SASS Wire Forum

Looking for a Win 97 clone gunsmith for repair

Paladin Ralph

Do not ship that shotgun with live ammo in the msg tube. There has to be somebody in your SASS club that knows more about M-97's,

I have to figure out how to post pictures of the water pipe turning tool. I could do with some suggestions, as I have never done that before.

The pipe tool had to be modified to allow the cam to lock in place when you turn the tool counter-clockwise.

"Cap"

Heres a link to what I bought, its the 2nd one down the page

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Internal-Pipe-Wrenches?searchterm=1+in+Internal+Pipe+Wrench&navid=69093

The teeth are very small, if I grind them down to fit, they may not grip.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grind the top 1/2 of the notches off, level with the high spot of the shank, so the front of the tool will fit into the magazine tube, then grind off (5) notches on both sides of the slip cam, so the cam can spin around the shank to lock inside the mag tube.

Install the modified tool into the mag tube and using a crescent wrench, turn the tool counter clockwise and the torque of the mag tube threads will break free.

"Cap"

Can't get the picture of my stuck mag tube tool to download into this topic

Help !!! Anyone

"Cap"

Cap, can you email the pictures to me and I'll post them.

Thanks for your help, Cap emailed me a pic of how to modify that tool.

Looks like you may have some folks relatively close to you that could help.

Some questions and suggestions:

The question is why it is so stuck.. Could be some finish product got in the threads or damaged threads or..
Can you get the mag spring out?
I would set the gun up and let some penetrating oil soak into that joint as much as I could for several hours. Kroil is good for this but there are others.
Then I would take everything off the top of the mag tube. Protect it with a cloth and using a soft (plastic, leather etc) hammer gently tap on the end of the tube to hopefully shock the connect to break it loose.
Then you could try to use a hair dryer to warm the connection - no too hot, but 120 degrees will not be a problem, but you could not touch it that hot.
Then try the screw driver again. Or the other tools.

If the threads were stuck before, they are really stuck now with all the torque you have now applied in the Counter-Clockwise direction. Have you tried turning it in the clockwise direction at all?

Also, I have quite a few '97s and the mag tubes are usually difficult or impossible to turn unless I tweak the angle of the tube relative to the barrel till I find the sweet spot and then it screws and unscrews rather easily. So; I suggest you try the clockwise direction first and if you can get it to move a little, then try some moderate torque to unscrew it while you wiggle the tube around a little to find the angle where the threads are lined up.

A vice to hold the gun while you work on it would be essential at this point.

Using the screwdriver through the mag plug screw holes was a good idea to a point but if you have applied enough torque to bend the screwdriver. You may be screwed now (pun intended)

If you don't trust your local gunsmiths, do you know a machinist or a plumber?

Can Cap get you a replacement tube? sounds like you're gonna be needing one.

Paladin Ralph,

If you can't get this to work bring it over to me. I think I'm a little closer to you.

Cope

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

Looks like you may have some folks relatively close to you that could help.

Some questions and suggestions:

The question is why it is so stuck.. Could be some finish product got in the threads or damaged threads or..
Can you get the mag spring out?
I would set the gun up and let some penetrating oil soak into that joint as much as I could for several hours. Kroil is good for this but there are others.
Then I would take everything off the top of the mag tube. Protect it with a cloth and using a soft (plastic, leather etc) hammer gently tap on the end of the tube to hopefully shock the connect to break it loose.
Then you could try to use a hair dryer to warm the connection - no too hot, but 120 degrees will not be a problem, but you could not touch it that hot.
Then try the screw driver again. Or the other tools.

Thanks, Today I ground the inside wrench per Cap's pic and got the tube off. Now to deal with the 2 live rounds in the tube, along with the follower which is also stuck. I had the spring and all the front hardware off when I started this.

Palladian.Rod is not working on guns right now and yes I am

I thought you only made bullets.

I talked to Rod the first of last week and he is working on guns, but cant do everything he could do before the explosion because of the tools he lost.

If the threads were stuck before, they are really stuck now with all the torque you have now applied in the Counter-Clockwise direction. Have you tried turning it in the clockwise direction at all?

Also, I have quite a few '97s and the mag tubes are usually difficult or impossible to turn unless I tweak the angle of the tube relative to the barrel till I find the sweet spot and then it screws and unscrews rather easily. So; I suggest you try the clockwise direction first and if you can get it to move a little, then try some moderate torque to unscrew it while you wiggle the tube around a little to find the angle where the threads are lined up.

A vice to hold the gun while you work on it would be essential at this point.

Using the screwdriver through the mag plug screw holes was a good idea to a point but if you have applied enough torque to bend the screwdriver. You may be screwed now (pun intended)

If you don't trust your local gunsmiths, do you know a machinist or a plumber?

Can Cap get you a replacement tube? sounds like you're gonna be needing one.

I got the tube off with Caps advice, see above. I wrapped the reciever in 11-12 oz latigo and clamped it into my 10" jaw, wood vise, not too tight, just enough to keep it from twisting as I unscrewed it with a 12" cresent wrench. The tube appears to be ok and the threads look fine on both the tube and in the reviever.

Paladin Ralph,

If you can't get this to work bring it over to me. I think I'm a little closer to you.

Cope

Thanks, you and Rod are about the same distance for me.

Can't get the picture of my stuck mag tube tool to download into this topic

Help !!! Anyone

"Cap"

The process to load pics here is way to complicated for me. Prefer email and thanks for sending the pics of how I needed to grind the tool.

Paladin Ralph,

Now that you have the mag tube, slide and forearm off the gun, here is where you will have to be very careful.

I don't think your lead shot, got past the first ring on the follower, there simply isn't enough room.

And thinking more about this, I am surprised that there is still two live rounds still in the tube.

The third round dropped out, but not the second and that bothers me a great deal.

I typed out how to clear the mag tube, but I have to edit the cure off this thread, as experience tells me if the last round is still stuck and there is a round between the last round and the follower, that is a really bad and dangerous situation.

For safety sake, it is best if you leave the forearm slide and mag tube assembly all together.

I have removed stuck cartridges from magazine tubes successfully, without blowing anything up, but if I continue to explain how to go about it, I would leave myself open for liable

From here on out, I suggest you take the whole assembly to the gunsmith that works on AR's and ask him to call me.

That's the best I can do for you, short of mailing you a new magazine tube.

"Coyote Cap"

Tube is cleared with steel dental type tools which I was able to catch the shell at the rim and pull out..

Thanks to all of you for your help.

See yawl round the bend,

Paladin Ralph, ES, Proprietor

Have Cart, Will Travel

Glad to see you got the rounds out. Hope this is truly a one-time problem!

AMEN to that !!

Archived