SASS Wire Forum

Question about refinishing guns.

Dorado

I have a pair of Uberti Cattleman Hombres with the black finish. It's not bad I just like blued metal better. I got these because at the time they were the only pair in town. I was wondering about refinishing them. How difficult is it to remove the black coating and blue them?

I have a pair of Uberti Cattleman Hombres with the black finish. It's not bad I just like blued metal better. I got these because at the time they were the only pair in town. I was wondering about refinishing them. How difficult is it to remove the black coating and blue them?

that is all gonna depend , on how rough they are under the black coating

as I have not seen , any with that removed , I can NOT tell you what you will find

was it me , I would look for a set already in blue

Chickasaw Bill

Generally speaking, as much as 30% of the cost of making a gun can be the final finish. This is because it is mostly hand work polishing and prepping the surfaces for the final finish. The reason they use a matte finish is because it doesn't require a high polish. It covers minor blems and machining flaws.

DSCN0355_zpsxoywrzig.jpg

The customer didn't like the original Ruger color-case so his Ruger Vaq and Win 86 both got new blue plus Turnbull color-case

If you want a good looking blue refinish job, a gunsmith can probably strip, polish and blue each revolver for about $200-250.

A lot of money to sink into Hombres.

Probably cheaper to unload them and buy what you really want. Buying cowboy guns really is "no time to get in a hurry."

Can this be a table-top tinkerer job? Not really - it will always look substandard to a professional polish and blue job. Polished off sharp edges, dished out screw holes, weak lettering, and color inconsistency are usual results of a DIY job.

See also from a couple of weeks ago:

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=245975

Good luck, GJ

ah, so. I'm SOL then.

Damn. Nevermind then. Thanks

Don't suppose anyone would like to trade their factory blues for my Hombres would they?

Probably not. oh well. I'll just keep these and invest in some show ponies later.

Generally speaking, as much as 30% of the cost of making a gun can be the final finish. This is because it is mostly hand work polishing and prepping the surfaces for the final finish. The reason they use a matte finish is because it doesn't require a high polish. It covers minor blems and machining flaws.

DSCN0355_zpsxoywrzig.jpg

The customer didn't like the original Ruger color-case so his Ruger Vaq and Win 86 both got new blue plus Turnbull color-case

Those are beautiful!

DSCN0355_zpsxoywrzig.jpg

Outstanding. I just sent my original 73 out for the Turnbull case coloring. If it looks half as good as that 86, I'll be a very happy camper indeed.

FWIW, most factory blued guns just looked like polished black. Look at the pic about, for example. The part that isn't CCH looks pretty black to me. The guns with the charcoal blue, or carbona blue as Uberti calls it, is not the norm. My daughter's Uberti '73 is this blue, and I don't think I have seen more than 2 guns like it in the 15 years I have been shooting SASS. The top is my daughter's '73 and the bottom is my wife's '66.

blues_zpskhnmenge.jpg

FWIW, most factory blued guns just looked like polished black. Look at the pic about, for example. The part that isn't CCH looks pretty black to me. The guns with the charcoal blue, or carbona blue as Uberti calls it, is not the norm. My daughter's Uberti '73 is this blue, and I don't think I have seen more than 2 guns like it in the 15 years I have been shooting SASS. The top is my daughter's '73 and the bottom is my wife's '66.

blues_zpskhnmenge.jpg

I'd prefer factory blued to the Matte black parkerized look that I currently have.

If the Hombres feel good in your hands and you shoot well with them but just can't stand the factory finish, consider antiquing them yourself. Virtually zero expense, some elbow grease, and you will have some interesting looking guns. I did that to a pair of Ruger Old Armies and they are my main match revolvers.

Google "Longshot Logan" and follow his procedures, or send me your email and I will send you his info.

If you don't like shooting them and don't like the finish, cut your losses and buy something else.

Howdy,

Lets say you get your guns stripped and a fine polish done and a first class blue applied.

No turnbull finish, just the blue you asked for.

NOW, how are you going to feel about shooting and using those guns at local matches?

How are you going to like scratches in that finish, a little wear around the muzzle?

This is the same situation I had with a car. I really wanted a beautiful paint job but I knew

the first mark would freak me out. So I just touched it up and left It the original color.

I autocrossed the heck out of it. I enjoyed that five liter motor to the MAX.

And when it got dented, it got fixed and I drove on.

When I sold it the first thing the new owner did was sand off that largely original paint

and repaint it. He put a lot of money into that. I just shook my head.

He moved out of state and I don't have to hear about it any more.

Maybe save up and buy one really fine lookin six shooter?

Let these take the daily wear and tear?

Best

CR

My uberti's had the matte finish , I used a scotch brite pad to give them a aged look

5162459ab621ebaff56a7a8a5137f54a_zps48bd

Mine are getting that aged look from my holsters. I'm going to keep them the way they are for now. Later on when I feel like upgrading I'll spend the money and get the ones I really want. 1872 Army in 44 colt, or whatever is equivalent.

Outstanding. I just sent my original 73 out for the Turnbull case coloring. If it looks half as good as that 86, I'll be a very happy camper indeed.

You won't be disappointed. Over the years Turnbull has done several for me. Folks send me their current production Miroku 92's and 86's to have the rebounding hammer/ inertia firing pin fire control converted to the traditional 1/4 cock/ full length firing pin. This leaves the modern tang safety as non-functional. That hole gets filled and because even hot salt bluing doesn't always cover welds real good I will send their guns to Turnbull for the color-case.

This is a late model Miroku 86 conversion.

009.jpg

Turnbull does a phenomenal job of replicating Marlin color-case too.

003-2.jpg

Archived