SASS Wire Forum

Troubles with resizing die

Lankyframe #44046

Happy New Year

I'm hoping to get a little help with my reloading. I'm using Lee carbide pistol dies. It's getting increasingly difficult to get a 38 case OUT of the resizing die. They go in just fine and I have no problems with the other dies, it's just getting them out of the resizing one. This didn't happen over night. I've cleaned it with Hoppes, run a bronze brush thru it and even wrapped some 600 grit sandpaper around a dowel and run that around inside (just a little bit) in case there was a build up of brass. None of this has helped. I've had these dies for years.

Any thought? Thanks

Lanky

No case lube. Never used it before and don't use it on any other pistol rounds and don't have a problem with them

Try some anyway and report back.

Does your sizer have a primer punch in it? If so, just perhaps it is adjusted to far down and that is what is sticking the case.,,, way down where the web of the base meets the sidewall,,,, just a thought

Has it always done this from being brand new?

You might try some One Shot and see if it fixes the problem.

Two issues.

Try lubing cases.

It might help but will be needed every time you size your brass.

You do not sand carbide dies.

This puts microscopic grooves in the carbide and now the case walls have something to hang on to due to the case walls being pressed in to the carbide sides during resizing.

Your best option is to buy another sizing die and toss the damaged one, if you do not want to use case lube all the time.

--------------------------

One more thought.

It's winter and it's colder.

The die material will shrink due to colder temperatures.

This will make the die just a bit smaller/tighter.

Can you raise the temperature in your reloading area?

60 or above.

It's a Lee turret press with auto index. Just took it apart, cleaned the ram and auto index clamp. Put it back together and it works slicker than snot on a brass doorknob .And I just did that about 2 weeks ago. I can't explain it. Thanks for your suggestions.

Lanky

It's a Lee turret press with auto index. Just took it apart, cleaned the ram and auto index clamp. Put it back together and it works slicker than snot on a brass doorknob .And I just did that about 2 weeks ago. I can't explain it. Thanks for your suggestions.

Lanky

Wow, that's about the most confusing time line in a troubleshooting scenario that I've seen in a long time.

Maybe step-by-step next time on the explanation of a problem, rather than two "I just did that" steps, one mentioned like it happened today and one like it happened 2 weeks ago?

Good luck, GJ

Rub a case with lanolin. Run it up and down several time in the FL sizing die

Run multiple non lubed cases through the die.If a sticky one happens again - do one lanolin lubed case

Also check the shell holder to insure the case fits tightly

Archived