SASS Wire Forum

Steampunk and SASS

Hurricane Deck 100366

Yes its called "Cowboy Action Shooting" but the clothing ranges from 1849 to 1970. Hollywoods version of what people wore has impacted the game. Some think it's only beaver felt hats, chaps, wrist cuffs, boots and spurs. Because that's what TV defined as a cowboy. But we know historically cowboys were a very small group of people that existed for a very short period of time. And pictures show us that the way they dressed was varied depending on the region. As in straw hats and no chaps.

My point here is that the "game" has progressed to embrace all types of clothing, hats, shoes, and guns. And yes some clubs like to have fun so Hawaiian shirts, Halloween costumes, baseball uniforms, Josey Whales, Tom Horn, etc. So if someone brings elements of Steam Punk into the mix, good for them. Especially if it keeps them shooting or entices new shooters. Do we need another category.....no.

Although a long time ago I saw a Pic of someone at EOT who was wearing nothing but a loin cloth and war paint.......Thats were the line should be drawn. My eyes...
ike

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand! I'll have to settle for Steampunk at Cherokee Cowboys. Be sure to bring that 87 if you have it. I think it's going to look great.

I hope it is done by then. Complete disassembly required. He even has to pull the barrel.

After it is all prep'ed, it has to be beadblasted, then coated, then put in an oven to cure before he can put it back together.

I HOPE to have it by Cherokee, but wouldn't be surprised if it is Riverbend or later.

Yes its called "Cowboy Action Shooting" but the clothing ranges from 1849 to 1970. Hollywoods version of what people wore has impacted the game. Some think it's only beaver felt hats, chaps, wrist cuffs, boots and spurs. Because that's what TV defined as a cowboy. But we know historically cowboys were a very small group of people that existed for a very short period of time. And pictures show us that the way they dressed was varied depending on the region. As in straw hats and no chaps.

My point here is that the "game" has progressed to embrace all types of clothing, hats, shoes, and guns. And yes some clubs like to have fun so Hawaiian shirts, Halloween costumes, baseball uniforms, Josey Whales, Tom Horn, etc. So if someone brings elements of Steam Punk into the mix, good for them. Especially if it keeps them shooting or entices new shooters. Do we need another category.....no.

Although a long time ago I saw a Pic of someone at EOT who was wearing nothing but a loin cloth and war paint.......Thats were the line should be drawn. My eyes...

ike

Requiring other shooters to use eye bleach in order to be on the same posse oughta be a MDQ, iffn' yer askin me.

Amazing how opinions around here change with whichever direction the wind is blowing on a certain day.

Several months ago there were several threads about the same time frame discussing what was and wasn't legal to wear in a match. Best I recall there was quite a brew ha ha over what exactly was a proper cowboy hat and which ones were allowed and which ones weren't or whether a hat was required at all. Then there was the debate over proper boots, even going so far as to disallow certain brands for not being "cowboy enough" and too modern. I believe short sleeve versus long sleeve shirts got a pretty good working over as did collars, shirt pockets and other minor clothing types such as blue jeans with all the bling on the pockets. Remember Mongo, with what some considered to be an improper shirt and improper "possibly Dangerous" chains? What a fiasco that was. I can only imagine when someone shows up with 50 lbs of copper tubing, dials, valves and regulators plastered all over their body!

What a fickle bunch, one month lynch mobs are formed to make sure everyone is dressed STRICTLY by the book and another month it's live and let live, wear whatever floats your boat.

Geeze, make up your minds, I've got to pick out my Spring outfit!

Amazing how opinions around here change with whichever direction the wind is blowing on a certain day.

Several months ago there were several threads about the same time frame discussing what was and wasn't legal to wear in a match. Best I recall there was quite a brew ha ha over what exactly was a proper cowboy hat and which ones were allowed and which ones weren't or whether a hat was required at all. Then there was the debate over proper boots, even going so far as to disallow certain brands for not being "cowboy enough" and too modern. I believe short sleeve versus long sleeve shirts got a pretty good working over as did collars, shirt pockets and other minor clothing types such as blue jeans with all the bling on the pockets. Remember Mongo, with what some considered to be an improper shirt and improper "possibly Dangerous" chains? What a fiasco that was. I can only imagine when someone shows up with 50 lbs of copper tubing, dials, valves and regulators plastered all over their body!

What a fickle bunch, one month lynch mobs are formed to make sure everyone is dressed STRICTLY by the book and another month it's live and let live, wear whatever floats your boat.

Maybe you should dress as cowboy as you want and don't worry about how others dress. I see you're rather new so maybe visiting a few matches will enlighten you and you'll see something you'll like.

pretty much hit that nail squarely.

Give it a month and the debate on each clothing item will start all over.

Maybe you should dress as cowboy as you want and don't worry about how others dress. I see you're rather new so maybe visiting a few matches will enlighten you and you'll see something you'll like.

I just started shooting CAS back in March and between our local club and another club 95 miles away I have only participated in 14 matches so far. So, tell me ole wise one.... how many more matches do I need to attend before I become enlightened, and will I know it when it happens?

I already see what I like, a bunch of folks dressed in 19th century clothing shooting lever action rifles, double barrel shotguns and single shot six shooters making as much noise as possible and starting next week, making as much smoke as possible!

I just hope it stays that way for a while longer. I like things the way they are, it's a shame so many feel the need for change and are so quick to chastise others for wanting Cowboy shooting to remain Cowboy shooting.

I just started shooting CAS back in March and between our local club and another club 95 miles away I have only participated in 14 matches so far. So, tell me ole wise one.... how many more matches do I need to attend before I become enlightened, and will I know it when it happens?

I already see what I like, a bunch of folks dressed in 19th century clothing shooting lever action rifles, double barrel shotguns and single shot six shooters making as much noise as possible and starting next week, making as much smoke as possible!

I just hope it stays that way for a while longer. I like things the way they are, it's a shame so many feel the need for change and are so quick to chastise others for wanting Cowboy shooting to remain Cowboy shooting.

I like CAS for the dress up too and some do it different, better, lesser than others. That's all I'm trying to say. I dress as a prospector or buffalo hunter most of the time and to the purists maybe that ain't "cowboy" enough but it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

I like CAS in that you get to fire three different types of firearms.

Dressing up is just me play cowboys and Indians back when I was 12

I admit that I'm not partial to baseball caps and black tactical clothing; so while there is a wide range of what I like and am OK with in CAS there is a line that can be crossed--and remember this is for ME, not everyone.

cr

There is no justification for baseball caps and "tactical clothing"?

The definition of enlightenment varies from person to person. From my perspective you will be enlightened when you realize that people enjoy CAS for different reasons and the more people playing the game the better it is for everyone. I like the guns and the speed, others like the clothes and accoutrements. When you realize that others come to the game with different desires than you, and that their desires and yours aren't mutually exclusive, then you will be on the road to enlightenment grasshopper.

To those whose enjoyment is lessened because someone is wearing jeans, or has a ringing cell phone in their pocket, I say get a life and mind your own business.

I have been trying to get my Daughter-In-Law (DIL) interested in CAS for a while; my Sons have been members since 2002. My wife and I even got her, and both our grandkids (5 & 1 1/2), registered with SASS for Christmas. I just haven't been able to get my DIL excited about it.

This past weekend, my wife and I watched the grandkids so my Son and DIL could have a Valentine’s "Free Weekend", during which time we spent some time with my granddaughter trying to pick her alias. (As usual, everything we think of that she likes is taken, but I know eventually we will find something.) When we returned the grandkids, I mentioned to my DIL that some members were dressing Steampunk at matches now. Her eyes lit right up, she started asking questions, and for the first time I think she had a real interest in shooting.

While I admit that deep down I am a John Wayne, Tom Selleck, Clint Eastwood, cowboy at heart, that is my generations view. While I may have gotten my sons hooked on my version of Cowboy while they were growing up, most others in their generation have no connection to what it means to be a Cowboy, at least the way I do, but for whatever reasons, they do connect with Steampunk.

The bottom line is that SASS needs to find ways to attract new shooters if it is to thrive and grow. I think we have all seen, with the exception of Winter Range and a few others, attendance is down in most matches. Partly, at least IMHO, the economy for most people is still pretty weak, partly folks (at least in my area) bought a life time supply of guns over the last few years because of bad legislation, and partly SASS is a victim of its own prior successes in that there are so many good matches around no one can attend them all.

As I stated earlier in this thread, I have mixed emotions about this, but if the game we all play is going to survive, SASS needs to attract new shooters to come and play and, for good or bad, they are not likely to share my vision of Cowboy Action Shooting. If it takes opening up to Steampunk costuming on the ranges, I will learn to adjust. If someone wants to dress up in a top hat and tails with a few gizmo's hanging off of their costume, it doesn't really affect the game I want to play. Shoot, it will probably just slow them down!

Equally importantly, we need to recruit more of the younger generation to be gun enthusiasts. If we can’t do that, then it is likely that my great-grandkids will not only have no interest in SASS, even if they did, they probably won’t be able to own the guns they need to play the game.

Hi, Ho, Silverplate! :P

04.02.09.jpg

I WANT THAT HORSE!!! Er ....... I WANT THAT STEAM HORSE!! yea buddy!! YA know, had the founders named it "Victorian Action Shooting" all the folks dressed up like cowboys would be the weird ones.

STEAMPUNK ROCKS !!! A Victorian townie with Accouterments. Betcha.

Coffinmaker

PS: Don't look now, but SASS/CAS/WAS isn't growing and thriving. The game is slowly going the way of the DOO DOO bird. Next match, do a mental comparison. Small handful of younguns. Great big gaggle of Phat old Pharts. Anything to slow down the finish should be welcome.

There's only a few basic rules we all have to follow that a steampunk costume should have no trouble with. Boots are the only thing I can think of that you might get stuck on, and we all get stuck on it if we don't already have something acceptable. No one said a word to me about using my motorcycle boots or work boots when I first started. You might be thinking of B Western or Classic Cowboy which have stricter costuming requirements.

Only B-Western and Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl require boots and only B-Western prohibits lace up boots. SHB pg 16 and 17

Beyond that the only requirement is on the SHB pg 3

Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series.
SASS puts a great deal of emphasis on costuming because it adds so much to the uniqueness of our game and helps create a festive, informal atmosphere that supports the friendly, fraternal feeling we encourage in our competitors.
All shooters must be in costume, and we encourage invited guests and family also to be costumed. Shooters must remain in costume at all match events: dinners, award ceremonies, dances, etcetera.
ALL clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how it would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television.

New Rocks are the usual darling of most of the heavy steampunk crowd I have hung around. Demonia, Pengallen Dreams are others that come to mind.

Any without lug soles are perfectly legal for all categories except as stated above.

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea l by French writer Jules Verne published in 1870.

Wow! I googled it and you can still purchase the 1954 movie. I didn't know there was a remake in 2000.

One price from AppleStore was approx $18.

walmart, Target, Best Buy has it for $9.99

Only B-Western and Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl require boots and only B-Western prohibits lace up boots. SHB pg 16 and 17

Beyond that the only requirement is on the SHB pg 3

Dave, I was referring to the end of the shooters handbook where they specifically outlaw combat boots and athletic shoes. My point being that some people (like me) might have gone their entire life wearing nothing but athletic shoes and work boots, and if that's you then you might also have trouble finding something that's comfortable and acceptable. I say 'might' because I'm not sure what the difference is between combat boots and work boots. I just know the folks at the club said mine were fine.

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea l by French writer Jules Verne published in 1870.

Wow! I googled it and you can still purchase the 1954 movie. I didn't know there was a remake in 2000.

One price from AppleStore was approx $18.

walmart, Target, Best Buy has it for $9.99

I just re-read the book. I got it for my kindle for 99 cents! It is still a good read!

Dave, I was referring to the end of the shooters handbook where they specifically outlaw combat boots and athletic shoes. My point being that some people (like me) might have gone their entire life wearing nothing but athletic shoes and work boots, and if that's you then you might also have trouble finding something that's comfortable and acceptable. I say 'might' because I'm not sure what the difference is between combat boots and work boots. I just know the folks at the club said mine were fine.

Unless they have Lug soles or are in a camouflage pattern you would be hard pressed to differentiate between work boots and "combat boots".

I made the reference because too many people believe that you have to wear cowboy boots when that is not entirely true.

When I was gearing up for SASS I asked if I had to wear cowboy boots and was told no requirement for them. Showed up at my first match wearing an old pair of my navy issue flight deck boots. Wore them for almost a year until I found a pair of mule eared slip on boots that I could wear and not need crutches at the end of the match.

I grew up wearing Cowboy boots and Red Wing work boots but had to quit several years ago as my feet started to complain. Transitioned into the tactical side zip boots and with an extra cushion insole and arch support they serve me well but are not SASS legal.

Well let us not forget HG Wells.

The Time Machine 1895 - There is a fairly accurate description of atomic warfare.

Island of Dr. Moreau 1896 - While mostly an argument against vivisection, it shadows the advance of altering organisms into something else.

War of the Worlds 1898 - Tripods and of course what Wells described as a Heat Ray.

First Men in the Moon 1901 - Trip to the moon.

The Food of the Gods 1904 - Gigantic creatures (a bunch of old 1950s movies were inspired by this).

Edgar Rice Burroughs 1912 - John Carter of Mars series debuts. Considered the first Interstellar (technically interplanetary) Romance novels. Flying ships using light, Considered to have inspired Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, Superman. Lucas admitted that the stories inspired Star Wars and James Cameron also has said it inspired an updated version which became Avatar.

Archived