SASS Wire Forum

Found in cedar

Dustin Checotah

Have a large lead bullet in the wall in my wifes room. Tree was green and growing when bullet entered the aspen tree, Later the board was planned down into lumber with no holes or gaps around said bullet on either side of the board. Sorta cool when you think of the odds of finding one,

I've got a saw mill and have found many bullets when cutting up lumber. Once found a 45-70 or larger bullet that spanned into three 1" thick planks, gave it back to the rancher that gave me the logs. My living room is all rough cut beetle kill pine, 20 inch wide stuff. It came from the Remount Ranch, Tom Horn used to stay there. There is a group of 30-30 bullets in the center of 5-6 planks, the tree was about 150 years old. Tom could have used it for target practice.

The white thing looks like a trigger?

But the bullet is believable.

That's the copper jacket peeled back. Probably not white, just reflecting the light.

We ran a sawmill for over 20 years. I'm not surprised at all. We hit all manner of stuff in logs. One cherry log had a row of railroad spikes driven in it to make steps - grown over when we found them.

Those had to play hell on a saw blade! :o

Is this a Rorschach test?

When I worked in Monterey State Historic Park we had the door of the Custom House kicked open by a transient one morning at about 4:30 am. One redwood board in the door (probably 150 years old) was splintered, so the carpenter remove the old plank. He found a spackled hole in the plank that was exposed by the crack caused by the kick, and in that hole was a .36 caliber lead ball, showing signs of slight deformation of the type caused by a C&B Colt's loading lever forcing it into the revolver's chamber. We surmised that someone had fired a Navy Colt at the door (Forth of July, perhaps?). Cool finding.

People used to put all sorts of stuff in the crotches of trees and let them grow over. Axes, saws, chains, plow sweeps, barbed wire (very common) and yep backstops for target practice. I still do the latter and big cedars are a favorite.. Modern sawmills have metal detectors!

Archived