SASS Wire Forum

Prescription shooting glasses

diablo slim

Howdy diablo, yer best bet is your local eye doc. Have dominant eye done for front sight and other eye for normal script. Add a set of B-52 side shields if needed, depends on frame choice. I decided to use the same wire flex frames I normally wear, I even had small bifocal put in the off lens for reading stages and loading. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

If you are comfortable buying glasses over the internet, you can try zennioptical.com. I have bought my glasses from them for a couple of years now and never regretted it. If you just need single vision you should be able to get a good pair of specs for less than $50.

I use my OSHA glasses from when I was a superintendent. Got them from Walmart for around $150-ish (?) They come with side shields.

I wear lined bifocals. My shooting glasses have single near vision in my dominant eye and single distance vision in my lesser eye. Both are adjusted for set distances: 36" and 50 feet. My sights and targets are now in much better focus though I lose a bit of depth perception.

Hey Diablo, these folks are really helpful and have great shooting glasses.

They usually go to all larger shoots, I met them at T-Bones.

Mike LaVallee...L & M Lenses... 802-343-0828

Hope you get fixed up my friend.

...crosscut

Where is the best place on interweb for prescription shooting glasses...thanks for your opinions guys...

I ordered a pair a few years back from www.greateyeglasses.com - they were crap. Ordered a second pair from www.safevision.net, they are excellent, still using them today but...you can get exactly the same glasses from WalMart's optical shop for about half the price (I know from experience, I got Kay Sadeeya a pair last year).

I wear lined bifocals. My shooting glasses have single near vision in my dominant eye and single distance vision in my lesser eye. Both are adjusted for set distances: 36" and 50 feet. My sights and targets are now in much better focus though I lose a bit of depth perception.

If you know the + factor you need, you can also use stick-on bifocals. I wear trifocals but my safety glasses are single vision for distance, so I couldn't read crap. Either my arms are too short or the text is too small! I ordered a set of +2 stick-on bifocals ($14 on amazon.com & qualify for prime), but only put one in the left lens - works PERFECTLY. The bifocal doesn't interfere when I shoot (right eye dominant) & the bifocal is just right for reading stage instructions or the scoresheet.

The stick-ons would also work in non-prescription safety glasses, if you need reading glasses for close work.

Holler

My glasses are set up for great vision at arms length to as far as a guy can see, but blurry closer in. No way I can read with them on. The sg chambers are blurry as I load with it shouldered, but quickly learned to do it. My scores took a real jump, and picking the center of the next target in a hurry became easy. They are in a heavy nike frame, poly carbonate, and have plenty of view, even from the sides and top. Love them for shooting. They have a light gray tint. Hope you find exactly what you want!

Walmart carries a line of safety glasses called DVX which are made by Wiley X and are Rx-able. They look similar to Wiley X, but are much less expensive. Locally they are $48 plus the Rx. They do not have to be tinted. I used to have my shooting glasses set up with mono vision (dominant eye for front sight distance), but now have aged and become far sighted enough that I can see my sights with the regular prescription. These glasses do not require side shields.

If you want to use mono vision, it's not overly difficult to determine how much magnification needs to be added to your dominant eye. You can try on reader glasses and see if you can see your fingernail on your index finger when your arm is fully extended. If you want to be even more specific you can pick up an item in the store that is about the same length as your pistol and focus on the end of it. The magnification for front sight distance is likely to be different (typically less) that it is for glasses used at reading distances.

If you are considering bifocals (I don't recommend), the extra magnification goes in the top of the lens instead of the bottom. This is because your head is down on the stock when you are shooting. A right eye dominant shooter will actually be looking through the upper left of the lens . . . which is important for the person making the glasses to know since they typically make the sweet spot for the lens directly in the center of the eye when looking forward.

I just made an appointment with my eye doc as a follow-up that he suggested during my last exam.

He said come back and bring my guns and my bow and he could set me up with multi-focal contacts. They are supposed to be made for shooters and golfers. They are weighted somehow so that they stay oriented properly in your eyeball.

I can still see excellent far out, but in the last couple of years I have become functionally illiterate without glasses. Until recently I just shot without glasses. That has now crept out to where my sights are blurry.

I am a left eye dominate shooter who shoots right handed. Had my right eye Px set for my rifle and pistol sights. Had the top half of my left eye frosted and the bottom of my left eye set for reading. Good luck

Hey Diablo, these folks are really helpful and have great shooting glasses.

They usually go to all larger shoots, I met them at T-Bones.

Mike LaVallee...L & M Lenses... 802-343-0828

Hope you get fixed up my friend.

...crosscut

L&M Lenses did a pair of Wiley X for me with the bifocal cut in the upper quarter of the lens and focus set on the front sight of the revolver. Lens material was claimed to be better than polycarbonate. The frame/lens are very curved and protect against sideward impacts.

Have experienced several lead splatter hits on the lens with no damage.

Highly recommend L&M Lens.

Shootin' the Soot!!!

Amarillo Rattler

Out of curiosity, what sort of special glasses would you get for shooting with a scope? I remember a long time ago my dad was having trouble using a scope, and I saw him trying to move his head way back, so I suggested he wear his reading glasses, and it worked like a champ. With all this talk, I wonder what the actual correct focal distance would be for that situation.

I was delighted to find that my local Optometrist handles both WileyX & Oakleys. He told me his son is a Navy Seal & that all of his seal buddies wear the Wiley X because they stand up to lots more impact than the Oakleys. You can get extra lenses to interchange, but I bought a set of clear & a set of polarized, both in the frames so I don't have to swap lenses back & forth.

I love them both, & it made a heck of a difference shooting at targets instead of the middle of blurry things.

Best part is that by getting them thru my Doctor, the insurance helped carry the load.

Archived