SASS Wire Forum

Pay Attention, Whats in Your Safe.

My Daughter manages a fund raiser each year for her college Rodeo team. And each year I donate something for the raffle and also buy something. 2 years ago during the raffle she called me and said, 'Danny, local rancher and supporter of the team, is raffling a rifle'. What is it I ask?. It is a lever gun of some kind, and it looks new. He says he has never shot it.

So I tell her to bid on it up to $600. I'm thinking it's Winchester 30-30.

Anyway she brings it home for $600 and I have her put it in the safe. Now last week she said she had fired a 30-06 and liked it. I asked if she wanted to shoot Danny's rifle. He had since passed on. Sure she says.

I go to the safe and dig it out of the back. What is this thing? It's a lever gun but not like anything I've seen before. I look at the barrel and its a Uberti 44WCF. I go online and it's Uberti's repro. of the 1883 Burgess. Brand new, never been shot.

So now I have a Burgess in 44-40 that matches all of my other rifles, which are 44-40.

Pay attention Ike

Your daughter is on a college rodeo team?

That is the most awesome thing I have heard in a while. I am truly envious. Does she also participate in mounted cowboy shooting as well?

I was a shot putter/discus thrower for a couple years in college. Not near as fun as rodeo, I postulate. Really, that sounds too cool.

Nice story on the rifle too.

Once we left California and moved to Reno, Nevada we found out that the schools here offer something besides baseball, football, basketball etc. She was on the High School Rodeo team. We traveled up and down the state for 4 years going to all of the HS rodeo's, 18 each year. Then when she went to college they had a rodeo team also. Apparently colleges all over the US still have rodeo teams.

I've been working on her for mounted shooting.

Ike

Once we left California and moved to Reno, Nevada we found out that the schools here offer something besides baseball, football, basketball etc. She was on the High School Rodeo team. We traveled up and down the state for 4 years going to all of the HS rodeo's, 18 each year. Then when she went to college they had a rodeo team also. Apparently colleges all over the US still have rodeo teams.

I've been working on her for mounted shooting.

Ike

Well, dang it, Ike, you are going to need more guns.... :D

...Maybe I need to pay attention to what my daughter brings home. Guns are OK. We don't need more horse and dogs.

Ike

Especially if it's a male and walks upright!

Archived