SASS Wire Forum

Railroad Spike Tomahawk

Bama Red

I've got an old railroad spike that I would like to get made into a 'hawk. That should be feasible, based on what I've seen on YouTube, but if not, then a knife would be perfectly acceptable.

It seems that the type spike needed is a high carbon (HC) spike and I don't know how to tell the difference between an HC and a regular spike, but this spike has personal meaning to me and is what I would prefer to use.

Just wondering if any of the Pards on here were 'smiths or had experience with this type of work and had any good advice for me. Oh, yeah - my budget is severely limited. :(

Howdy,

I have knife made from a RR spike. Bob White Jr made it.

The spike was picked up in a RR yard and heated, twisted below the head

then hammered flat for about a three inch blade.

I bought it direct from Bob and it has a nice sheath he made.

Its just a spike, no grip or cross piece.

It was not very expensive and various know it all types say it wasn't a spike.

I haven't used it much, just like the look.

Twisting it in the grip area was a nice idea.

Best

CR

maybe consider a flat spring from the rear suspension of most any old American car???

If it is a wall hanger then it doesn't matter if it is high or low carbon steel.

If you want a useable durable weapon that will hold an edge, then you would want a high carbon steel spike.

Any good smith will be able to tell you what the carbon content of the spike is using a spark test.

I don't think you will have to worry about a railroad spike being a "high-carbon" one or not.

CR, could you post a pic of your knife or send it to me in an email? I found a phone number for Bob White, Jr., farrier, in Mechanicsville, VA, but would like to see the knife before I call him.

CR, could you post a pic of your knife or send it to me in an email? I found a phone number for Bob White, Jr., farrier, in Mechanicsville, VA, but would like to see the knife before I call him.

Bama, remember, although Mr White may be a skilled 'smith, a farrier is one whose specialty is hooves and who may have minimal blacksmithing skills. There's a good deal of difference between shaping horseshoes and forging blades... ;)

By the same token, a crackerjack blacksmith may not necessarily be a farrier... :)

I can beat out simple tools all day long... but don' let me near a horse! ^_^

Smithing1_zps3de88ede.jpg

Exactly what I was thinking, Hardpan. That's why I wanted to see a pic of the knife - give me a better idea of Mr. White's skills.

Bama!

I have a friend who is the president of the blacksmiths association here in middle Tennessee. Call me tomorrow and I'll get the two of you hooked up!!

Bama Red,

Check your pm, ship me an emule and I have pix I just took for you.

Best

CR

ps, this was in 1994, stamped into the knife....He could have moved.

Archived