SASS Wire Forum

Hat Stretcher

Hopalong Mac McLin

My size is in between a 7 3/8 and 7 1/2. This might not be a big deal, but that is the cut off point between a medium and a large hat stretcher.....so I don't know what size stretcher to buy to stretch my 7 3/8 hats to fit a bit more comfortably. If I get the large will it be too large at the smallest setting. If I get the medium it will not stretch larger that the 7 3/8. I need suggestions on a stretcher that will work.

Buy a cheap wooden hat jack at any good hat store. Buy the larger one if the cutoff is right. Have your hat stretched professionally and fitted to your head. Finally use a sander or sandpaper and shape the hat jack to fit your correctly fitted hat.

A hat that isn't worn regularly, (read that most every day) will shrink to it's original size and shape.

Hopalong,

If the contact edge (ring) of the stretcher is wood, or some type of plastic, you can always get the large stretcher and sand it down a bit at a time.

Capt R Hugh Kidnme

Thanks gents....that is the problem....buying the medium or the large. It sounds like both of you guys are suggesting buying a Large Hat Jack stretcher (minimum 7 1/2) and it should work in stretching my 7 3/8 to a slightly larger fit.

Thanks gents....that is the problem....buying the medium or the large. It sounds like both of you guys are suggesting buying a Large Hat Jack stretcher (minimum 7 1/2) and it should work in stretching my 7 3/8 to a slightly larger fit.

Or, you can put some foam padding inside the band of the larger hat like I do

The balloon idea is a good one because the balloon can be custom sized according to your wishes and when the cap is set to air dry it will retain the nice rounded shape. Inflate a balloon inside the cap after hand washing them and let them air dry. When the balloon is removed, the cap retains a nice rounded shape.

Get a turnbuckle and a couple of blocks of wood and make one. I used a scrap piece of 2x8 cut to shape with a band saw. Sand the sharp edges so it doesn't leave marks in the hat.

Mine looks similar to this:

DSC03121.jpg

A stretcher of any kind is only the starting point. Round, oval, long oval, and extra long oval are all different configurations of basic hat shapes. There are also non- classic head shapes that must be accounted for. That is why I say, have your hat custom fitted to your own head shape and size by a professional. Many of my colleagues offer the service for free or at a ridiculously low price.

Once your hat fits your head properly and comfortably, adjust and modify your hat jack to maintain that shape and size!! There sonly one other way to make a hat fit right and that is to wear it all of the time and in all kinds of weather and situations.

I have a hat that I wear constantly. It has always fit right because the man I bought it from fitted it to my head. I have several other hats that I wear only occasionally. Those hats are stored with a hat jack and in some cases I pull out my steamer and stretcher and go over them before I wear them.

I got this one ... http://www.shrinkmyhead.com/Large-Hat-Stretcher

It works real well for my 7 1/2 size head

He sells on ebay... $18 shipped

Archived