SASS Wire Forum

What Your Favorite Rifle Cartridge Says About You

Subdeacon Joe

http://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2015/3/6/what-your-favorite-rifle-cartridge-says-about-you/

8. .45/70 Government
You sir, were born a century too late. You find solace in a fat, stubby, fire hydrant of a cartridge that throws projectiles larger than the batteries for the remote control. You have a serious man-crush on Yosemite Sam. When you shave that tiny part of your face that doesn’t sport facial hair, you finish with “Looking good, pardner.” The Cleveland Indians mascot makes you reach for your fetchin’-iron, and you don’t mind carrying enough lead in your cartridge belt to make your pants drop at light speed. Oh, you can also work a lever action with your feet.

Heh!

Howdy,

I like accurate and one particular .222 rifle was awesome.

I still come across that target. I hardly keep any targets but I kept that.

Much later the owner offered it to me but I declined due to the

similarity to the 5.56. I didn't need two such similar rounds.

I need to shoot mini14 more 4 sure.

Best

CR

ps loving my 73 in 357 too.....finally got a 73..

I guess I need someone to show me how to shoot a lever action with my feet??

or not....

Howdy:

I thought it was pretty funny. Like the first statement said - this is a tongue in cheek. Actually, I think the author captured some of the various personalities of those who use these cartridges. I enjoyed the article.

STL Suomi

Pretty dumb, if you scrambled the calibers with the descriptions it would still be just as accurate, plain dumb.

Blackfoot :P

Kinda like horoscopes - pretty lame, can jumble them up and any one will apply to almost everyone.

I hunted in several deer amd quail clubs in the late 80s and early 90s. Personalities and cartridges did have a relationship, even if this writer did not make good work of this idea. The 16 gage bird hunter was more traditional than those of us carrying 12s.

In the deer club, those of us choosing to carry 6.5x55 or .303 were different than those carrying .243 or .308, not to mention the fellow that shot a .25-06 Ackley Improved.

I understood the writer's point and probably could not have done any better with such an assignment, but I believe the article missed on quality.

I guess I've had enough coffee to get the humor. I was nodding as I chuckled at the .223 part, and laughed at the .270 part, especially the Jack O'Connor part and the picture.

What a tough crowd. Firearms humor and you can't see it? Have a good drink and read it again. Of course, I may be biased as my rifle is a 7/08 and my serious pistols are all 41 magnums.

Geez, I guess the fairer sex wasn't even a consideration when writing this. The only time we're mentioned was at the very end, almost as an afterthought. Must have resurrected an older article before ladies became a force in the firearms world. Oh well. I thought it was cute.

The .308 fits me pretty close and I do own one but then I also own some of the others mentioned. I like the old stuff. I just got a Stevens 44 in 25-20 SS which is different than the 25-20 Win. Old asnd weird, sort of like me!

I was reading this and it occurred to me that the only rifle caliber I currently own is .223/5.56. I had a .243 and a 30.06, but lean times sent them down the road. The remainder are either pistol caliber or rimfire. But I've definitely never been accused of having a Napoleon complex!

I want to know why those prejudiced SOBs didn't include .30 Government / .30-40 US Krag.

That's just pure and simple age discrimination. :angry:

:P:D

Heck, Rod, they had an older round - .45-70...what do you want? 50-70 govt? .52 Spencer?

Heck, Rod, they had an older round - .45-70...what do you want? 50-70 govt? .52 Spencer?

.75 Brown Bess. ;)

I want to know why those prejudiced SOBs didn't include .30 Government / .30-40 US Krag.

That's just pure and simple age discrimination. :angry:

:P:D

AND THEN THERE WAS THE .44 HENRY RIMFIRE.

Archived