SASS Wire Forum

Game Cam to Protect Range? Which one?

We have been having some problems with vandalism on our range. I am thinking that a game cam might be helpful in identifying the culprits.

I have the idea that I really need a no-glow camera, but which one? We aren't looking to spend a fortune. Are there any that are available at big box stores like Cabelas, Bass Pro, or Academy.

Foard County News

Not sure a game camera is the best, since they tend to be attached to things outside, with photo information stored on them. They might be vandalized or stolen as well. Security cameras that transfer the information to a separate computer drive seems the better option, at least to me. They can be had relatively inexpensively. Sure others will have input that may be based on actual experience.

I understand the short comings, but we have a rather large range with ample places to hide a camera. What we don't have is a building to lock support equipment inside or power.

No doubt someone here has had a similar problem.

If you put up a camera, also install a tracker on it. Just in case it is stolen it will alert. Some also go active when stolen and might photo the suspects as they play around with it no knowing their photo is being sent back to your computer along with location.

I understand the short comings, but we have a rather large range with ample places to hide a camera. What we don't have is a building to lock support equipment inside or power.

No doubt someone here has had a similar problem.

Yep, that makes quite the difference! Good luck!

Vandalism at ranges is a constant problem. It seems that some forget to bring targets and look for something they can shoot. Trash containers, shooting benches and anything not set in concrete gets moved and blasted.

Not sure a game camera is the best, since they tend to be attached to things outside, with photo information stored on them. They might be vandalized or stolen as well. Security cameras that transfer the information to a separate computer drive seems the better option, at least to me. They can be had relatively inexpensively. Sure others will have input that may be based on actual experience.

They are more expensive but you can get trail / security cameras that have cellular capabilities. The send the photos via text message.

They also make ones that have remote wireless storage. They come with a separate black box that stores the photos.

Something I believe is an adjunct that shouldn't be overlooked are signs, which are available online stating that your property is under remote-monitored, 24-hour video surveillance, Be sure to put up No Trespassing signs. How the signs are worded (or lack of signs) may have an impact on how or even if, a toxic trespasser may be prosecuted. Call your Sheriff's Department; they may have No Trespassing signs available for a fee or for free that will stand a test. I use those. I have experience with the "video surveillance" signs and I believe they work.

I think you should install video cameras, too, of course. Whatever cameras you install should be video, with remote storage of the footage data. You will need more than one camera.

If you put up a camera, also install a tracker on it. Just in case it is stolen it will alert. Some also go active when stolen and might photo the suspects as they play around with it no knowing their photo is being sent back to your computer along with location.

What Smoken sez. ;)

Anyone remember a few years ago when Founder's Ranch was "hit?"

Well... guess what. They got caught. :lol:

Founder's Ranch Thieves Caught On Camera :rolleyes:

If you think the vandalism may be happening at night, it can be really hard to identify individuals in pictures taken with consumer grade CMOS sensors and IR illuminators, especially with consumer grade optics in front of those focal plane arrays. I recommend placing the cameras around obvious parking places to get a picture of their license plates. I also recommend a camera or two aimed to get a picture of the vandalism so you can get them for vandalism and not just trespassing. A plate number is much easier to track and find someone than a fuzzy picture of a couple of guys. You may be better off buying multiple cheaper cameras to increase your chances of getting a license plate shot. Remember that plates are very reflective, and the night sensors in those cameras are tuned for non-reflective things like deer. Practice in your driveway at your license plate a few times to see what distance is best to set the camera at so you can read the plate without being too close and getting a washed out picture.

Howdy,

I once bought a game cam and had a hard time getting it to work.

IF you get one, TEST it out before the return time expires.

And keep all packaging if you finally do decide to return it.

Finally I sold it extra cheep to a pard.

I never asked how it worked after.

Ive taken pictures all my life but that game cam was very odd.

And they recommended hiding the cam inside cans like oil cans.

Make the cam look like trash.

A cousin had much better luck with his.

He even got pix of albino deer.

Best

CR

Archived