SASS Wire Forum

National Anthem, who has done it best?

I don't think it's gender specific.

Ever see a translation of La Marseillaise? The Star Spangled Banner is pretty mild in comparison "......Let impure blood water our furrows!"

And Edith Piaf sang arguably the most famous version. ;)

It's all a matter of opinion. I've just always thought martial music is better suited to male voices. My favorite version of La Marseillaise is from the scene in Casablanca where they drown out the Nutzees.

It's all a matter of opinion. I've just always thought martial music is better suited to male voices. My favorite version of La Marseillaise is from the scene in Casablanca where they drown out the Nutzees.

And a few ladies were singing in that scene. ;)

Howdy,

Im pretty sure it would be between Jimi Hendrix and her.....

Depends on what mood Im in, probably.

I do enjoy singers forgetting the words and pushing on regardless.

Best

CR

I'm with you on Jimi Hendrix

I agree that it should be played as straight as possible and in a key that people can sing along, A-flat preferably.

Being a trumpet player who has played the anthem at many events, I remember Arturo Sandoval's version at the 2009 Orange Bowl. It is one of the best instrumental versions that I have ever heard.

Never been a fan of taking a song about kicking an invading army's rear and setting to to a beautiful woman's voice. It needs some definition, so here's my favorite version.

https://youtu.be/ibZUGUtpges

There's something just not right about singing the Stars Spangled Banner with a Russian accent :unsure:

There's something just not right about singing the Stars Spangled Banner with a Russian accent :unsure:

That is not a Russian accent. I know Russian accents. It's not perfect English, but there are not many of us who speak perfect English either. In fact, what is perfect English?

That is not a Russian accent. I know Russian accents. It's not perfect English, but there are not many of us who speak perfect English either. In fact, what is perfect English?

That answer depends on exactly what part of what English speaking country you're standing in.

Is it just not right. ...... Or is the the most right thing ever? ;)

Singers with accents are funny. They seldom read the words of a song without an accent but they can sing the song nearly perfectly. Alexandra, who visited me this summer is a professional singer in Sweden (mostly English songs). He passports are Swedish (went to University there and has a son there), Russian and Ukrainian. She is from Crimea and teaches/tutors English and Swedish in Moscow. Her languages are Russian, Ukrainian, Swedish and English. (father British). Most of her singing is very good English but her speech has obvious flaws.

We were doing Christmas Carols and I noticed one mistake. "Figgy pudding" (We Wish You a Merry Christmas) she said the u in pudding like the u in udder. Wow. I mentioned this to her later and she said she didn't know how she picked up the wrong pronunciation. I only pointed it out because I know she is working on getting it all right.

I watch a bunch of BBC tv shows and on one a Londoner had to get a translator so he could interrogate a Geordie from NE England up Newcastle way. Long time ago I had an English girlfriend in Germany that always said I didn't speak English. For such a small place England has a very wide diversity of accents, all perfect English.

Archived