SASS Wire Forum

Went to buy powder....Bought Gun!

Rancho Roy

Went to the local gun shop this morning to pick up some powder.....Quick look in the gun case....1873 Colt Bisley (ASM) in 38-40!

Big deal...a repro of an 1873 SAA by the Italian firm Armi San Marco....

But...This is Massachusetts. A revolver like this is near impossible to get in this state. If it wasn't here before 1998, it can't be brought in and sold here. In fact, the only SAA revolvers that you can buy new here are Ruger Vaqueros...And just a few models. Unless they were here before 1998 and are grandfathered. I hate it here!

So..38-40, my favorite cartridge...Bisley with a great feeling grip and that low hammer....a real dog gone firing pin!...Perfect new condition...And at a price that was well below what I thought he should be asking..... SOLD!

P2070001-vi.jpg

P2070005-vi.jpg

P2070002-vi.jpg

Roy,

What a great find. So much of what ASM made the last couple of years before they went bust, was sooooooooo bad. Earlier copies of the

SAA and related guns were SOOOOOOOOOO good. Extremely close to Colt. Colt thought they were too close. No legal action, but the

guns really made Colt nervous.

It would appear you have found a real good Bisley. Bet you can't (haven't) wait to take it out and play with it. Congratulations. Now if you

could just find your way out of Massive Two Shi##.

Coffinmaker

Made a run to a LGS yesterday for primers and walked into a brand new Colt SAA in 357 at a decent price. I thought they had gone the way of the Dodo Bird

"Massive Two Shi##".......... Grandkids + Wife = Anchor !!

We ain't goin' nowhere!

A real Colt in Massachusetts.............You can not fathom what they are going for!

I went to shoot at the indoor range today and wound up buying a brand new Colt Mustang .380, my new carry gun!!! I shot 20 rounds and it's accurate enough at 20 ft. I love this little Colt!! :)

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2014/10/gun-review-colt-mustang-xsp-lightweight-defender/#ch_colt_mustang_xsp_7

Very nice. I own several ASM's and really have had no more trouble with them than any other brand. The only systemic thing I have noticed is everyone of their conversion type pistols I have owned or still own have an extremely light trigger.

Just wondering though. How do they (the State) know whether a gun was in the state before the cutoff. Did ya'll have to register everything at that time? What if someone comes across something now that is not registered? Does it have to be destroyed?

No, you can keep anything grandfathered and if you move into the state you can bring anything with you.......Since handguns need to be transferred through an FFL if bought in another state and transferred to your home state, no FFL in Massachusetts will transfer a handgun from another state unless it is "Mass Complaint"....... and the list of Mass Compliant handguns is VERY short.

If you want to private sell a handgun here there is no issue with grandfathering etc. The law and penalties only apply to dealers.......Strange but true.

The only way that Non Complaint handguns can get into the state is when a person moves here permanently from another state and brings them with them.

I went to shoot at the indoor range today and wound up buying a brand new Colt Mustang .380, my new carry gun!!! I shot 20 rounds and it's accurate enough at 20 ft. I love this little Colt!! :)

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2014/10/gun-review-colt-mustang-xsp-lightweight-defender/#ch_colt_mustang_xsp_7

Very nice.

nice loooking revolver - what the heck is it about these that they have to be 'grandfathered in' ? i dont get it - low cap, slow acxtion , very traditional unless you were in the 1870s when it might have been an assault weapon ,

There is no rhyme or reason to laws like this.........Someone in power doesn't like something and they have the power to ban it or put so many roadblocks in front of it that it dies a natural death.

Make my hair hurt!

nice loooking revolver - what the heck is it about these that they have to be 'grandfathered in' ? i dont get it - low cap, slow acxtion , very traditional unless you were in the 1870s when it might have been an assault weapon ,

I suspect the State is on a 25 year plan. A slow but steady process where guns will be eliminated or even more severely limited in the boundaries of the State. As gun owners age, die, move away, there will be just that fewer types of firearms.and with fewer undesireable (states def) new guns coming in, you have an even stronger strangle hold on firearms.

The grandfathering thing is just a bone to throw to present gun owners so they will not protest to loudly. As those people move on, well so does the firearms, to various degrees. That is why i threw out a 25 year time period as an example.

Went to the local gun shop this morning to pick up some powder.....Quick look in the gun case....1873 Colt Bisley (ASM) in 38-40!

Sweet! Bet you got all the way before you realized you forgot the powder.

Archived