SASS Wire Forum

Bore cleaners

Attica Jack  #23953

Try a little JB Bore Paste on a bronze brush, then your favorite liquid.

I have made a batch and used it to clean out the carbon from shooting 38's in 357 chambers. I like it and it is a lot less expensive than many store cleaners.

One important thing to note is that you have to store it in a metal container with a well fitting lid. If you don't the acetone and turpentine will evaporate out and it looses its effectiveness. I used the cans that the Acetone and Turpentine came in along with a couple of empty paint thinner cans I had available.

I used to use Hoppe's 9 but experimented with Ed's Red. I prefer Ed's Red as I find the ammonia smell from Hoppe's 9 a bit over powering cleaning in an enclosed garage. The acetone in mine has probably evaporated off so would be safer around my wood stocks.

I find it cleans the carbon/lead much better then Hoppe's. Plus it's a lot cheaper then Hoppe's.

Made many batches over the years and use it a lot. I store it in mason jars as the seal on them is impervious to the acetone and the glass lets you see how much you have. I regularly agitate small parts in a small glass jar using Ed's Red since it's so cheap to make. It usually ends up with my used parts cleaner solvent.

Wish there was a bore cleaner that actually removes lead. Many advertise they do but I have never found one that works for squat. I'm not talking about a bore jammed with lead that needs a Lewis Lead Remover, but normal lead fouling.

I use Ed's Red in 50 cal ammo cans to soak the pistols for a few days. Then swab the bores and chambers and blow off excess oil and trash with compressed air. Works great with stainless. Don't forget the blued guns as overtime it will lift the marginal blued areas.

I like remmington bore cleaner or jb bore paste with kroil. Both work great. Both are common, and easy to get. Wrap patch over worn out brush, apply the bore cleaner, and a few stokes with good tension, and you're done. Rinse with kroil, and a dry patch. Atf works great if you don't see kroil on the shelf. Removes carbon, lead, and copper everytime.

I mix Ed's Red but omit the acetone, which can damage the finish on wood stocks. According to what I have read elsewhere, the acetone is in there to remove the plastic wad residue left in shotguns. I find that it cleans as well as H#9, and don't miss the acetone.

Archived