SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 73 uping their game

El Mulo Vaquero, SASS #55942

In this last shipment of rifles, serial # over W65000, I believe Uberti is trying to up their game on their springs. Particularly their lever/lifter springs. While the coil spring for the lever safety has been used for a little while now, the lever/lifter springs are a hugh improvement for an out of the box rifle, they fit nicely in the receiver, aren't massive truck leaf springs. Nicely made. The main spring also has been changed. While still not on par with competition springs......Uberti is trying! and Add that to the replaceable lower tab on the bolt!

73%20springs.jpg

Only took em 30 years to pay attention :ph34r::)

Coffinmaker

Probably because they were the only game in town. Now that Winchester is back in the game, well who knows what to expect.

Howdy

How does the mainspring look on the inside?

I have always been very displeased with the tooling marks left on the inside of the curve. Actually had one snap in half at one of those tooling marks, which act as terrific stress risers. I have always been amazed that more Uberti hammer springs don't snap in half. Have they polished away the tool marks? That was always my biggest concern with stock Uberti springs.

ubertihammersprings_zpsd486a17e.jpg

ubertihammerspringscloseup_zps2d44e8f1.j

Driftwood, the main spring was as nicely manufactured as the lever/lifter springs. No grind marks at all/blued finish. Wider at the rear then narrowing.

While it has taken awhile for Uberti to step it up, at least they have. Hoping they keep it up!

El Mulo

I wish uberti would cut one more key slot in the bolt way of the 38 cal 66 receiver. Then they could reinforce the bolt tab with an under lug. Just like they use to before retooling. No more broken tabs.

Mr. Johnson, as I suspect you are aware, Uberti main springs vary from time to time in both their finish and dimensions. It is likely that Uberti does not make their own springs and "batches" of springs vary considerably..

The industrial strength, flat, Uberti lever safety spring has always been a problem best replaced with a coil spring. Uberti has replaced the industrial strength, flat lever safety spring with and industrial strength coil spring and it still best to replace it with one of the after market coil springs.

And, the assertion that Uberti listens to their customers is surprising indeed. However, they appear to have fired Bongo and replaced him with his little cousin, Bongito. :) But, Bongo still occaisionally shows up at the factory to do a gun or two. ;)

Mr. Johnson, as I suspect you are aware, Uberti main springs vary from time to time in both their finish and dimensions. It is likely that Uberti does not make their own springs and "batches" of springs vary considerably..

The industrial strength, flat, Uberti lever safety spring has always been a problem best replaced with a coil spring. Uberti has replaced the industrial strength, flat lever safety spring with and industrial strength coil spring and it still best to replace it with one of the after market coil springs.

And, the assertion that Uberti listens to their customers is surprising indeed. However, they appear to have fired Bongo and replaced him with his little cousin, Bongito. :) But, Bongo still occaisionally shows up at the factory to do a gun or two. ;)

This post was intended to be positive and informational. The OP did mention that the newer springs still aren't on par with replacement competition springs. But irregardless they are much better than the "old" springs made by Uberti.

This post was intended to be positive and informational. The OP did mention that the newer springs still aren't on par with replacement competition springs. But irregardless they are much better than the "old" springs made by Uberti.

... Uberti parts often vary from one batch of guns to the next and it is not possible to predict what the next batch will be like -- e.g. the current batch (about serial number W59-60,000 and above) are all about .008" short on head space and must be re-machined to add the .008" head space.

And I would not extoll their greatness based on their new replaceable breech bolt lower cartridge support tab. They have/had a problem with the tab bending and breaking. This started in earnest around serial number W39,000 or so. Rather than solve the problem, they made the tab replaceable when it bends or breaks (probably in the middle of a big match :( ). They also made it thinner and narrower and with a blunt end;. :wacko: This is merely their latest of about 3-4 efforts to address the problem --- we'll see how it works out. ;)

As you, I hope Uberti makes improvements to their guns -- :) we share that desire :)

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, January 1, 2016 - Reply to offensive post
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, January 1, 2016 - Reply to offensive post

Geeze Luise,

Fella, if you take offence at someone not quite buying into "Uberti has made a big turn-around", then sit back and have a nice cocktail and skip the kool-aid. :) Uberti parts often vary from one batch of guns to the next and it is not possible to predict what the next batch will be like -- e.g. the current batch (about serial number W59-60,000 and above) are all about .008" short on head space and must be re-machined to add the .008" head space.

And I would not extoll their greatness based on their new replaceable breech bolt lower cartridge support tab. They have/had a problem with the tab bending and breaking. This started in earnest around serial number W39,000 or so. Rather than solve the problem, they made the tab replaceable when it bends or breaks (probably in the middle of a big match :( ). They also made it thinner and narrower and with a blunt end;. :wacko: This is merely their latest of about 3-4 efforts to address the problem --- we'll see how it works out. ;)

As you, I hope Uberti makes improvements to their guns -- :) we share that desire :)

Geeze Luise,

Fella, This was only informational! I did not say Uberti was perfection either. I am WELL aware of Uberti's quality's and shortcomings. Perhaps you could extoll your "knowledge" in this manner in your own thread,and have a cocktail. Happy New Year

I am glad to see El Mulo Pointing out the improvements that Uberti is making on their firearms.New shooters will probably be able to purchase one & shoot it out of the box with less problems until they can get them completely tuned..El mulo has been doing the Uberti's for alot of years,& seen all the changes & improvements.He has done about everyones in this area.He has also done a lot of top shooters firearms.

As far as the coil spring setup go's from what I've read is a lot of exspence for little improvement..

Largo

Archived