SASS Wire Forum

Obama's Coming Executive Actions on Gun Control

Colonel Dan, SASS #24025

He's been planning this for awhile and is now ready to spring it on America. What can you do? Fully support the NRA and other organized gun organizations in their efforts to fight this coming tyranny. The final year of the Obama administration will test us all!

Steel your nerve; remain resolute and soldier on...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/01/01/obama-to-impose-new-gun-control-curbs-next-week/

" instructing federal law enforcement to identify and arrest criminals who attempt to buy illegal guns."

Why does the POTUS feel he needs to "instruct" Federal LEO to enforce the present laws. Isn't that already part of their job description?

" instructing federal law enforcement to identify and arrest criminals who attempt to buy illegal guns."

Why does the POTUS feel he needs to "instruct" Federal LEO to enforce the present laws. Isn't that already part of their job description?

According to the NRA the Feds have been lax on prosecuting those who unlawfully attempt to purchase firearms. This could be a positive step. The Justice Department has had too little emphasis in this area.

He's been planning this for awhile and is now ready to spring it on America. What can you do? Fully support the NRA and other organized gun organizations in their efforts to fight this coming tyranny. The final year of the Obama administration will test us all!

Steel your nerve; remain resolute and soldier on...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/01/01/obama-to-impose-new-gun-control-curbs-next-week/

And PLEASE write to your elected representatives at the Federal and State levels. Email and permanent addresses are easily found at congress.gov

A friend of mine is a FFL holder. He doesn't like competing against high volume types who sell dozens of guns "occasionally" every gun show. Anybody in the business of selling guns needs to be licensed. Most are. What some are doing is illegal right now. I don't see how enforcing the law is a threat.

I think he's blowing hot air and making everyone think he's gonna do something when nothing will change. :wacko: Not to worry pards!

The Tenth Amendment and NULLIFICATION!!!! :-)

Don't know what he will do. What he could do is require all sales to go through a background check through an FFL. He might add a restriction against anyone on a domestic violence restriction list from buying a gun, and limit detachable magazines to 15 rounds capacity. If that is "all", the rest of you will have to live with it...just as we do in Colorado due to laws passed by our state legislature! The domestic violence issue, I can agree with. The rest...well that's what happens when the libs control the state legislature! :angry: Not sure where the BATF will get the staff or money to process all the sales...which may be what O is hoping for! :excl:

A friend of mine is a FFL holder. He doesn't like competing against high volume types who sell dozens of guns "occasionally" every gun show. Anybody in the business of selling guns needs to be licensed. Most are. What some are doing is illegal right now. I don't see how enforcing the law is a threat.

FROM THE ARTICLE:

The current federal statute dictates that those who are “engaged in the business” of dealing firearms need to obtain a federal license — and, therefore, conduct background checks — but exempts anyone "who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms."

Folks, that's us. I don't need a FFL to own a collection of cowboy guns.

A number of years back I asked the ATF for an application for an FFL. They refused to send me the APPLICATION because I told them I only planned on making a few sales and didn't expect to make much money at it. I finally got the application from a friend at ATF, but decided it wasn't worth the aggravation and expense. (Clinton had just raised the cost of an FFL to $300)

As Bart said, some FFL's don't like competing against us little guys. I have nothing against the LGS making money, but I'm not in favor of monopolies. If I want to buy a gun from a pard I shouldn't have to cut a dealer in for an extra $50 just to make the gov't happy.

BTW, almost all my gun deals have been swaps. I just don't have the cash to buy new guns anymore.

Angus

Don't know what he will do. What he could do is require all sales to go through a background check through an FFL. He might add a restriction against anyone on a domestic violence restriction list from buying a gun, and limit detachable magazines to 15 rounds capacity.

If that is "all", the rest of you will have to live with it...just as we do in Colorado due to laws passed by our state legislature!

NO...we will NOT "have to live with it". <_<

The domestic violence issue, I can agree with.

That's already Federal law since 1996...i.e. Lautenberg Amendment to GCA 1968.

The rest...well that's what happens when the libs control the state legislature! :angry: Not sure where the BATF will get the staff or money to process all the sales...which may be what O is hoping for! :excl:

Kind of scary times we are living in. Everyone needs to be in contact with their congressmen and senators, demanding that they stand up to Obama and fully support the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Tracker, I think somebody needs to reintroduce some basic education to the people in Washington DC as to what exactly and why exists the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Dantankerous - the people you refer to KNOW EXACTLY what the 2nd Amendment and the Constitution are all about. That is why they are trying so desperately to destroy, diminish, damage, deny and generally trample them into the ground. They believe that until THEY have all the means to wield all power their political aims can not succeed. Their aims? To control the American people in thought, deed and action. Out future may very well be a totalitarian state. Please all of us need to vote and make sure to get out like minded people to vote this next year.

Trailrider: I would love to be limited to only 15 rounds, as we can only get 10 round mags now. ALL firearms transfers must go through an FFL, no such thing as "trades" in California. So reject ANY new laws or you will all be just like us.

Rye, do you really want to bet the ranch on that?

I seriously think anything he does will be followed by a slew of lawsuits challenging him. The NRA/ILA and all the other pro- gun groups will be on this like flies on crap! No I wouldn't bet the ranch on it, never said I would but I'm just thinking positive and depending on our constitution to hold back this maniac!

My 84 year old neighbor loves to go to gun shows, since his wife prefers he not drive that far anymore I take him. At each show I see the same "non-dealers" with huge displays of guns including handguns that they are claiming to be selling from their personal collection. Most only ask to see a drivers license for handgun sales to prove the buyer lives in the state. These guys are every bit dealing in firearms and don't give a crap who they sell guns to. I've yet to see anyone who wasn't a licensed dealer do any kind of background check.

Careful, Henry. I once suggested on here that it might be nice to be able to find out if the guy you're about to sell a gun to is a paroled murderer. The boys tore me a new one.

That I understand. The problem is if we don't come up with rules we can live with we are damn sure to have the left write those we can't.

About thirty years ago it was common to see ATF agents handing out FFL applications. Back then me and a lot of my buddies were "dealers" and gun shows were almost a social event. Fast forward a couple of decades and Bill Clinton ran us back out of the "business". About a hundred thousand dealers went bye-bye. Those hobbyists who didn't make all that but it was enough to make the operation self-sufficient went back to doing what was legal all along...without contributing records to the ATF. (shocking, horrors, untraceable firearms)

It is perfectly legal to sell/buy guns to/from your collection. As a hobby. Look up the definition of "business". Do that, you need an FFL. It's a fine line but its there.

Funny, I don't see ANY lack of ability to get a firearm in the common criminals I see daily at work.

Brady background checks became the norm about 20 years ago. I know that this law does work; LGS operated by a good friend has people all the time who get rejected. Even had a guy not too long ago who did it to himself. While waiting for the check he mentioned he'd been charged with domestic violence recently. Presto, no gun. He got a little bit out of line and a customer who also carries a badge invited him to leave before the hole he was digging for himself got too deep to climb out of. Would someone like this go to a gun show/yard sale to make a purchase? I suppose he could.

A co-worker was delayed recently when he went to buy a gun. He's a police officer with an NCIC record to prove it and the FBI, who administers BOTH NICS checks and NCIC delayed him. I can't tell you how many gun shows I've been to where "NICS is down" and nobody buys a gun...imagine that. Imagine your RIGHT delayed or denied by a faceless bureaucrat somewhere....

Remember all the brouha about assault weapons years back? Care to guess the incidence of those kinds of weapons that police seize? Less than 1%. Guess what it is now? About the same. I seldom encounter them and when I do its in the hands of a good citizen. The last gun I took off a criminal was a Beretta 32 tomcat. The ones before that included a fifty year old break open H&R sawed off 20gauge and NONE of them were assault guns. Imagine that.

California currently has these laws they propose to saddle the rest of us with and it didn't stop a couple of terrorists now did it? They're currently yak-yak-yakking about a new AWB but NOTHING about the explosive devices they found. Nothing. They had IED's my friends and not one word about that. Gee, I wonder why, maybe because making bombs is illegal already?

Committing murder, assault, drunk driving and such is already illegal (like making bombs) and it doesn't really stop people from doing that now does it? Drugs are illegal too and it doesn't stop them from bringing them across the border by the truck load. They could do the same with guns...or people. And do. I work days in a major metro area a couple hundred miles from the Mexican border. Our west side guys find smugglers EVERY DAY. We even found a lookout post on a mountain above the department range!

I suppose expanding NICS checks to every transaction might tighten things up but think on this: they tell you they do not maintain records (registration) but that is a LIE. They can and do record every transaction. Let's suppose someone notices a person who bought twenty guns in say, a year. They get curious and start checking on you by going to the gun shop(s) asking questions about you, coming to your house, workplace and ALL without any crime being committed, they "investigate" you? Yes, that happens.

Lets suppose they do this universal check thing. Every transaction. Somewhere down the line they institute a gun ban. Don't you know, they're going to be at your house looking for twenty guns because you certainly didn't sell them (since you didn't have any of those sale transactions on record now, did you?).

This is a double-edged sword and it is gun registration wether they call it that or not....."your honor, the defendant has sixty five recorded NICS checks in the last two years and when we went to his house to see them and verify none were assault weapons he refused us access. Please note the photos in exhibit A, the NRA sticker on the defendant's truck, the ammunition box in the back seat of his truck...." There's not a judge on the planet who would take more than thirty seconds to issue a search warrant.

It doesn't make us any safer but it feels good because "we're doing something". However it can and WILL be used by our government against us. Whenever they like. Already has. New York anyone? In California AB 1014, Gun Violence Restraining Order allows for law enforcement and immediate family members to ask a judge to issue the order to seize all firearms (I assume other weapons too) and ammunition within 24 hours. There is a right of due process, an appeals process where the person accused would have his day in court to defend himself and so on. But they can get this order without any EVIDENCE at all. All it takes is a comment and for someone to "feel threatened". He said/she said basically and POOF you lose your guns.

People in New Orleans who had their guns illegally seized, it took them YEARS to get them back.

Sorry if I sound skeptical...because I am.

I have spent my entire adult life in law enforcement. I have seen first hand things some people would not believe; the horror people do to each other. The stupidity of the average citizen that quickly gets them into serious trouble...and worse. I have seen first hand guilty men go free (murder) because the State improperly investigated the case. I have seen innocent people go to prison. Some spent years proving their innocence. Ruben Carter. Ray Krone. Among others.

By and large our system of justice is run by good, decent and hard working men and women. It is not perfect and mistakes can happen. That is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about an over-zealous cop/prosecutor/judge/politican who is going to use the law for thewir own ends. It can and does happen. I pray none of you find yourself on the wrong side of a judge's bench. It's not a happy thing. Yes I speak from personal/professional experience. There is more at stake here than you know.

My 84 year old neighbor loves to go to gun shows, since his wife prefers he not drive that far anymore I take him. At each show I see the same "non-dealers" with huge displays of guns including handguns that they are claiming to be selling from their personal collection. Most only ask to see a drivers license for handgun sales to prove the buyer lives in the state. These guys are every bit dealing in firearms and don't give a crap who they sell guns to. I've yet to see anyone who wasn't a licensed dealer do any kind of background check.

I hope that was not in PA, as handguns must be transfered by a FFL, to include PA instant check, a 4473, and the PA record of sale form.

I hope that was not in PA, as handguns must be transfered by a FFL, to include PA instant check, a 4473, and the PA record of sale form.

[/quote

Ohio

I think the days of private FTF sales are coming to an end. Can it be done by executive order? I just don't know.

Are there persons really "in business" that should get a FFL and therefore have the "official blessing" you bet. I also predict a HUGE influx of new FFL applications being submitted.

I think the days of private FTF sales are coming to an end. Can it be done by executive order? I just don't know.

Are there persons really "in business" that should get a FFL and therefore have the "official blessing" you bet. I also predict a HUGE influx of new FFL applications being submitted.

It's been a few years since I retired so I went back and waded through Title 18 particularly Chapter 61. I find nothing requiring sales of firearms by a private person to go through an FFL

I predict an end to FTF private sales of long guns, with no instant check and transfer paperwork.

Face to face sales will become "under the table" just like many other forms of transaction for goods or services rendered that never show up on tax forms!!

The big selling point being overlooked in all of this is the revenue that Odumbass will promise to all of those who might vote or legislate to prevent his circumvention of the Constitution, but who are weak-kneed enough to be swayed by money or other consideration!!

Sadly, all of this will make criminals out of a lot of good citizens and do NOTHING to improve or prevent ANYTHING!!!

It's been a few years since I retired so I went back and waded through Title 18 particularly Chapter 61. I find nothing requiring sales of firearms by a private person to go through an FFL

Check PA Title 18 SS 6111 c. Duty of other persons. Then look at e. & f. for certain exceptions regarding what types of firearms need to be transferred.

Besides FFL's County Sheriff's in PA can do transfers.

Check PA Title 18 SS 6111 c. Duty of other persons. Then look at e. & f. for certain exceptions regarding what types of firearms need to be transferred.

Besides FFL's County Sheriff's in PA can do transfers.

Thank You I always go through an FFL any way. There is no way in hell that I would ever sell a gun to anyone with the exception of my son without it coming out o my name. And not wanting to be charged with RSP I only buy guns through an FFL

Archived