SASS Wire Forum

Cleaning New Brass?

Lead Friend, SASS #53635

I've got a thousand new Starline cases fresh out of the box. Does the collective wisdom suggest that I clean them first or just head straight to the reloader?

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

No need to clean it. It might have a slight bit of drawing oil on it, but most of what I have bought in the last three years does not. It will be slightly oversize in most calibers.

Lubing the brass as if it were fired and straight from your cleaning process is what most of us do. A shot of Hornady One Shot lube for me.

BTW - this matches with Starline's own recommendations!

Good luck, GJ

Never found it necessary to clean the new brass from any manufacturer, but still a good idea to briefly inspect things. Once found some flash holes so far off center they were partially into the side of the primer pocket. +1 on the advice to resize the cases as though they previously fired.

I've got a thousand new Starline cases fresh out of the box. Does the collective wisdom suggest that I clean them first or just head straight to the reloader?

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

I ordered several thousand of each caliber I shoot from starline brass and they came wrapped in large plastic bags twist tied off at the top.....I didnt polish mine at first, but what I did was put them on my digital scale and weigh'em single to get a weight on that particular caliber. Then I multiply times 100 (example: 9mm shell case is 3.7 grams, so 100 is 370 grams)...Then I would take my 100 shells and put them in food saver bags and vacuum seal them in bags of 100 (loose, dont suck them tight!)...Then label them as to caliber, headstamp, date, and put them in a bin with all the other brass that you did as well. Now when you wanna reload whatever caliber, you go to the bin and pull out a hundred pack of what you want already to go into the loading trays (I load 200 count every time so its two bags for me) but my point is its all sealed, marked, counted, and ready to go for quick reloading (Its how I do it and Im not gonna change anytime soon!) JUST MAKES SENCE

I keep bins for each reload so I have 5 total, each time I shoot I shoot that batch wether its virgin run or 3rd time fired., then clean, polish, deprime/resize, and clean the pocket out... I then weigh them up as I stated above and vacuum seal them again, only mark them 1st time fired or 4th time and throw them in that bin (easy way of keeping track over long periods of time) Heck I have yrs of brass built up!

No need to polish new brass. However, after it is fired once it will go through the press easier. Smaller caliber stuff seems to take more effort than bigger stuff.

no need to clean.

one shot is your friend with new brass.

like Colt, I keep batches of brass seperated as best as possible so I can keep track of when they start to fail. when that happens, that batch is relegated to practice and watched closely then a new batch is rotated in for monthly's and the like.

Starline brass lasts a very long time.

Archived