SASS Wire Forum

Single shot break action shotgun

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

Would like to hear from anyone who has either shot or is currently shooting the above style of shotgun in Cowboy Action Shooting and get their opinion.

I sometimes shoot a H&R break-open, single-shot in warm-up matches before a Plainsman match. The shotgun works just like my Handi-rifle and gives me some useful practice. Yes, they are too slow but it is possible to bounce spent hulls off the TO for grins.

I am a very average shooter. My four times with a sxs run about 6 seconds, about 6 seconds with a 97 and about 8 seconds with an H&R single. To me, the H&R push button open is quicker thana traditional swivel lock.

I am more accurate with the single. The single has more recoil than the double due to weight.

So it's slow who cares. Shoot that single shot and ignore those detractors. Sometimes this game is about more than speed

My thoughts too!

Why,,,,, I think we need a whole new category ^_^ for the Single Shot SG shooters. You can use any other SASS legal firearm for pistols & rifle. LOL.

Try it.

With practice, there should be no reason one can't keep up with someone else using any other SG (e.g. '97) in "single-shot" mode.

Open, load, fire...repeat as necessary.

I've used one off and on for several years. As PaleWolf says, with practice, someone can run one and keep up with most 97 shooters. One word of advice would be to remind the TO which way you plan to shoot the hulls to, but they will quickly remember to duck.

Another good thing about the single shot H&R Shorguns is that you can get a used one for about $100.00 or less

Oh yea, they suck if you have a pop-up/flyer, but not totally impossible if they fly long enough.

One of these days, I am gonna show up with my Rolling block, a single barrel 12, a pair of 51 navies, carry my ammo in my pocket like the old timers and just have fun. I figure I can shoot a stage in a minute and a half.

I have kept my eyes open for a hammerless single. LeFever and Stevens both made internal hammer single barrel shotguns. Simple and faster than an external hammer. They both have ejectors also.

LeFever perfected the ejector in the 1880s. Period correct!

I'll bite. I have run a push button H&r more than once. I draw 4 shells and work the gun fine with my trigger hand. The weight of the barell opens the action and ejects the shell on its own after the button is pushed. Cocking the hammer happens before the gun even comes up for the next shot so it's not an extra step.

They can be reasonably quick but I disagree they are "just as fast as a 97". Not even close. They are fun and I like turning heads with mine.

Walmart usually has them for around 130.00.

Less stuff to break on H&R push button, very affordable, and a affordable way for new shooter to enter the game. You could outfit the whole family with H&R's for the price of one 1897. Secondary use would be a house/barn/truck gun.

A new challenge for the veteran SASS shooter at a club match

With ejector (legal) would probably handle ribbed hulls just fine. Down load shells according to use.

Hmmm, now, for a cross draw holster design for that puppy. LOL>

Yea, cool video Billy.

I borrowed my Dad's old Ithaca M66 20ga for my very first match because that was all that I had. It has a hammer and no ejectors, but it was still fun enough to get me hooked, I bought a double for my next match though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfmmu3Gi174

You get a pretty good idea of acceptance when you are shooting at National Championships with a single barrel shotgun (with ejector)and as you finish a stage the "peanut callery" tosses handfuls of spent shotshells back at you ..... 'cause you were tossing spent shells at them while you were shooting your stage ;):o:D

Used a short barreled H&R 20 few years ago when one arm was in a sling. Shot it like a pistol. Had loaded some "shorty" shells.

You get lots of thumb exercise time you shoot 4 revolvers and 6-8 shotgun on a stage. Was fun keeping mouthy TOs ducking.

Slow, but beat just watching everybody else have fun.

Numa

I have used my H&R single in matches. You don't give away very much by using the single. The H&R has a push button opening system and will open just from the weight of the barrel, 22" in my case.

I can get off 4 shots from the single in about 7 seconds where it takes me about 6 seconds with a double.

There is a single barrel "World Record" speed category on Lead Dispenser's World Records web page. I hold the current world record by virtue of the fact that I'm the only one who ever entered. My time was 7 point something seconds. I'll bet that someone like Billy the Avenger could beat that by a couple of seconds!

Give it a try Billy.

Billy doesn't know it yet, but he will soon be up to his eyeballs slickin up and getting the H&R button single-shot (SS) 'race ready' for all those customer that will be sending in their firearms so they can chase the leaders..

We saw the birth of a new business right here folks

Your video is a winner and should be package for sale too. AUTOGRAPHED to the first hundred customers. An Avenger bisley wide hammer drop in mod for ease of cocking, Avenger big bead front sight so's you can see the target, and finally Avenger straight trigger to eliminate the trigger bite are just some of the additions you can request.Custom Butt stock covers, lever wraps, engraving and more stuff to follow.

Billy, just in case there is a little lull at the beginning, don't quit your day job just quite yet. :lol:

Billy doesn't know it yet, but he will soon be up to his eyeballs slickin up and getting the H&R button single-shot (SS) 'race ready' for all those customer that will be sending in their firearms so they can chase the leaders..

We saw the birth of a new business right here folks

Your video is a winner and should be package for sale too. AUTOGRAPHED to the first hundred customers. An Avenger bisley wide hammer drop in mod for ease of cocking, Avenger big bead front sight so's you can see the target, and finally Avenger straight trigger to eliminate the trigger bite are just some of the additions you can request.Custom Butt stock covers, lever wraps, engraving and more stuff to follow.

Billy, just in case there is a little lull at the beginning, don't quit your day job just quite yet. :lol:

Don't forget for a short time only

For 199.999999 I will short stroke It too

And the 6 round conversion soon to come

Don't tell Widder I'm working on them

He shoots one shot at a time

Billy the Avenger

Don't forget for a short time only

For 199.999999 I will short stroke It too

And the 6 round conversion soon to come

Don't tell Widder I'm working on them

He shoots one shot at a time

Billy the Avenger

When are you going to introduce the 7th gen short stroke for the BtA SS shotgun?

I know you are working on the 12 gauge Cowboy Special (12CS) hull that that big case maker will not produce, so you will.

Be sure to mention that it is Proudly made in the good ol USA!

on a less serious note. who makes your holsters that in the video?

Archived