SASS Wire Forum

Single or double trigger on a Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme?

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

Considering the Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme for CAS and would like the basics, opinions and pros and cons of a single or double trigger.

I only shot double trigger guns since before my voice changed and see no need to evolve now so our two Stoegers are both double trigger models. Neither gun has had a problem of any kind. But I'm a pretty deliberate shooter (read that as slow) so if there is any speed advantage to a single trigger, I'd not notice it.

If there has been a trigger problem with double trigger Stoeger, I've not seen or read about it. Single trigger, that's another story that I'll let others tell.

Are you old enough to remember Rube Goldberg? The single trigger Stoeger is a Rube Goldberg type mechanism. Some people have luck with them but a lot of people do not. For reliablility go with the double trigger on the Stoeger. If you want a reliable single trigger you are going to have to spend a lot more money.

You will find a lot of shooters poo-pooing double trigger Stoegers. Personally I thing most of the problems come from inept, Kitchen Table gunsmithing, but that's just my opinion.

I have been shooting a single trigger Stoeger for about 6 years, with no problems at all. After shooting Skeet for about 30 years, (20 years competitively), single triggers just are more natural for me. I have a double trigger back-up Stoeger that I never have had to use in a match, but it works OK when I tried it in practice.

Buy what you like, and if you need it slicked up, have it done by a reputable gunsmith, or better yet, buy it from someone like Johnny Meadows, with it already slicked up and ready to go. Can't go wrong there.

RBK

I would say double will consistently be more reliable. On a different thought, some people like single trigger because they switch back and forth between the sxs and 97 pump. That way they only have to remember 1 trigger. Once again its up to what you like GW

Are you old enough to remember Rube Goldberg? The single trigger Stoeger is a Rube Goldberg type mechanism. Some people have luck with them but a lot of people do not. For reliability go with the double trigger on the Stoeger. If you want a reliable single trigger you are going to have to spend a lot more money.

+1

Yes, some of the single trigger Stoegers may work, but I would not risk it.

For me, there is so much difference between shooting the 97 and the SxS that it is easy for me to switch to the double-trigger SxS.

When you have two triggers you have two separate guns in your hand.

If one doesn't work the other one will.

Inexpensive gun = inexpensive trigger system

If you can, before you buy, dry fire both barrels several times and make sure that they re-cock reliably.

If you use your brain and finger tip you will easily see the double is faster, its a finger tip away.

You don't have to wait for a reset that sometimes doesn't come.

Mechanical trigger is of no speed benefit, it makes shooting at birds easier, built in choke on all sguns IC-M, IC for close bird,M BIRD FLYING WAY.

GOOD LUCK LEE

I have double triggers on both of my Stoegers. I've switched the triggers, though, so the front one is on the left and the rear one is on the right. I'm right handed, so this is faster for me.

After shooting a 97 for years, I decided to try a double because it was easier on my damaged shoulder (since repaired). I shot the single trigger Stoeger for a couple of years, about 80 matches with no sign of any problem, no doubling or anything else.

Then I took it for use in an event where several different shooters used my gun. With some of the shooters it would double almost every time. With others (and me) it worked just fine.

On analyzing the difference, my observation was that the shooters who had the doubling problem shot the gun like it was a rifle.. In other words they would squeeze the trigger, gently breaking the shot. This would allow their finger to relax as the shot went off and recoil started. As the gun continued back in recoil, the finger would rengage the trigger, causing a second shot to be fired.

If you want to try a single trigger gun with mechanical triggers, try it first to make sure your shooting style works with th gun.

My experience comes from working on the CAS guns for the last 25 year. I see more issues with the low end/price single trigger guns than I do the double trigger guns. When they go bad they tend to double or some would only fire on one barrel. You will occasionally see that with the higher priced single trigger guns but it is much more rare.

A double trigger gun is actually two separate guns sandwiched together with simple fire control/trigger parts for each side. As for speed differences between a single trigger verses a double, For the right handed shooter set it up with the triggers reversed. The front trigger on the left and the rear trigger on the right. With the triggers setup like this the front trigger is on the left side and once it is pulled the finger can easily slip straight back to the rear which is now on the right side. You don't have to reach around the front trigger to get to the back trigger. I personally think this is a faster setup than even the single trigger guns because you don't have to let up on the trigger to get a reset required of the single trigger gun. This setup can make it seem almost like both trigger were pulled at the same time.

002.jpg

After shooting a 97 for years, I decided to try a double because it was easier on my damaged shoulder (since repaired). I shot the single trigger Stoeger for a couple of years, about 80 matches with no sign of any problem, no doubling or anything else.

Then I took it for use in an event where several different shooters used my gun. With some of the shooters it would double almost every time. With others (and me) it worked just fine.

On analyzing the difference, my observation was that the shooters who had the doubling problem shot the gun like it was a rifle.. In other words they would squeeze the trigger, gently breaking the shot. This would allow their finger to relax as the shot went off and recoil started. As the gun continued back in recoil, the finger would rengage the trigger, causing a second shot to be fired.

If you want to try a single trigger gun with mechanical triggers, try it first to make sure your shooting style works with th gun.

I have never used a Stoeger either double or single trigger. But I have been using a single triggered Fox since I started CAS many years ago.

It is faster than any double triggered gun I own, and with 26 inch tubes just works better than the 181/2 and 20 inch guns

I have 3 double trigger 3-1/2" tens. One has a long barrel for cowboy trap. They work for me. I also have an 8 gauge 4-1/4" Parker.It was my great grandfather's. To my knowledge, none of them have ever had a problem. They have had tons of BP through them. :D

I prefer double triggers. IMHO, they are faster than single triggers. Unfortunately, as an octogenarian, I am a tad slower and probably should not provide tips an fast shooting. :unsure:

If you use your brain and finger tip you will easily see the double is faster, its a finger tip away.

You don't have to wait for a reset that sometimes doesn't come.

Mechanical trigger is of no speed benefit, it makes shooting at birds easier, built in choke on all sguns IC-M, IC for close bird,M BIRD FLYING WAY.

GOOD LUCK LEE

Interesting point of view...

Archived