers and seen the pallets of lowers going to X and Y and Z companies. It's interesting to see 20,000 lowers on pallets ready to ship!

Shhhhh.... Don't tell Calam.... but, she's got a pink AR coming.... Bought the Magpul pink MOE furniture a while ago, only waiting for the Round-Toit.

And Remember, Every 'Murican should have 1-10-100-1000.

That's:

1 - AR-15 for every citizen, man, woman and child

10 - Standard capacity magazines (30 rounders)
100 - Hours of training (lifetime goal)

1000 - Rounds of 5.56/ .223

Archived