SASS Wire Forum

Happy New Year! Open Carry In Texas Starts Today!

Brazos John

I haven't carried openly yet, but I plan to, just to do it on the first day.

I don't plan to make it a habit, so save all of the advice against it. I agree with you.

But, I just have to do it,

At least once.

Has anyone else openly carried yet in Texas? Where did you go?

Did you receive any feedback from folks or shop keepers?

I was quite surprised to hear on the news that Texas is the 46th state to allow open-carry.

Especially since everybody's got a gun or two in their truck.

I'm glad the lawmakers are catching up with the people.

At least once.

We've had open carry in Ohio for over 100 years! Occasionally someone will cause a stir somewhere but for the most part there's really no problems. Good luck!

I'll probably only open carry at places like Kroger or Walmart where their attitudes are more enlightened(go with state law). I'm sure it's going to feel funny. Don't know about how some of our favorite eatin' establishments are going to go on the issue.

Whole Foods and the Galleria say no to open carry? Who cares? We don't go to either of them.

I'm not looking for confrontations with idiots, but we need to stand up to the jerks who feel "uneasy", or whatever, at the mere SIGHT of a gun. WE aren't the criminals, and they need to get that through their heads!

WOW! 21 hours since this law went into affect and there have been no mass shootings by CHL holders, or NRA members, in Texas. Must be very disappointing to all the Democrats and Liberals that predicted shootouts in the streets.

I read that you have to have a concealed carry license to open carry in Texas! Here in Ohio you don't need a darn thing to open carry but you do need a license to conceal carry. Sounds like Ohio is a friendlier gun state than the great state of Texas! Who'd a thunk it? :P

I read that you have to have a concealed carry license to open carry in Texas! Here in Ohio you don't need a darn thing to open carry but you do need a license to conceal carry. Sounds like Ohio is a friendlier gun state than the great state of Texas! Who'd a thunk it? :P

Rye, It's not that Ohio is more gun friendly, that's completely untrue. They just want the people carrying to have been vetted, to be sure those that do carry, are the kind of people that SHOULD be allowed to carry. Not everybody fits in that category, even though they may own a gun. Texas CHL laws are far more strict than some of the states, and the applicants have been thoroughly vetted and found to be law abiding citizens. WE WANT these kind of people to carry, as they are a big deterrent to criminal activity.

Personally, I don't particularly like OPEN carry, as it negates the deterrent factor. If a perp knows you are carrying, it is easier for him to position himself to where he can disarm you, and possibly use the gun against you. If he doesn't know you are carrying, he is more likely to ignore you, and that gives you a better chance at addressing any situation that might occur.

However, I am glad that Texas has made open carry legal, for those that are qualified, and feel the need. For some people that find it hard or uncomfortable to carry concealed, it gives them another way to carry in a legal manner.

RBK

Glad to see that another State is "giving" back the citizens Constitutional Right. We have had the "right" here since 1863, so no big deal for us. Hopefully gun owners and carriers there will act responsibly and legally and not give the politicos a reason to take away your right again....... Carry on, Texas..Like%202.jpg

Rye, It's not that Ohio is more gun friendly, that's completely untrue. They just want the people carrying to have been vetted, to be sure those that do carry, are the kind of people that SHOULD be allowed to carry. Not everybody fits in that category, even though they may own a gun. Texas CHL laws are far more strict than some of the states, and the applicants have been thoroughly vetted and found to be law abiding citizens. WE WANT these kind of people to carry, as they are a big deterrent to criminal activity.

Personally, I don't particularly like OPEN carry, as it negates the deterrent factor. If a perp knows you are carrying, it is easier for him to position himself to where he can disarm you, and possibly use the gun against you. If he doesn't know you are carrying, he is more likely to ignore you, and that gives you a better chance at addressing any situation that might occur.

However, I am glad that Texas has made open carry legal, for those that are qualified, and feel the need. For some people that find it hard or uncomfortable to carry concealed, it gives them another way to carry in a legal manner.

RBK

I disagree that Ohio is NOT more "gun friendly" because it is! All you have to do is legally own a gun to open carry! You need no permission from any politician like in Texas. I'm not burn in' on Texas I'm just stating facts! ;)

That said, Congratulations!

Here in Arizona, I can carry open or concealed with out a permit license. Usually carry open, because I can. I know all the risks, etc. Still it is my right, so be it.

We are the most Gun friendly State in the Republic.

Here in Arizona, I can carry open or concealed with out a permit license. Usually carry open, because I can. I know all the risks, etc. Still it is my right, so be it.

We are the most Gun friendly State in the Republic.

Yes you are!!! I love Arizona! ;)

I just know how it'll look carryin' two sixguns, one strong side, one x-draw into the supermarket... and unlike my old duty belt, my cowboy rig might make for sittin' in the p/u a mite more uncomfortable... :ph34r:

Open carry, although arguably Constitutional and legal, makes open carriers a target more for scaredy-fraidy liberal anti-gun hand wringing swatting types than criminals imho, and was really a non issue in Kansas when really pro gun laws finally went mainstream, to much consternation of said scaredy-fraidy liberal anti-gun hand wringing swatting types.

I really don't see people doing it, maybe a total of 5 in a couple of years.

And no, open carry did not magically turn modern society into the shootemup Wild Wild West.

I am from Texas and could open carry but I never will.I take that back,I do open carry on the lease.I don't want the bad guys to know I am carrying.

Just remember, open carry can have an effect on the criminal intent side of events. Such as ...you open carry at a gas station and go inside to grab some burrito's, tacos and a beer, some dude(s) sittin in a car outside, thinkin about holdin up the place....Well... that visual of you with a sidearm can stop their intent to rob the place. There are too many other scenarios that same intent could be stopped, by open carry. Yes , they may go somewhere else or just wait til you leave....

Heck in a weird kinda way, you may just stop a person from becoming a criminal, just by open carry at a particular time and place...and that can even be in your own yard or property.

Just remember, open carry can have an effect on the criminal intent side of events. Such as ...you open carry at a gas station and go inside to grab some burrito's, tacos and a beer, some dude(s) sittin in a car outside, thinkin about holdin up the place....Well... that visual of you with a sidearm can stop their intent to rob the place. There are too many other scenarios that same intent could be stopped, by open carry. Yes , they may go somewhere else or just wait til you leave....

Heck in a weird kinda way, you may just stop a person from becoming a criminal, just by open carry at a particular time and place...and that can even be in your own yard or property.

Interesting theory, never thought of that! Good point Dee!! ;)

RBK

RBK, I would disagree that open carry negates the deterrent effect. A person that is intent on committing an offense may be deterred by people that are open carrying. Concealing the pistol makes you reactionary once the offense occurs. There is zero deterrence by conceal carry. That being said, I have open carried for 22 years in Texas, but yhen again it was as a LEO! I would be hypocritical to say a person should not carry in a manner consistent with laws that also affords them the opportunity to defend themselves.

Big Iron Patnode

The deterrent factor of concealed carry is that the bad guys never know for sure who is carrying, which will hopefully make them more reluctant to victimize random citizens. They see a store with 20 people in it, they don't know if there's 0 guns in there or 20. But open carry doesn't remove that unknown factor. All it does is allow the bad guys to occasionally raise that lower number up. I'm pretty sure both are deterrents in their own right. But then again, I don't really know how criminal minds work, so I could be wrong about that. At any rate, the most important thing about this law is that now I won't get in trouble if I accidentally flash my concealed weapon. I just wish it didn't have the stupid belt/shoulder holster restrictions. Leaves it ambiguous for people who pocket carry or use a belly band, and offers no extra protection for folks who use ankle holsters.

I haven't seen or done any open carry. I doubt that I personally will open carry. Ifn I do, it will likely be with my Walker Colt. Never know when one might run into a surly bartender that needs whackin!!!!!

Glad to see that another State is "giving" back the citizens Constitutional Right. We have had the "right" here since 1863, so no big deal for us. Hopefully gun owners and carriers there will act responsibly and legally and not give the politicos a reason to take away your right again....... Carry on, Texas..Like%202.jpg

And Mink Shoals Bandit lives in West Virginia.

Our state was formed in 1863.

For two or three days , the local area news had a clip that they showed during every newscast about the new Open Carry coming into effect. Camera shots of several different pistols , and one that almost had me rolling on the floor. A shot of a revolver in a holster , on someone's waist , and it was an 1851 Navy Colt. I'm thinking now , how many Open Carry participants are going with percussion guns instead of autoloaders or cartridge revolvers. The stupidity of the news media folks never ceases to amaze me.

I live in a small town , pop. about 3500 , and here 5 days in I haven't seen anyone packing open yet.

Rex :D

I just know how it'll look carryin' two sixguns, one strong side, one x-draw into the supermarket... and unlike my old duty belt, my cowboy rig might make for sittin' in the p/u a mite more uncomfortable... :ph34r:

No cuffs, baton, extra ammo, radio, etc etc. Piece o' cake. ;)

For two or three days , the local area news had a clip that they showed during every newscast about the new Open Carry coming into effect. Camera shots of several different pistols , and one that almost had me rolling on the floor. A shot of a revolver in a holster , on someone's waist , and it was an 1851 Navy Colt. I'm thinking now , how many Open Carry participants are going with percussion guns instead of autoloaders or cartridge revolvers. The stupidity of the news media folks never ceases to amaze me.

I live in a small town , pop. about 3500 , and here 5 days in I haven't seen anyone packing open yet.

Rex :D

Actually there is probably some dude somewhere who will carry a Navy or a single shot CVA mountain pistol. Nothing surprises me.:D

But I expect the media furor will die down when blood does not run like rivers.

When they passed shall issue ccw laws in Florida the libs went nuts. The handwringing and the screams insisting that every traffic accident confrontation would result in an OK Corral styoe shootout with dozens of bodies sprawled along the highway was on every news station.

Didn't happen. Life went on. Imagine that.

I'm thinking now , how many Open Carry participants are going with percussion guns instead of autoloaders or cartridge revolvers. The stupidity of the news media folks never ceases to amaze me.

If (and that's a big if) I were to open carry, there's a 90% chance I'd carry one of my single actions just for the style points. If I had a working percussion pistol, I'd probably carry that and keep the automatic concealed.

For some reason, I just reminded myself of the first time I heard the song "Big Iron". I remember how I thought for sure the 'big iron on his hip' was going to be a decoy and he was going to shoot the outlaw with a belly gun hidden under his coat or something. Maybe if I open carried a percussion revolver, that would be my plan.

Oh and to be fair, they probably had that footage of the 1851 from the open carry rallies because percussion revolvers were always legal to carry openly.

There is a group of 2nd amendment supporters that have been open carrying their C&B revolvers for several years here in Texas. Suspect that is where the photo came from.

The ones I know are not nuts, but rather work diligently to educate the public about firearms in a very non-confrontational way.

I haven't seen or done any open carry. I doubt that I personally will open carry. Ifn I do, it will likely be with my Walker Colt. Never know when one might run into a surly bartender that needs whackin!!!!!

Nice Lonesome Dove reference. A great scene from said movie!

Over the weekend on Fox News there was an article about open carry in Texas. There was a close up of a pearl handled six gun in a leather western style holster being worn by an individual. All you could see was the wearer's waist line and the gun rig. Something was still amiss about the picture until I realized the carrier was also wearing a kilt! Odd combination, I thought. The kilt will get more looks than the gun!

I am from Texas and could open carry but I never will. I take that back, I do open carry on the lease. I don't want the bad guys to know I am carrying.

Mine won't be in the open either. Don't want to be target No. 1.

Nice Lonesome Dove reference. A great scene from said movie!

Over the weekend on Fox News there was an article about open carry in Texas. There was a close up of a pearl handled six gun in a leather western style holster being worn by an individual. All you could see was the wearer's waist line and the gun rig. Something was still amiss about the picture until I realized the carrier was also wearing a kilt! Odd combination, I thought. The kilt will get more looks than the gun!

Kilt now that is really open carry if done traditional!

WHAT !!! you ain't all dead ???

The blood bath, the reckless shootings, on every corner and at every traffic stop,,, like da Democrats said would happen ...

Bet they are ticked off big time ...

Jabez Cowboy

If (and that's a big if) I were to open carry, there's a 90% chance I'd carry one of my single actions just for the style points. If I had a working percussion pistol, I'd probably carry that and keep the automatic concealed.

For some reason, I just reminded myself of the first time I heard the song "Big Iron". I remember how I thought for sure the 'big iron on his hip' was going to be a decoy and he was going to shoot the outlaw with a belly gun hidden under his coat or something. Maybe if I open carried a percussion revolver, that would be my plan.

Oh and to be fair, they probably had that footage of the 1851 from the open carry rallies because percussion revolvers were always legal to carry openly.

I have a few defensive firearms. I practice frequently with them (not CAS type practice). I carry them to save my life if necessary. If I were to open carry, it would be one of them. Style points are meaningless in real life.

Back up guns are nice, but if you intend on using one instead of your primary weapon the extra second or two you need to employ it can get you killed. Packing a "decoy gun" makes absolutely no sense tactically.

Archived