SASS Wire Forum

Off Topic - You helped me with a scope.

Marlin Buckhorn,SASS 51727

A couple of weeks ago I asked for recommendations for a scope for a Ruger 10/22 and I got great suggestions. Settled on a Tasco(My budget is not great) 2.5x10x42 with an Adjustable Objective. Gives me lots of light and the AO solves the parallax problems.

Now I need suggestions on mount & rings. I know the 10/22 comes with a mount and works great with Weaver rings. I am looking for something better/accurate I guess. Not looking for anything with a see through base as this will be strictly a paper punching & tin can rifle

Marlin, while there are plenty of more attractive setups than the Weaver, I do not know that any are better or more accurate. I am sure Leupold or Burris make a mount that fits the 10/22 that may be better looking but properly installed Weavers will stay in place and work extremely well.

Either you didn't like my scope choice. :) Or everybody agrees with Boggus Deal. :D Never knew the Wire to be so like minded on any one position. Surely there are other good suggestions on mounts and rings for the 10/22.

Thanks for your input BD, if I decide you have the best answer it will save me some cash because I already have the mount & several sets of rings to choose from.

Weavers will support all that a stock 10/22 will do, quite nicely, and be appropriate and strong enough for that scope.

If you start pouring more money into that .22, then you might think about spending more on the scope and mounts. I never spend close to half as much on the mounts as I do on the glass.

Good luck, GJ

Marlin,

I agree with the Weaver or Weaver style base.

I use a Leopold 'Weaver style' base on my 10-22's because it gives me a little more height in using the preferred rings that I already had in relations to the type scope I wanted to mount.

Other than the height, the factory will be all you probably need. But because you are using a 42mm objective (plus probably scope covers), be sure you use atleast 'medium' height scope rings.

Its just a guess of mine but I think if you use 'low' rings, your AO will either be pressing or rubbing against the barrel, which you do not want.

..........Widder

On my 10-22 I used a Silver Redfield Revenge 3x9-42, Leupold Rings & Power Custom Weaver Base all Silver as it is a stainless rifle.

I have used Leupold, Weaver & Tasco Rings and Bases. All of those have served me well. You'd probably be better off using what you have and instead put a Wolff spring kit in it for your accuracy improvements,

On my 10-22 I used a Silver Redfield Revenge 3x9-42, Leupold Rings & Power Custom Weaver Base all Silver as it is a stainless rifle.

I have used Leupold, Weaver & Tasco Rings and Bases. All of those have served me well. You'd probably be better off using what you have and instead put a Wolff spring kit in it for your accuracy improvements,

Uh Oh. I got to go with Tree on this one.

For my Ruger 10-22 takedown, I had a spare Redfield big bore scope in excellent condition. Used Weaver quick disconnect mounts, with the levers They repeat exactly when reinstalled after rifle broke down and put in Ruger bag and quickly reassembled.

A lot of choices now! I believe if I but a very good base & rings I can always upgrade the scope later. Buck D. Law, I do love the DNZ, have one on my 223 bolt gun. Now I have to dig through my parts, Amazon & heaven forbid ebay.

Thanks everybody for their help

Archived