SASS Wire Forum

Black Gold 2016

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is why what happens at Black Gold...........

Less than three weeks 'til the best party east of the Mississippi!! OH!! YEAH!! There's a shootin' match too!!

AND!! The hosts of the best party WEST of the Mississippi are joining us!!!

BEST PARTY!! ROUND ONE!!! Coming up!!

time to make the bullets :P

so whats a feller need fer Black Gold

what are the side matches

Scratch

Oh lordy,

They are a bunch of games/contest that the EVIL ONE...Whiskey Creek Johnson and his henchmen come up with.

Roping, spit ball shooting, golf, all with an evil twist.

There is nothing you can practice for. You just have to show up and be ready for ANYTHING!

THAT'S WHAT MAKES THIS THE BEST MATCH IN SASS!!

As JUDGE stated.

PLUS, Snipe roping. You venture out into the local woods with a rope and try to capture (alive) a Snipe.

Copperhead Joe will release some grain raised wild Snipe during the week. They will be plump from Joe's feeding these past few months.

The one who ropes (or captures) the weightiest Snipe will probably get a free entry into next years Black Gold, plus bragging rights.

I captured 2 small ones last year but I think Blackwater won the contest because he roped a much larger Snipe than anyone. I think it was rigged, but I can't prove it.

..........Widder

the wild ones taste better but it takes 10-20 to make a decent meal

Snipe Ninja :ph34r:

What's this snipe thing?

I never even heard of it last year.

And a free entry to Black Gold.

You'll never get me out of the woods.

Waimea

What's this snipe thing?

Waimea

OK boys, I think we gotta give our buddy here some snipe huntin lessons!

One thing to remember is, since yer gonna be deep in the woods, make sure to wear insect repellent. You also gotta look out for poison ivy. Now when I say look out for it, there are two reasons for that. First, you don't want to get into it, unless you're one of the lucky ones who aren't allergic to it. But you do need to find it, because snipes usually nest in poison ivy.

I'm sure Widder and Blackwater will have some more advice for ya!

What's this snipe thing?

Waimea

You were too busy worrying about all the OUTLAW competition.

Besides, with all the other activities and the select, secluded nature of going out into the woods for Snipe, its easy to not know about it.

BUT, this year, Joe has managed to make it more lucrative by raising some grain fed Snipe and releasing them during the week of BG.

I've heard that one of them is a rare albino Snipe. Most of them are grey/brownish like some groundhogs.

Bring your amplified ear muffs because Snipe have a distinct 'whistle' or chirp sound when communicating. The sound resembles the noise made when grease gets hot in the frying pan and starts to pop.

The Snipe whistle is like that popping sound and its normally done in repetitive 'pops' but often referred to as a whistle.

..........Widder

Judge is right.

I have commandeered many a successful SNIPE hunts in the Southeast.

In all honesty, KY isn't a hot bed for Snipe. Thats why Joe knew it was important to raise a few and turn em loose during the week of BG.

Your real hot bed for Snipe is Georgia, particularly below Atlanta. And the closer you are to Valdosta, the better.

Middle TN is also another good place for Snipe, especially around the Wartrace area where there are some big open areas and farm lands.

I do have a respectable fee but for a fellow Cowboy attending a big match like BG, my fees will be only nominal and most appropriate. Of course, I will probably donate it all to a local charity of Joe's and Ms.Bo.

..........Widder

If you modern techno types look hard enough you can find an app on your phone that works as a Snipe locator and caller.

IIRC, it was developed by Rovio in conjunction with the Angry Birds apps for i-Phone and Android.

For us experienced hill folk, years of 'sperience make the endeavor more effortless!!

If you modern techno types look hard enough you can find an app on your phone that works as a Snipe locator and caller.

IIRC, it was developed by Rovio in conjunction with the Angry Birds apps for i-Phone and Android.

For us experienced hill folk, years of 'sperience make the endeavor more effortless!!

Very few folks know this about Blackwater, but in middle Tennessee, his nickname around the local Co-ops and sporting goods stores is 'Snipe' because of his knowledge of these game birds.

There is actually one of the rare 'Red Snipes' that has been stuffed and on display at the local farm suppliers in Bell Buckle that Blackwater (Snipe) captured during his more venturous years.

The Red Snipe isn't nearly as rare as the Albino Snipe, but this particular Red Snipe is a Male, where most all other Red Snipes are known to be female.

The local farmers supply in Bell Buckle is either Tractor Supply, John Deere or Co-Op. I actually don't remember what its called.

Oh yea, there is a pix of 'Snipe' sitting on a little dirt bike beside that stuffed Red Snipe. He looked much younger then. He will have to tell you the year this happened. Of course, he later grew into riding them big bikes.

..........Widder

Thinking I might just back slowly away from the Snipe competition.

I'm thinking I got more chance of winning LRC against Miss Bo (who never loses).

Waimea

Thinking I might just back slowly away from the Snipe competition.

I'm thinking I got more chance of winning LRC against Miss Bo (who never loses).

Waimea

You gotta be careful when backing in the KY woods, you're mighten ta just back into a snipe!

Kajun

In the past we have put together a motorcycle ride on Wednesday of this match. No reason not to do it again. If you are interested in taking a ride on Wednesday come join us. We try to leave out of Pondarossa Pines around 10:00, we try to get back round 4:00 or so. Everyone is welcome.

I know Doc, Cactus, Bitterroot, sometimes Blackwater, plan to be there.

No way.

I bunch of Cowgirls are gonna tie him up during the match and some Cowboys are gonna put PNut butter in his rifle and SG, just in case he escapes from the Cowgirls... :)

..........Widder

In the past we have put together a motorcycle ride on Wednesday of this match. No reason not to do it again. If you are interested in taking a ride on Wednesday come join us. We try to leave out of Pondarossa Pines around 10:00, we try to get back round 4:00 or so. Everyone is welcome.

so this moto cickle ride is this on road or off??

I'm thinkin Cash Proffitt will be doin the ride as well.

More than welcome. Look forward to seeing everyone. As my good friend and recently retired hero, this will be on road unless you take a curve too wide.

The way things happen on this ride, it will surprise me if all the bikes come back rolling.

MISSOURI LEFTY MIGHT WIN BUFFY, BUT HE IS PLAYING WITH A HANDICAP.

He has to carry Waimea on his back on 8 of 10 stages.

That ought to level the playing field for you.

I don't think I have ever shot with an OVERALL World Champion.

BUT, I have slept at a Holiday Inn Express and I have shot with TN Tombstone and Judge Em All.

..........Widder

I don't think I have ever shot with an OVERALL World Champion.

BUT, I have slept at a Holiday Inn Express and I have shot with TN Tombstone and Judge Em All.

..........Widder

MEEEEEEEE TOOOOOOO!!!!

Sooo one more question about this here moto sicle ride.

is we riding cowboy, or civvies

Scratch

It's kinda' informal. Tombstone keeps his cowboy hat in the box on the back of his bike and sometimes wears it riding. Kentucky is topless so you don't hafta' wear your skid lid.

Archived