SASS Wire Forum

Shooting anything new or different this year?

Two Spurs

The post about what guns you started out with got me to thinking...

I imagine lots of the cowboys (and some of the cowgirls) have shot most everything out there. But.....

Are you going to shoot something (gun or category) this year for the first time ever?

After the spring circuit is over I'm wanting to shoot my '97 for the first time at a match. Probably will dust off the .45 stuff and shoot some BP for the first time in a coon's age. :)

Another good thread. I'm planning to get into cap and ball guns. I also want to try out some classic cowboy. No reasons can't do both at the same time. I also have an original Winchester 73 I sent off for real case coloring and a bit of smoothing up. Going to play with that some for sure this year.

Another good thread. I'm planning to get into cap and ball guns. I also want to try out some classic cowboy. No reasons can't do both at the same time. I also have an original Winchester 73 I sent off for real case coloring and a bit of smoothing up. Going to play with that some for sure this year.

Me too! Mailed a pair of 1851s off this morning for a bit of "tuning" ;)

That's part of a problem I am hoping to solve. :)

I shoot different guns all the time and need to pick a set and actually shoot one set for a full year. I have shot different guns on each of the three days at EOT a oouple of times. Getting to tired to clean BP at the end of the day so I used 6 revolvers, 3 rifles and 3 shotguns. All different and just tossed them in the motorhome at the end of the day and cleaned them all when I got home.

ROA's cartridge and cap and ball throughout the year. Also switching to sxs so that I can shoot FCGF.

I've collected a bunch of new and old choices for the new season. In shotguns, I've added a Baker Leader 12 gauge and a Remington 1889 12 gauge. I picked up a Marlin 1894 32-20 saddle ring carbine made in 1900 that shoots well enough with smokeless loads but I'm struggling to get a good black powder load to shoot straight. Then on Black Friday I bought a pair of Pietta 51 Navy Confederate 44 sheriff's model that I'm real pleased with.

Of course you can shoot cap and ball in classic!

My new rifle is a Henry Transitional in 44-40.

Should be fun!

--Dawg

I am thinking of getting a Chiappa 1887 done up by Lassiter. Have spent a little bit of time with 87's and I think the longer frame of the Chiappa would be a benefit when loading. I'd like to see how competitive I could be with it.

I'll play any gun game or shoot any gun if there was only time. Based on time in service, there is no step raise this year, but I get a nice longevity check. I think that will just cover a Springfield M1A in .308. If I could just decide on which model. I like the SOCOM, but what if I decide to shoot long range. Decisions, decisions.....DSH

This thread is personally painful for me to read through. I came out of the SW regionals last year , once again vowing to be a little more competitive this year by making some major changes.

Things started to fall together when I took the plunge a bought a new short stroked 73 Cody deluxe short rifle in 38. This allowed me to change calibers from 45 to 38. It also changed barrel lengths from 24" to 20".

Changing to 38's also gave me the opportunity to dig a really nice pair of Colt SAA's out of the safe. The super smooth action on these Bob James guns had been calling me for a couple of years. The high hammers on these Colts also led to the biggest change which was to change shooting styles from DD to traditional(two handed). I started SASS shooting SD 11 years ago. This new style moved me to ES. Figured I would really show those old codgers a thing or two.

Due to family commitments, I saw.no action in Nov-Jan except one monthly where I was able to, at least try out the new rifle. With a lot of front porch shadow shooting, I was able to get comfortable with the two handed style and was ready to go when able to get out for a 5th Sat shoot at the end of Jan.

It was a beautiful day and everything was going great until disaster struck. The timer went off. I promise to never again try to do anything that requires actions of both thumbs in some type of synchronization.

New to me will be shooting clean.

Eight years in, and the best that I have done is two misses in a 6-stage match. My times are okay, but I like shooting different guns and different categories. I plan to spend 2016 shooting one set of guns and GF all year. I will shoot a stage DD if it is beyond my limited GF ability.

Gonna go black for a while and see how I like it, just to do something different. Probably shoot 777, but just want to do something ne...

Breaking out a shiney new pare of open tops in 44 special with 7.5" barrels. Should be great fun shooting them in clasic with a new rig and a hammered double. Already love the longer barrels.

Well shooting anything new not yet but I plan too. Once my 38 Bisley vaqueros get some shotgun boogie internal parts I may shoot them in duelist this summer at a month when it's too hot for cc this summer same once my S&Ws get an action job. Modern been shooting several new guns before my surgery.

Given I am just starting its all new.

I have a Uberti 1866 in 38 spcl a Stoeger colour case hardened SxS coach gun and I have just ordered (it takes 6 mths+ to be able to buy your first pistol in Aust) a pair of Uberti El Patron's in 357.

I bought a Mernickle cross draw holster and the cloths and badges for my post civil war officer alias (Major Crimes). Unfortunately it will be June before I can expect to have my pistols but I am looking forward to getting the whole shebang together and getting into this fun sport.

Howdy, Major Crimes.

The worst part of this game is getting the first set of guns working properly.

I still remember the frustration of having laid out the cash, picked out the

hardware and shipping em off for tuneups.

Finally the day came when I could practice, just days before the first match.

I sent the hardware off months before and the wait was terrible.

Been there, good luck.

Did you consider Major Major Major????

Best

CR

I replaced the sights on a GI-clone 1911 with National Match sights that will work much better for WB than the original sights. I plan to use it in Traditional this year. (I was shooting modern 1911 with three-dot sights.) For CAS no new guns but plan on shooting more matches out of my local area.

Howdy, Major Crimes.

The worst part of this game is getting the first set of guns working properly.

I still remember the frustration of having laid out the cash, picked out the

hardware and shipping em off for tuneups.

Finally the day came when I could practice, just days before the first match.

I sent the hardware off months before and the wait was terrible.

Been there, good luck.

Did you consider Major Major Major????

Best

CR

Ron,

I think it may be a bit harder finding pers to tune guns in Australia then you guys find it in the states? I am not looking fwd to any down time but then sometimes working on the improvements you can make is half the fun.

Ref my Name- I actually did but I thought Catch 22 might be a bit obscure and out of the genre for Cowboy Action :lol:

I also thought of using my real name "Devine" but it sounded a bit boastful?

My daughters never tire of telling me that I have given them a name that makes them sound like strippers :blush:

I started last year with a double barrel shotgun, a Uberti 1873 in .357 and a pair of Old style Vaqueros in .357.

This year I will be shooting Vaquero revolvers in 45Colt with BP Substitute and a new Uberti 1873 in 44-40. My original thinking was to shoot BP in the rifle but after shooting some BP substitute loads this week in my 45's, I may just stick with the powder in the 44-40 as well, time will tell.

I'm guessing that by mid year I'll have a new pair of Vaquero's in 44-40 as well.

I'm having Cody slick up a Daly 500 so I can try again with a SXS. Also managed to pick up an engraved Win 97 made in 1903. Will probably use it a bit as I really like 97's. Got enough pairs of Ruger revolvers to shoot a different set each monthly weekend; no more single action revolvers. I do shoot revolvers in IDPA, and might get a 3" Ruger GP-100 as BUG gun.

Well I will be shooting Wrangler starting Saturday. I also just received my Marlin 94CB in 38 from Widder while I regulate both of my 45's to Wild Bunch. I do have a pair of 58's that I want to start shooting when the weather becomes windy.

Archived