SASS Wire Forum

nonpolitical question about the executive orders

Trigger Mike

the new order says that the definition of dealers that must obtain a background check is expanded and that it is also addressing internet sales. i thought all internet sales were required to go thru a dealer already on the receiving end and that the receiving dealer ran the background check. If I sell a weapon over the internet but ship it to a dealer that run the background check or to a C & R who already had an extensive background check, where does a buyer slip thru the cracks as they say?

Here it is. The POTUS changed absolutely NOTHING in current gun LAWS. What was issued, amount to "directives" and have no basis in

law and are not enforceable by BATFE. So long as you are in compliance with current LAW, your gold.

There's a site called Texasguntrader that I've used a few times. Never done any BG check because we both live in Texas. All of my purchases were technically face to face since we met and traded cash for guns. But, I've been told people in different cities in Texas use it and ship everything without using an FFL. I don't know the specifics on what the law says in those cases, but I *think* (until someone smarter comes along and corrects me), in those cases you only need to use an FFL for pistols. So maybe that's what they're talking about. But most likely it's all posturing.

An FFL, unless and until the law is changed, is used when a transfer (change of ownership) happens over state lines. That's the only legal way it can work, because FFLs were dreamed up under the "Feds oversee interstate commerce" part of the Constitution.

So if YOU, a Texas resident, wish to sell a gun - any gun - to SOMEONE ELSE, also a Texas resident, no FFL is required. And it don't matter if you live right next door, or you're by the Oklahoma state line and he's at the Mexican border. Both Texas residents - no FFL required. Rifle, shotgun, pistol, submachine gun.

There are some states (California, maybe New York, probably others) that require EVERY transfer - interstate or intrastate - go through an FFL. Texas ain't one of them

There's a site called Texasguntrader that I've used a few times. Never done any BG check because we both live in Texas. All of my purchases were technically face to face since we met and traded cash for guns. But, I've been told people in different cities in Texas use it and ship everything without using an FFL. I don't know the specifics on what the law says in those cases, but I *think* (until someone smarter comes along and corrects me), in those cases you only need to use an FFL for pistols. So maybe that's what they're talking about. But most likely it's all posturing.

An internet sale across state lines without going through an FFL would be illegal. To make it seem anybody can legally just click on the shopping cart at assault-guns-r-us.com and have an ar shipped to their door is just administration lies.

Archived