SASS Wire Forum

SHOT Show Observations

Just got back from the SHOT Show and will consolidate several recent threads in this one spot. FIRST and foremost our good friend Frederick Jackson Turner was at the show. He looked good and was in very good spirits. A bunch of us gathered in the Cimarron booth for some photos and to lie about what good shots we are. Looking forward to seeing him at Winter Range. Next some CAS news. Shotgun Boogie is moving to the United States. He has sold his home in Germany and is working with the BATF to import parts and to secure an FFL. He has had a custom trailer built so he can attend the larger shoots to sell and install his custom made go-fast parts. We will now be able to easily order parts and have them installed right here in the good ole USA! Next up as many of you know after U.S. Grant, SASS #2, died the future of his company, EMF, was uncertain. The good news is that EMF has found a buyer and is coming back bigger and better than ever. They had a lot of new product on display. The purchasers are brothers whose family name is well know to shooters worldwide. Two of the Pietta brothers have purchased EMF. EMF will remain a stand alone company and is not part of Pietta Firearms. Great news for all involved.

Now onto questions posed in other threads about some guns. First, everyone wants to now about the new Winchester 66. This year all that will be available are the highly engraved 150th Anniversary models. They ARE made by Miroku and starting next year there will be plain jane models available. The initial caliber will be .44-40 followed by .38 Special. (No .357s with the brass frame!) Couldn't handle the pretty one much but it does have the same firing pin safety as the Winchester 73. Nicely finished like all Mirokus. The price. It will be about $100.00 MORE than a similar 73. The increased price is attributed to the fact that brass costs more than steel. Here is the 150th Anniversay model for those of you who can't wait until next year.

IMG_0984_zps4uxxhahy.jpg

The 66 is nice looking. However the 150th Anniversay 1873 is drop dead gorgous!

IMG_0985_zpsgwpbxkfc.jpg

Next up Navy Arms. Navy Arms is selling the Winchester 73 that is refinished by Turnbull and restocked with beautiful wood.

IMG_0973_zpsybpiavzh.jpg

Navy is also selling a "proprietary" finish they call French Grey. They would not go into detail about what exactly this finish is.

IMG_0976_zpscon8n5dq.jpg

The other gun Navy Arms had on display with a fully "Turnbulled" Pedersoli Lightning.

Moving down to the Hodgdon Booth the good news for a lot of people is that Clays is back in full production and is supposed to start shipping in quantify in the next month or two. Clays had been made in Australia and production was moved to Canada. After a few fits and starts everything is supposed to be back up and running.

IMG_0975_zpsmzmgmto7.jpg

Taylors had a stunning new display with all their wares out where they could be handled and fondled. On many of their firearms they are now offering guns that are "Taylor Tuned" and they are set up side by side with out-of-the-box models so you can feel the different. You pays your money and takes your choice.

IMG_0982_zpscge91e5n.jpg

Cimarron was out in full force displaying al their wares including the final production and ready for sale Pietta factory short stroked single actions.

IMG_0983_zpsxmjf0jeq.jpg

I went by the Colt booth and pretty much all that was on display and available for handling were 1911s. At first I didn't think they had any Single Action Armies on display. However, I went around the corner and there was a small display with some SAAs in a glass case. The head of the Custom Shop was sitting there so we had a long conversation. Bottom line is that production of the SAA is about 100 guns per month. As a result there are only two people buiding single actions. One person doing the polishing and metal work and one assembling the guns. They are going to try and ensure that anyone that orders a SAA will get their gun in 12 to 18 months. He said a few years ago Colt tried to build enough inventory so that SAAs were on dealers shelves or readily available for order from distributors. They got up to around 5,000 guns per year but the guns simply did not sell so they scaled back production. Thus, it looks like the SAA wil soldier on but buyers will have to be patient. It is a good thing they were in a glass case or the fully engraved one with bright white ivory grips may have gotten a little drool on it.

That's awesome, Larsen. Thank you for this. I really appreciate it. That's really good news about the upcoming 66's, though I find it funny that the brass cost more than the steel. Who would have thought that back in the late 1800's? I would like to hear more about your conversation with the Colt Custom guy. Was his name Brent? 12-18 months is better than the 18-24 I was recently quoted.

Is Hodgdon's Universal in production? Went into Cabella's today, and they have an excellent supply of reloading smokeless powders...but NO Univeral! :(

The three "Clays" powders are on the poster so I assme so. I only specified asked about regular plain old Clays.

That's awesome, Larsen. Thank you for this. I really appreciate it. That's really good news about the upcoming 66's, though I find it funny that the brass cost more than the steel. Who would have thought that back in the late 1800's? I would like to hear more about your conversation with the Colt Custom guy. Was his name Brent? 12-18 months is better than the 18-24 I was recently quoted.

He was out of business cards so if my note is correct his name was Brent Torch. And he did say he wanted to be able to assure customers they can expect their guns in 12 to 18 months.

I can't tell from the picture, does the 1866 have the lever/trigger safety like the 1873?

Nope. It is built with a one piece trigger like an original 66.

Great report and you are right...the 66's are beautiful! Like to have the engraved one just to stick in my gun case just to look at from time to time!

The reason the shot show looks like they trailer to the tactical crowd is because that's where the money is. I'm shoot several styles of guns CAS for the comrade and fun, modern long range for the challenge, tactile because I can, CCW to protect myself and property which is legal here.so I've seen several different reports from the shot show most were modern stuff but really enjoyed the change in equipment that Larsen showed us and the great news about fjt and emf.

Larsen will shotgun be at WR with his trailer and parts as I've been wanting to rebuild a couple of Ruger Bisleys in 38/357.

Larsen will shotgun be at WR with his trailer and parts as I've been wanting to rebuild a couple of Ruger Bisleys in 38/357.

??? Do you mean will Shotgun Boogie be at WR? Yes he is signed up to be a vendor.

Thanks for the report. Nice write up.

Really glad to hear about the clays!

OMG that 73 is GORGEOUS!!

Stone

Thanks for the great report Larsen.

... A bunch of us gathered in the Cimarron booth for some photos and to lie about what good shots we are...

Do you happen to have one of those group photos? I'm not sure whose camera/phones were used. I'd love to have it.

Thanks for the great report Larsen.

Do you happen to have one of those group photos? I'm not sure whose camera/phones were used. I'd love to have it.

Don't have the photos and I was wondering the same thing. I think it was Frederick Jackson's camera.

Larsen,

thanks for the report on FJT. All of us sure wish him well.

Did Remington have any Marlin 1894's on display? The only ones I've seen lately have been the standard looking rifles in .44 Mag.

Just curious.

..........Widder

I have and i did and I don't see what would disqualify it. Care to elaborate?

Read it again:

Rifles: Any SASSlegal rifle of 1880 or later design or a replica thereof (e.g., Burgess,

Lightning Rifle, 1892, 1894 Winchester or Marlin).

Last I checked 1866 was before 1880.

Archived