SASS Wire Forum

Rule changes/clarifications are harder on me than most . . .

Buck D. Law, SASS #62183

In the past whenever someone quoted a non existent rule I would joke that the rule must be from page 33 of RO1 . . . which didn't exist. With the recent additions, there is now a page 33. In an effort to give the book room for further expansion, I am hereby officially reserving page 37 for non existent rules like . . .

Shadow shooting is not allowed :) :) :)

What non existent rules have you encountered?

Was told emphatically that you must holster each pistol before you can draw the other........

In the past whenever someone quoted a non existent rule I would joke that the rule must be from page 33 of RO1 . . . which didn't exist. With the recent additions, there is now a page 33. In an effort to give the book room for further expansion, I am hereby officially reserving page 37 for non existent rules like . . .

Shadow shooting is not allowed :) :) :)

What non existent rules have you encountered?

They're in the RO3 manual.

Heard a story awhile back about someone being told they must have a shot shell belt, per the rule book. They couldn't stage shells.

Don't have to have a shotgun shell belt, they may be carried to the line in an approved manner but I think can only be staged "On The ClocK" unless written in the stage instructions.

Randy

1. You must wear boots

2. You must wear a hat

3. You can not wear jeans except in BW

4. You have swept yourself

5. You must holster your pistol before you move

6. You can not draw your pistol until your foot is planted

7. You have broken the 170 holstering your pistol

8. Your rifle closed as you laid it down

9. Your shotgun closed as you put it back on the vertical prop

10. P because you shot it different that the rest of the posse (when shooter given max flexibility).

11. S because you did not use club provided loading blocks

12. S because you did not put your ammo on the loading table so loading table officer could count it

Don't have to have a shotgun shell belt, they may be carried to the line in an approved manner but I think can only be staged "On The ClocK" unless written in the stage instructions.

Randy

THIS ???

1. You must wear boots

2. You must wear a hat

3. You can not wear jeans except in BW

4. You have swept yourself

5. You must holster your pistol before you move

6. You can not draw your pistol until your foot is planted

7. You have broken the 170 holstering your pistol

8. Your rifle closed as you laid it down

9. Your shotgun closed as you put it back on the vertical prop

10. P because you shot it different that the rest of the posse (when shooter given max flexibility).

11. S because you did not use club provided loading blocks

12. S because you did not put your ammo on the loading table so loading table officer could count it

Where the heck have you been shooting? I'll remember to stay away from there haha.

Randy

THIS ???

A shotgun belt is not a requirement. Carried to the stage in a pocket or belt slide is approved. After the beep, you may remove the shells from your pocket, slide or belt and stage them for use during the stage. It is only a requirement that said shells used during the stage be carried to the firing line in an approved manner. Maybe better stated as cannot be carried to the line in a disapproved manner. In some cases, this is preferable in the case of dropped shells, as if you drop them back to where they were staged prior to shooting the string, you can retrieve them.

shotgun shells must come from your person/body. Buzzer goes off you can stage them then.

Ike

Reference please.

No reference needed. There is simply no rule against this practice. Emphasis is on the fact that the shells must be carried to the firing line in an approved manner.

Page 11 of the SHB:

"Ammunition required for loading/reloading during the course of any stage must be carried on the shooter‘s person in a bandoleer, cartridge/shotshell belt loop, pouch, holster, or pocket or be safely staged as required by stage instructions. Leather belt slide ammo loops are acceptable; however, shotgun shell slides may not be worn over shotgun loops on an ammo belt. Shotgun loops must be in a single row. Rifle and revolver ammunition may not be carried in a shotshell loop. No ammunition may be carried in the mouth, ears, nose, cleavage, or any other bodily orifice."

Although it states "...or be safely staged as required by stage instructions", this does not preclude a shooter from staging such ammo after the timer has begun. If a place is available to safely stage ammo. It would, however, preclude a shooter from staging such ammo prior to the beep, (off the clock), unless it is part of the stage instructions.

Where the heck have you been shooting? I'll remember to stay away from there haha.

I think that's the list of "made up rules" he's heard over the years... not dissimilar to ones I've heard.

This was a range rule where I shot . . . once: Rifle and pistol ammo had to be laid out in four rows of five. I thought it was a joke and showed the loading table monitor that my loading strip had a mark diving the two rows of ten into four rows of five. No good. I had to take them out of the loading strip and put them on the table in four rows of five. :)

P You didn't shoot it first revolver, then second revolver, don't care if your GF it was written First revolver, then second revolver. AHHHHHHGGGG!!!!!

I saw a GF shoot two sweeps on five targets as a double tap across and argued with me that it was what he was supposed to do since it was written "with first pistol," and "with second pistol." I told him about it off the line because I was neither the TO or a spotter. He did not appreciate my input. I've actually had that occur in two different states. In the second situation, the TO called it and came to me when the shooter objected. The shooter was NOT happy.

I wish there was a "like" button for the ones listed that I've encountered before. :)

I saw a GF shoot two sweeps on five targets as a double tap across and argued with me that it was what he was supposed to do since it was written "with first pistol," and "with second pistol." I told him about it off the line because I was neither the TO or a spotter. He did not appreciate my input. I've actually had that occur in two different states. In the second situation, the TO called it and came to me when the shooter objected. The shooter was NOT happy.

I wish there was a "like" button for the ones listed that I've encountered before. :)

Wait a minute. A gunfighter argued with you? Did he know who you were?

5+1 bonus revolver - "You can't load all 6 chambers of your C&B, you have to load #6 on the clock" (Yes you can, #6 isn't considered loaded until it's capped)

Duelist - "You didn't holster your first pistol before drawing the second one." (Don't have to, as long as the first is empty)

You can't shoot your Spencer because .56-.50 isn't a pistol cartridge - this one came from a club president.

before the dropped round rule went away, picking up a dropped round was using illegal ammo.

and shooting a gun that was declared broke was a minor safety and rounds fired after that were misses

Loading table officers comment to shooter at loading table:

"you'll need to empty your pistol because I'm suppose to verify those chambers are empty before you loaded em up".

..........Widder

You can't pull both triggers on a shotgun as the same time because you're a gf. As told by a club president

You can't pull both triggers on a shotgun as the same time because you're a gf. As told by a club president

I'm guessing there had been a stage designed with a shotgun double tap? If so, show the MD RO1, page 18, item 17, the latter part being "Scoring is very difficult when both barrels of a double barreled shotgun are fired simultaneously, so stages should not be designed incorporating a shotgun double tap."

It's curious that the MD would try to say this regarding a shotgun just because you're a gunfighter. Perhaps the MD is thinking of double discharging pistols which is prohibited on page 14 of SHB. "Both revolvers may be cocked at the same time, but must be shot one at a time to facilitate scoring.

Only the Shadow knows. :)

One range was a double tap at a different range it was four evenly spaced sg targets about a foot apart. I was told i had to pause a little in between so the spotters could tell i fired four shots.

Obviously he didn't know who he was dealing with which is hard to believe. I can't believe there are people in the world that don't know the nefarious Buck D Law

He wouldn't have listened to E.F. Hutton. When people have believed something for so long, it is unimaginable to them that Ol' So and So, who's been in SASS since the beginning of time, told them wrong. :blink:

Obviously he didn't know who he was dealing with which is hard to believe. I can't believe there are people in the world that don't know the nefarious Buck D Law

I'm pretty sure he called me Buck D. Who? and a few other things. :)

Archived