SASS Wire Forum

Small frame revolvers

Howdy,

I'm starting a search for a new set of pistols for my daughter. I'm looking for small frame revolvers like the Uberti Stallion in .38/.357 with a 4-3/4" barrel. I haven't been shopping for new cowboy guns in a number of years so I really don't know what other brands are out there out there. What would be some other brands and models that you would recommend?

About the only other small frame is the Ruger Single Six. Ruger quit making the single six with fixed sights a few years ago. Although they did run off a batch for Davidson's a couple of weeks ago. They sold out fairly fast but are floating around. To see what they look like there is a pair of the latest Ruger .32 production models over in the classifieds.

Taylors have a Station series that is built on the smaller frame. It's available in 38 Special and a couple of other calibers. Although the frame, cylinder and other parts are scaled down, I think the grips are the same size as the larger Uberti six guns. It's also available in birdshead grip that may help.

The Stallion, Model P Jr., Lightning and others are all the same. They are all made by Uberti and have different grip frames and barrel lengths from different importers BUT they are all the same gun. Different configurations have been offered at different times. Look at Cimarron, Taylors and EMF and see what they are currently offering.

Does the Stallion in .38 come with a 4-3/4" barrel? The web page says no.

The Stallion is the same as the Cimarron P Jr, or with birdhead grips Cimarron Lighting, and they.........wait, wait :huh: I see Larson just beat me to it. :wacko:

The Stallion, Model P Jr., Lightning and others are all the same. They are all made by Uberti and have different grip frames and barrel lengths from different importers BUT they are all the same gun. Different configurations have been offered at different times. Look at Cimarron, Taylors and EMF and see what they are currently offering.

IMHO she will shoot better with the 51/2", Heather had a pair of Lightings and loved them, they did need a trip to Cody for some action work to smooth them out. The only problem is they have no cylinder pin bushing which makes them a no go for Black Powder :( . Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

The only problem is they have no cylinder pin bushing which makes them a no go for Black Powder :( . Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

How does that make them a no go for BP? Most Rugers don't have removable cylinder bushings but lots of people shoot BP in them. Freedom Arms don't have removable bushings and several people I know shoot BP in them.

Taylors have a Station series that is built on the smaller frame. It's available in 38 Special and a couple of other calibers. Although the frame, cylinder and other parts are scaled down, I think the grips are the same size as the larger Uberti six guns. It's also available in birdshead grip that may help.

Grips and grip frames are scaled down as well.

My better half shoots a pair in 38 special and loves them.

How does that make them a no go for BP? Most Rugers don't have removable cylinder bushings but lots of people shoot BP in them. Freedom Arms don't have removable bushings and several people I know shoot BP in them.

The cylinder "bushing" on the Model P Junior is very thin. I.e., it does not stick out very far from the face of the cylinder. They generally suck for BP. What some people have done is set the barrel back one turn and then machine the face of the cylinder so it winds up looking like a Ruger. Then they work fine.

Haven't tried real BP but I did shoot the wife's loaded with APP. If you wipe them down every couple of stages along with a shot of Ballistol on the front of the cylinder they work just fine. I use Mobil 1 grease on the base pins and Ballistol for everything else.

One thing on the Wife's at least; the cylinder chambers are pretty tight. Occasionally I have had an issue with a round that will not fully seat in the chambers on her pistols but the same round will easily chamber in my Rugers.

Haven't tried real BP but I did shoot the wife's loaded with APP. If you wipe them down every couple of stages along with a shot of Ballistol on the front of the cylinder they work just fine. I use Mobil 1 grease on the base pins and Ballistol for everything else.

One thing on the Wife's at least; the cylinder chambers are pretty tight. Occasionally I have had an issue with a round that will not fully seat in the chambers on her pistols but the same round will easily chamber in my Rugers.

My personal standard for BP/APP/777 is that if a gun won't shoot a minimum of 6 stages with no work they don't work well with BP. Other people's mileage may vary.

Another option is to shoot standard sized pistols with slim grips like gunfighter styles. Altamont sells these, as well as others.

The benefits would be better gun availability, keeping guns as your daughter grows and just growing the grips with her, and more weight to tame recoil.

Either option has benefits and compromises.

Your local club shooters likely have various pistols to try before you buy.

Archived