SASS Wire Forum

Jane Got A Gun Movie

:FlagAm: Just saw preview on Tonight Show of Natalie Portman in Jane Got A Gun (remake of Hanna Caulder?). Went online and found this clip:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/natalie-portman-takes-wild-west-jane-gun-36544592

If you look at 28 second point she has shot revolver at least four times but when back-lit by fire you can see the cylinder chambers are completely empty. Who ever was their technical adviser/firearms consultant really missed the boat on that one. That's a distraction I now have due to cowboy shooting, firearm related errors in movies/TV I would have not noticed before now really stand out!

Im thinking that even if SASS shooters were invited to be the experts on these westerns some folks would still find something wrong with them.

Im thinking that even if SASS shooters were invited to be the experts on these westerns some folks would still find something wrong with them.

Naw, heck we're all experts out here! :P

I don't claim to be anywhere near an expert but would like to think I would know to put dummy rounds in chamber before filming that scene.

A. Directors don't always listen to the technical advisors.

B. There are some safety procedures that need to be followed and not having even dummy rounds in a cylinder might be one.

A detail oriented director and/or cameraman might change the angle slightly to ensure things like empty chambers aren't in view. But most probably not. How many times have you sen a slide lock back during a movie gunfight because there was only one blank in the mag? Yet the hero shoots on. ;)

I have trained myself to ignore these most common cinematic errors in westerns lest it ruin my overall viewing experience.

But I cant't watch cop shows. The guns plus the legal and procedural errors are too much for me ;)

And speaking of errors...J..W. McLintock's speech to the settlers:

"But you just can't make 'em go on the Mesa Verde. God made that country for buffalo. Serves pretty well for cattle. But it hates the plow. And even the government should know you can't farm 6000 feet above sea level!"

I'm 35 miles from Mesa Verde and at 7,100 feet. Surrounded by wheat, bean, and hay farms. :D

:FlagAm: Just saw preview on Tonight Show of Natalie Portman in Jane Got A Gun (remake of Hanna Caulder?). Went online and found this clip:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/natalie-portman-takes-wild-west-jane-gun-36544592

If you look at 28 second point she has shot revolver at least four times but when back-lit by fire you can see the cylinder chambers are completely empty. Who ever was their technical adviser/firearms consultant really missed the boat on that one. That's a distraction I now have due to cowboy shooting, firearm related errors in movies/TV I would have not noticed before now really stand out!

Ever since Bruice Lee's son was killed on set filming the Crow, film producers have cut back on "making guns appear loaded"

And speaking of errors...J..W. McLintock's speech to the settlers:

"But you just can't make 'em go on the Mesa Verde. God made that country for buffalo. Serves pretty well for cattle. But it hates the plow. And even the government should know you can't farm 6000 feet above sea level!"

I'm 35 miles from Mesa Verde and at 7,100 feet. Surrounded by wheat, bean, and hay farms. :D

And most of them have probably done quite well at it. :D

I could stand the bank account of a few of the Eastern Washington wheat farmers.

Archived