SASS Wire Forum

'66 '73 Full length firing pin modification

The Polish Pistolero

The new part looks interesting, but this cowboy is going to take a wait and see how this works out for those pioneers who install this modification. (we all know what pioneers are). The other question this brings up in my mind is How Much Does This Cost????

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snakebite

The first rifle that was fitted with the new firing pin was mounted in a vice and with a empty case with a live primer in the chamber the lever was slammed, hit with a bat, made to go closed as fast as possible for hours. Not once was the primer ignited or even dented.

But we understand peoples worries and most of the pins now run with out the spring letting the pin free float. Next batch will not even have a spring.

RCD

So you're saying I have the old out-moded model and have to do another article? Let's hear a round of harumphs. :P

Thank you RCD,

I assume you also send a new firing pin extension drilled for the new single piece firing pin. So, the new kit will be sent with the modified bolt, single piece firing pin, firing pin extension, and new main spring.

Interesting development, I understand the reasoning behind the system. I'll have to ask Larsen how he likes it.

TB

Thank you RCD,

I assume you also send a new firing pin extension drilled for the new single piece firing pin. So, the new kit will be sent with the modified bolt, single piece firing pin, firing pin extension, and new main spring.

Interesting development, I understand the reasoning behind the system. I'll have to ask Larsen how he likes it.

TB

I don't have my Chronicle yet. I'll have to read about it when I get it. Actually, I put it in and it is staying in there. Nuff said.

So you're saying I have the old out-moded model and have to do another article? Let's hear a round of harumphs. :P

I love it!

The pictures on the Gun Shop Facebook show the back of the hammer notched and the face milled out to about the circumference of the bolt. Is this necessary?

No that isn't necessary for the one piece firing pin . Me and my grandpa Snake Oil George are machinists and we are always tinkering with parts so that's what you see in that photo

What exactly is the purpose of the notch on the hammer (which appears in the photos to be an EXTERNAL modification)??

The notch on that particular rifle is from the heat treated firing pin wearing on a soft uberti hammer which the set up has been in for quite some time over two years while we shot probably 50 thousand cycles or more through the gun no machine work has been done to the face of the hammer

The notch on that particular rifle is from the heat treated firing pin wearing on a soft uberti hammer which the set up has been in for quite some time over two years while we shot probably 50 thousand cycles or more through the gun no machine work has been done to the face of the hammer

How did the face of the hammer hitting a firing pin cut a notch in the BACK of the hammer?

Just curious.

hammer%20notch-S.jpg

How did the face of the hammer hitting a firing pin cut a notch in the BACK of the hammer?

Just curious.

hammer%20notch-S.jpg

+1. The front of my hammer is getting a little worn from hitting the hardened firing pin but certainly not the back.

Since this thread has gotten so much air time and I am happy to hear that folks are actually READING the new paper Chronicle. I'll toss out a couple of teasers for the next edition. I am working on an article about a new drop in hammer and mainspring kit. That hammer in that kit is hardened quality steel and should be a good mate to the topic of this thread (or for any other competion grade 73). Also will have some words about a new 73 trigger (or possibly two). That's all you get. Salivate until April. ;)

+1. The front of my hammer is getting a little worn from hitting the hardened firing pin but certainly not the back.

Since this thread has gotten so much air time and I am happy to hear that folks are actually READING the new paper Chronicle. I'll toss out a couple of teasers for the next edition. I am working on an article about a new drop in hammer and mainspring kit. That hammer in that kit is hardened quality steel and should be a good mate to the topic of this thread (or for any other competion grade 73). Also will have some words about a new 73 trigger (or possibly two). That's all you get. Salivate until April. ;)

How did this answer PaleWolf's Question? Just a picture of the new hammer? Why for the notch on the BACK of the hammer?

RCD,

Thanks for the reply.

If I remember correctly the lightest pull I've ever seen before on a short stroked gun that would reliably fire,

was 2 lbs 8 oz

So 2 lbs 1.7oz avg. is an impressively light lever pull !!!!

On the springs... I found some locally!

Thanks Pard, Sam

Do you have a lighten main spring to go with the one piece firing pin for the Miroku 73

Yes, we have a super light main spring (for Uberti) we custom made just for this kit. You can find it on my website @ www.slickmagicguns.com

Just curious.

hammer%20notch-S.jpg

The notch circled has nothing to do with the one piece firing pin. I think that notch was done to allow the hammer to travel back far enough to remove the bolt extension without removing the butt sock and dropping the hammer assembly.

The notch circled has nothing to do with the one piece firing pin. I think that notch was done to allow the hammer to travel back far enough to remove the bolt extension without removing the butt stock and dropping the hammer assembly.

That is my understanding from an off-line conversation with CCK.

It is on their shop "test rifle"...not one used in actual competition.

Thanks for that additional clarification.

How did this answer PaleWolf's Question? Just a picture of the new hammer? Why for the notch on the BACK of the hammer?

Why you asking me. I asked the same question as Pale Wolf.

i picked up my new one piece firing pin at j and j gun smithing last sat , R C D went over the instal with me, installed it that night , very easy instal , works very well, like levering a whole new rifle ,, money well spent for me

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.facebook.com/The-Gun-Shop-806778342705192/ Ok here is a link to some more pictures that I just uploaded to our facebook page !! I will have a video this Wednesday on the install and other questions about the modification !!

Posted on you FB page! Any news on the video or the website! Its been a while now! I'm still interested!

As I get older and grumpier I HATE answering what IF questions. And before anyone gets upset I am not "flameing" the OP. Simply addressing the issue. As my dear departed mother use to say "IF a frog had wings it wouldn't have such a sore butt." The OP's concern applies to every firearm accessory made for SASS type guns. Every single short stroke kit (rifle or pistol), Marlin one piece firing pin, rifle coil spring kit, etc., etc., etc., are subject to the big IF. Not to mention custom work. What are you going to do if a custom smith short stroked your pistol using the cut and weld method and dies or goes out of business? What about the popular mechanical triggers for SKBs? Each one of those is custom made and fitted. What about parts for discontinued firearms? Ever try to find parts for a Ruger Old Army? What IF an asteroid hits your house? This kit is about as bullet proof as anything I have ever installed. IF someone is that concerned about parts that MIGHT break, the only solution is not to shoot.

yep +1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I read the entire article while in the "library" this morning. It was very, very well-written. It was explained that the spring is on the reverse side because it holds the firing pin all the way forward on the primer side. When the bolt is closed, the pin is actually snug against the firing pin. When the hammer strikes, there is no slack - the primer gets the full power of the hammer-strike. I had to wonder if sometimes maybe the round wouldn't be fired when the round is chambered, but according to the article, that's not a problem. Also, apparently one of the benefits, as Slick pointed out, a much lighter mainspring can be used.

Also, as things wear in the 73 (receiver, bolt), especially on the smaller calibers like the 38, the bolt can develop some slack, which results in the firing pin being able to not go in straight, & possibly causing it to bind, certainly with more friction either way. According to the article, the bolt has a lot more support while travelling to the round, causing a straighter, smoother, lesser friction path, resulting in a much smoother action.

It sounded pretty darn good! Read the article.

Oh, & I tried my darndest to find a website for J & J Gunsmithing and could not. But, the article does list a phone number & an email address.

If I weren't shooting a fairly new Spencer Davis (Marshall Wolfe of Wolfe's Customer Guns) rifle, I would probably try this mod. But, I'm not ready to screw around with this new incredibly smooth rifle. It ain't broke, so I don't want to try to fix it.

That is my understanding from an off-line conversation with CCK.

It is on their shop "test rifle"...not one used in actual competition.

Thanks for that additional clarification.

Now I'm curious about something, would such a modification be illegal in competition?

Now I'm curious about something, would such a modification be illegal in competition?

It appears to be an unlisted external modification.

That would make it ILLEGAL.

REF: SHB p.3

• 5 months later...

It appears to be an unlisted external modification.

That would make it ILLEGAL.

REF: SHB p.3

So, since this hasn't gained any traction since February! Has any final determination on legality of this modification been made? Nobody has been discussing them, and the website is defunct, or has it changed? I understand you say its illegal by appearance! What is final say by the Wild Bunch Committee? Just looking for clarification, as I'm still interested!

TPP, PaleWolf is talking about the notch in the back of the hammer being illegal, not the one piece firing pin.

TPP, PaleWolf is talking about the notch in the back of the hammer being illegal, not the one piece firing pin.

CS, I think you are correct, and that is my assumption. I know there were numerous 73s at EOT running the "one-piece firing pin" per subject of OP and LEP's article. I have three and really like them, especially the lighter main spring that comes with mod (along with roll pin installation/removal tool). Theses guys offer lots of super modification for "tricking out" our cowboy toys. Sassy's new 73 barrel was shortened and lightened by Snake Oil with such expertise. Great folks with lots of gun gadgets.

The comment regarding "illegal modification" was in reference to the notch on the back of the hammer (visible with the firearm "at rest/action closed")

That was explained as being on the shop "test rifle" to facilitate changing out the firing pin/bolt assembly during the test period.

Answers quoted out of context to the most recent question asked have a tendency to cause confusion.

All of the items under discussion on this thread were taken under consideration by the Range Operations Committee (ROC).

The one-piece firing pin is a LEGAL internal modification.

Welding an insert of hardened steel to the FACE of the hammer (not visible with the hammer fully down) is also considered a LEGAL internal modification.

You can PM the Creek County Kid here.

Or on Facebook look for Brad Stockstill aka CCK

They are still in business the one piece firing pin is awesome.

Sorry guys would have been on here a whole lot sooner but have been currently moving houses and shops as well.

The new website is up and running it is not fully done yet just due to the fact I have not had access to a computer during the move but the link is www.thegunshop918.com

If you have any more question my cell number is on the website or you can pm me on the wire anytime

Archived