SASS Wire Forum

OT - thoughts on .22 mag rifle

Hogleg Hunter

Although I no longer shoot nor own a .22 Mag, I like the looks and reputation of the Savage. I think its the model 93 series.

That being stated, I ain't so sure that .22 Mag ammo is easy to acquire.

On the other hand, .17 HMR ammo seems to be more available.

I own a CZ 455 in .17 HMR and Savage also makes a great .17 HMR rifle in the 93 series.

..........Widder

What calibers of ammunition are allowable? Rimfire only?

Didn't Ruger at one time make the 10-22 in .22 magnum?

I sure wouldn't want to have to confront a feral hog that had been tick off because it had been shot with an inadequate firearm.

JMHO but no rimfire cartridge currently available is adequate for hunting hogs. Even at point blank ranges the odds of penetrating heavy bone in an adult hog are not very good. Too many chances for a wounded animal.

Can't beat a Winchester 9422M..... if you can find an early one in good shape.

I had two, gave one to my son (which got stolen) and one that I sold when the "hungries" closed in and we needed food more than a rifle.

Wish I had one now.

Daughter has inherited a very nice 9422 built in 1973. That thing is a tack driver, and a pussycat at the same time. About as fine a rimfire as has ever been made.

would not go anywhere near a feral hog with JUST that rifle. 22mag isn't enough power for those thick-skinned devils.

I have used a Marlin Model 25 for 20 plus years. Killed more squirrels, crows, starlings, than I can remember. It has also attributed to the demise of a couple of Coyotes and several Armadillo's.

A body shot would be dicey on a big hog. Head shot depending on the angle.

I have heard of a folks using 22 LR for hogs.

A small game weapon is any rimfire, shotgun with #4 shot or smaller, archery equipment or muzzleloader.

Body shots would be out. I have talked with several game wardens who claimed it could be done. Point of aim is the ear shooting from the side. If you have a ccw license you can carry a handgun while hunting. Relief could be .45 inch away.

Of course a .50 caliber muzzleloader could be the smart answer but I like the ease and convenience of a breechloader.

Having hunted feral hogs when I was a lot younger, with the ammunition listed in the previous post, I would not go out in the field. We used 12ga shotgun slugs at close range in the woods and swamp.

With the above list of choices...... I would rather have a sharp stick.

We use to stun hogs at the slaughter house with a 22 rifle to ear. With proper placement it does the job of stunning. This gives you enough time to enter the pen and slit the throat.

Many hogs wake up prior to the completion of this procedure. A good low fence and quick feet are your friend at this point.

I think it's dangerous and crude to go after feral hogs with rimfire ammo. They are fast, savage, run in drifts, and worst case, can knock you down, tear you to pieces, and eat you, At distance, even if the hog goes down with the first rimfire round, it may take several rounds to kill it. That's not good.

If your game regs allow any center fire ammo, then 5.56/.223 is a good round in an AR or other semi, or a bolt rifle.

EDIT:

How many rounds are allowed in the shotgun?

Feral hogs are not game animals and eradication should be the order of the day.

Can't beat a Winchester 9422M..... if you can find an early one in good shape.

I had two, gave one to my son (which got stolen) and one that I sold when the "hungries" closed in and we needed food more than a rifle.

Wish I had one now.

What he said!

I'm always looking for one that I can afford. Got a 9422 - want an M!

SC

Howdy,

A friend of mine has a win 9422 mag for sail and I think he wants about 11 or 12 hunnert for it.

And guess what....it comes WITH ammo.

I would use something bigger for hogs. 44 mag not 22 mag. There ya go.

Best

CR

Hogleg, I suggest that your Georgia lawmakers are idiots and should be forced to go hunting hogs with firearms that meet these requirements.

With that said, Henry makes very useable .22 mag lever guns that can be found and afforded much easier than the 9422M, thought the Winchester is a nicer gun.

.22 mag seems to have been on the shelves in my area, even when .22 LR has been scarce.

A solid none, non-hollow point would be the 'best' option due to increased penetration.

That said, I would still opt to wait until the law is changed because some underarmed hunter gets injured or hogs are injured and not brought down.

In their infinite wisdom DNR only allows small game weapons for hunting feral hogs on public land. So, I am looking for the most bang for my buck in a .22mag rifle. Any recommendations?

When did that change? E.g., they used to allow AR/sks and anything else on Chickasawhatchee but each WMA has its own rules it seems so you have to do some investigating..

Heres what it says about National Parks though:

National Forest Lands (outside of WMAs)

Hogs may be taken with archery equipment during archery deer season, with deer weapons during firearms deer season, with turkey weapons during turkey season and with small game weapons during small game season. Feral hogs may be hunted with dogs with appropriate weapons restrictions while training dogs during dates when training season coincides with small game or turkey season. See Dogs & Dog Training for dog training seasons and rules. No limit. No night hunting. No hunting over bait. Hunting license requirements must be met. Hunter orange is required during firearms and primitive weapons deer seasons.

Ditto Marshal TKD. My Marlin Model 25M is 30+ years old. Adult sized, smooth bolt, good trigger & ground squirrel accurate out to 100-125 yards with Winchester 40 grain hollow points. It has taken numerous coon, feral cats, rabbits, prairie dogs & ground squirrels.

If you check page 16 of the 2015-2016 Georgia Hunting Seasons & Regulations there are no restrictions on firearms used to hunt feral hogs; except for WMA's or Federal lands. The URL for the online regulations is http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/pageFlip/

JD

I consider public land to be WMA and other govt land hence the need for a small game caliber. Hunting private land would be nice but I am not a deer hunter so between that and the time spent CAS a hunting club membership would be a waste of money for me. Just wanted to go a few days when the weather isn't warm enough for anything else.

Archived