SASS Wire Forum

Pet Peeves

I presume your "library" was pointed at those cretins that say "Lie-bury".

We'uns down here have a Lie-brary

And if that U weren't there, we'd most likely have a Feb-brary.

But it is, and we don't say it like that.

There are two much overused cliches that have started to grate on me:

1. "At the end of the day."

2. "It is what it is."

But, at the end of the day, does it matter? I guess I just have to except that it is what it is. <_<

Hijacking merrily away -

lie-barry

You apparently did not like my lie-bury.

Down here, we'uns say "Barry" (like Barry Manilow), "Berry" (like strawberry) and "Bury" (like what's done at a funeral), and they all sound the same.

Do they sound different up there?

Now, I hear the difference between cot and caught, between your and you're, between there and they're (but not there and their) and several other words that are supposed to sound alike.

But not Barry/berry/bury.

edit: Although, I have heard people say "burry" (sounds like furry) for the funeral one, but I always thought they were puttin' it on - like pronouncing "head" as "hay-ed (haid)" I ain't never heard anybody do that for real - just books and bad-southern-accents in movies.

By the way, that is a two-syllable word there - "gonna whup on his hay-ed"

Pet peeves:

-Arresting a G.I. only to have him loudly complain how I have no idea what it's like to serve my country in combat

-Having G.I. file a complaint stating I targeted him because he is a G.I.

-Having a citizen file a complaint claiming I was lenient on a G.I. because he is a G.I.

By the way, I have more time in combat than any of these jackwagons have in the Army. The EVIDENCE determines my actions, not someone's status.

How 'bout those folks with handicap tags on their cars parking in a parking spot a hundred yards from the front door of Wal-Mart when they have their own damn spots right up front? Makes my blood boil. :lol:

Archived