SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Vaqueroes

Col Del Rio

Greetings,

I have a matched set of 38 cal Ruger revolvers. I have heard of a form of short throw kit for them (akin to short stroke kits for rifles). Is there anything to this? If so can they be acquired and installed without hiring a gunsmith?

Thanks all

Colonel Del Rio

Howdy,

First, what categories do you shoot in? If you're shooting with the gun in two hands, you may not get much out of the investment.

The short-stroked pistols are more of a help if you're shooting in a duelist or gunfighter category. If you're new to this sport, you might find that investing in having your guns tuned and then practicing transitions, practicing smooth loading and reloading the shotgun, practicing pistol drills, and then practicing some more, will help far above the pistol short-strokin'.

Howdy,

First, what categories do you shoot in? If you're shooting with the gun in two hands, you may not get much out of the investment.

The short-stroked pistols are more of a help if you're shooting in a duelist or gunfighter category. If you're new to this sport, you might find that investing in having your guns tuned and then practicing transitions, practicing smooth loading and reloading the shotgun, practicing pistol drills, and then practicing some more, will help far above the pistol short-strokin'.

+1000

If so can they be acquired and installed without hiring a gunsmith?

No, not really. Slightly complicated, and some versions of the technique require special tools and skills.

When you are ready for the short cocking stroke on revolvers, seek out the fellers who do these. It will be worth the funds.

Good luck, GJ

IMHO it is a waste of money. I shoot duelist & gunfighter and for me their just wasn't any benefit. I'm not the fastest, but I do OK. The best return for the $$$ is SBH hammers. The lower hammer tang really helps my thumbs!

Just sayin.....................

I shot short stroked & tuned Rugers for 3 years, & my wife shot an identical set for a year. She had a problem in doing the "Ruger Run", & one of the fast guys suggested she get lighter springs. Since the short stroked springs were as light as I could go & still fire the primers, I sent her set to Jimmy Spurs for a full tune, & the standard full stroke.

I shot several strings alternating between the short strokes & the full strokes & didn't see any difference with a timer. You can go a lot lighter on the springs with the full strokes. By the way, my wife & I both shoot two-handed.

I could almost flip a coin, but if I were buying a set today, I'd go with the full strokes. However, there's not enough difference for me to spend the money to get mine redone.

And, if I were advising a good friend who was starting out, I'd recommend they stay with the full standard stroke, but go with a full tune & light springs.

And, if I were advising a good friend who was starting out, I'd recommend they stay with the full standard stroke, but go with a full tune & light springs.

But what if your were advising "someone else?" :D :D :D

Good advice though. This is definitely something most should try before they buy. There are some folks out there with the short stroke pistols that would be glad to show them off for you. Then make your choice.

This same theory gets tossed around and debated about short stroked rifles. If short stroked rifles and short stroked pistols did not help then why are so many of the top shooters using them? I shoot duelist and would not consider getting rid of my short strokes. (Rifle or pistol.)

I had mine done ten tears ago by mr Ruger (Wes Flowers). I enjoy the half cock more than them short stroke now days I got a new set of 38 Bisleys that need to be done. I'm looking for the Shotgun Boogie replacement parts that add the half cock and short stroke. They were shown in the chronical a couple years back by Larsen.

I do not like the short stroke pistols myself, having shot them once. Unnatural feel to me. A good action job is enough for me.

On a rifle, I have to say they are worth it in a 66/73, but I shoot Marlins 'cause I like them better than any tuned 66/73 I ever handled, well except for a 66 I shot set up by Ron Snover.

Super Blackhawk Hammers are great. Bisleys are even better.

I shot short stroked & tuned Rugers for 3 years, & my wife shot an identical set for a year. She had a problem in doing the "Ruger Run", & one of the fast guys suggested she get lighter springs. Since the short stroked springs were as light as I could go & still fire the primers, I sent her set to Jimmy Spurs for a full tune, & the standard full stroke.

I shot several strings alternating between the short strokes & the full strokes & didn't see any difference with a timer. You can go a lot lighter on the springs with the full strokes. By the way, my wife & I both shoot two-handed.

I could almost flip a coin, but if I were buying a set today, I'd go with the full strokes. However, there's not enough difference for me to spend the money to get mine redone.

I would give the same advise unless they were shooting gunfighter or duelist, in which case they might prefer the short stroke.

This same theory gets tossed around and debated about short stroked rifles. If short stroked rifles and short stroked pistols did not help then why are so many of the top shooters using them? I shoot duelist and would not consider getting rid of my short strokes. (Rifle or pistol.)

Apples to oranges comparison.

I know all the 'top shooters' in Georgia and I'm pretty confident the majority of them do not shoots short stroked pistols, though I'm pretty sure all of them have short stroked rifles. Obviously there's a significant difference in motion saved between the two.

According to Captain Baylor you're saving about 3 inches of travel with a short-stroked rifle. A while back I compared the travel on a pair of short stroked Wes Flowers guns (great guns by the way) to a pair of non short stroked Jimmy Spurs guns (also great guns). The difference looked to be less than an inch, maybe 1/2 an inch to 3/4. Perhaps very handy when you're shooting one handed, not nearly as big of an advantage when you're shooting two handed. From my perspective, when you're a top shooter every tenth of a second, maybe even hundredths of a second counts. So I can understand that many of them opt for the short stroke. For the rest of us mere mortals it doesn't make much of a difference.

As stated before, if you're shooting two handed and slip hammering, there is no real advantage. But, if you shoot gunfighter or duelist, there is a world of difference in short stroked pistols.

I just got my short stroked Piettas with lowered hammers and 1860 grips. I like my short stroked Rugers, but the Piettas have become my favorite pistols.

I love my West Fargo (Wes Flowers) .45 Colt Ruger Revolvers. I also had some .44s and .38s done as loaners for newbies. I

find that newbies, of course, don't notice but this elderly gunfighter sure does. Of course, there are not too many others in my

category :( so it's hard to tell if it makes much difference.

Okay so if a replacement hammer OEM costs $30, a power custom hammer and trigger with springs costs $200...where on earth does $430 for a short stroke hammer come into reasonable? I understand recouping R&D costs, but that's a bit steep for a lonesome hammer that drops in, maybe for a set of two...could be something there.

Okay so if a replacement hammer OEM costs $30, a power custom hammer and trigger with springs costs $200...where on earth does $430 for a short stroke hammer come into reasonable? I understand recouping R&D costs, but that's a bit steep for a lonesome hammer that drops in, maybe for a set of two...could be something there.

The short strokes don't just drop in. I watched while Shotgun Boogie did a set of my vaquero Bisleys and there's a bit more to it, quite a bit.

The timing also needs to be changed, requiring a new and longer pawl. All this needs to be fitted by someone who knows how. Like the expert who charges $10 to come in and push the right button to solve a problem, and $1,000 for knowing which button to push.

CR

Short stroke long stroke whatever if you believe the modification will help you shoot faster and practice it probably will. We can argue all day about which of the three factors improved performance, the modificatoin, the belief the modification would help, or the practice. Thru the behold it is most likely a combination. No way really to determine the relative weights on the final outcome. If it takes spending the money on the mod to get you to believe you will shoot faster spend it. If you can get yourself to believe your equipment is adequate and practice will help you shoot fasterling spend the saved money on ammo or components. You will know when your skills have progressed to the point you can fun faster than your guns,that is the time to get the mods.

The only one I know of who is a short stroke manufacturer would be Shotgun Boogie, he has done remarkable short stroke kits, and is a genius in my opinion on the Rugers. He is probably on Gen 25 or 30 now, will they make your gun cycle faster...yes....will they make you a faster shooter...that depends on the shooter. Sit down and have a conversation with him and you will understand them much more. They are a great innovation in the sport.

The only one I know of who is a short stroke manufacturer would be Shotgun Boogie, he has done remarkable short stroke kits, and is a genius in my opinion on the Rugers. He is probably on Gen 25 or 30 now, will they make your gun cycle faster...yes....will they make you a faster shooter...that depends on the shooter. Sit down and have a conversation with him and you will understand them much more. They are a great innovation in the sport.

Shotgun Boogie is a gem. I'm glad he's here permanently and his SS and action jobs are amazing. I visited with him yesterday at The Cowboys match and you can tell that he's happy here in his new home. CJ is correct, if you ever get the chance ask him about his SS kits, they don't just drop in.

Archived