SASS Wire Forum

NRA declines to participate in Obama gun town hall

Allegiance

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/06/politics/nra-obama-gun-town-hall/index.html?sr=twCNN010616nra-obama-gun-town-hall0723PMVODtopLink&linkId=20144347 NRA declines to participate in Obama gun town hall

By Mark Preston, CNN

Updated 2:03 PM ET, Wed January 6, 2016

Washington (CNN)The nation's largest gun rights organization declined Wednesday to send official representatives to a nationally televised town hall with President Barack Obama on gun violence -- just days after the president reignited a discussion over this controversial topic.

"The National Rifle Association sees no reason to participate in a public relations spectacle organized by the White House," NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam told CNN, which is moderating the live town hall Thursday evening in Virginia.

The NRA, the most influential gun rights group in terms of political persuasion and financial contributions, boasts a membership of about five million people.

A CNN spokesperson said that it was the network, not the White House, that proposed the idea of a town hall on guns, and noted the audience would be evenly divided between organizations that support the Second Amendment including NRA members as well as groups that back gun regulation.

Obama on Tuesday presented a renewed push for further gun regulations, including background checks for firearms purchases through the use of executive action. While pro-gun regulation activists heralded Obama's renewed interest in the issue, his actions have been called into question about whether they would truly help stem gun violence.

On the overall issue of gun control, 48% of Americans support stricter laws, while 51% were opposed, according a CNN/ORC poll released last month.

The NRA and Obama have been bitter enemies on the issue of new gun regulations -- each accusing the other of engaging in politics instead of working to find solutions to end gun violence.

Some of the groups invited to attend the town hall, which will feature direct audience questioning of the president, include Gun Owners of America, American Firearms Retailers Association, Everytown for Gun Safety and the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, among others.

** As a Life Member of GOA, I wish the very best to Larry with the event. Maybe our President would consider attending a "town hall event" at the upcoming NRA Annual Meetings in Louisville, KY? There he could engage our membership in "direct audience questioning" to really hear what law abiding citizens of our great country and organization have to say!!

Take Action and Get Involved!

https://www.nraila.org/take-action/

A huge mistake, in my opinion. Now we will hear "The NRA refused to sit down and discuss things with us." suggesting that the NRA is part of the problem. A few well educated, well spoken people - preferably women of minority groups (gotta play the politics of it) - to beat the gun grabbers about the head and shoulders when they spout their lies and platitudes.

I do like the idea of inviting Obama to something organized by the NRA and other pro-civil rights groups. Then, when he declines to participate, we have the what with which to say "Obama doesn't want to listen to the American People."

The President and others from his party have been painting the NRA as the bad guys for years. I understand why the NRA doesn't want to join the Obama Town Hall. I don't care that CNN says that the participants will represent both sides of the issue, I guarantee it will be a pro gun control event. It is not like Obama will listen to anyone from the NRA or change his mind. We need to fight the good fight elsewhere and support the Second Amendment.

Watching the Town Hall and feel that the NRA should have had representation there. Regardless of being in the "wolf's den" or being painted a slanted view by the current administration. We as members pay good money for their representation. As a life member I feel I was let down by the NRA by not showing up. So far there have been good questions and explanation of the background check measures enacted although my personal opinion is they will not reduce gun violence. One quote that should be addressed was the internet sales being conducted mainly by felons. FFL transactions still apply to legally transferred guns. Someone needs to counter his points and prove this will not prevent felons from getting guns. Bottom Line.

Watching the Town Hall and feel that the NRA should have had representation there. Regardless of being in the "wolf's den" or being painted a slanted view by the current administration. We as members pay good money for their representation. As a life member I feel I was let down by the NRA by not showing up. So far there have been good questions and explanation of the background check measures enacted although my personal opinion is they will not reduce gun violence. One quote that should be addressed was the internet sales being conducted mainly by felons. FFL transactions still apply to legally transferred guns. Someone needs to counter his points and prove this will not prevent felons from getting guns. Bottom Line.

Exactly my point. Several people did seem to smack him down, though.

Howdy,

It might have been interesting if the NRA could send a woman of small stature.

Someone as far as possible from the LOOK they were expecting.

But it all does smack of trap.

When will you stop shooting children type questions.....

Best

CR

Howdy,

It might have been interesting if the NRA could send a woman of small stature.

Someone as far as possible from the LOOK they were expecting.

See my post in the 'Gun Violence' thread below. I gave reference to two women who spoke there.

But it all does smack of trap.

When will you stop shooting children type questions.....

Best

CR

Archived