SASS Wire Forum

Reloading 380

Renegade Roper

We want to reload .380 for practice for concealed carry. Anyone got some loads you could pm me w/what powder you use, bullets and bullet source? For CAS & WB powder we have American Select, Win 231, Tite Group and 700x. Thanks.

We want to reload .380 for practice for concealed carry. Anyone got some loads you could pm me w/what powder you use, bullets and bullet source? For CAS & WB powder we have American Select, Win 231, Tite Group and 700x. Thanks.

I would recommend the Win 231 powder. Shop for a jacketed/plated bullet in the 100grain +/- range.. Berry Bullets out of Utah sells a plated roundnose 100grainer that works well for practice.. Accuracy is not great for most 380 pistols so just use the recommended load (the upper end) from a reliable reloading manual for that powder. If you are not happy with the Win 231, then another brand from your inventory, you have a good selection on hand.

here is loading data from powder manufacture. You will have to navigate through this site a bit to get to the cartridge you want. A great source of information.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Good luck

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, December 25, 2015 - Load data
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, December 25, 2015 - Load data

I use 2.3gr of 700x behind a 102gr lrn bullet. Has worked great in an LCP and a little Taurus. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Howdy:

I use Titegroup (see Hodgdon site for load) and X-treme 90 gr copper coated bullets - work for me and overall is not too expensive.

We aren't allowed to give exact load info, but Hodgdon site is easy to follow to get loads for the specific powder.

STL Suomi

Blastmaster-check bullet diameter, if .357 doesn't work, try .358. I did that, Meister bullets sent me a sample of 10 to try. Every powder co has listings, go to Hodgdon reloading data, pops right up,same with all companies. I used titegroup at first for everything and switched to VV 320. Good luck, Lee

Renegade, I have considered doing the same but have a concern. Most carry .380s, like my Bodyguard, have polymer frames and are not heavily constructed like our cowboy guns. Shooting these guns excessively may incur wear that would make the guns less reliable. Heavier .380s, like a Colt Mustang, Browning BDA or Beretta 85, would be more tolerant of excessive shooting than my Bodyguard, Ruger LCP or a Keltec.

Blastmaster-check bullet diameter, if .357 doesn't work, try .358. I did that, Meister bullets sent me a sample of 10 to try. Every powder co has listings, go to Hodgdon reloading data, pops right up,same with all companies. I used titegroup at first for everything and switched to VV 320. Good luck, Lee

I believe you are replying to the wrong person. I know what works.

You may want to recheck your recommended bullet diameter. It is higher than what all reloading books state. There is a reason why bullet manufact list a specific 380bullet vs a 9mm or 38cal..... the diameter.

Regards.

Most 380s that I have loaded for use a .355 bullet, not a .357 or .358..... that would really increase the pressure in most 380s.

Snakebite

What Snakebite said. 380s are a 9mm bullet, sometime referred to as a 9mm short, not at .357 or .358. A 380 is a very small round and subsequently a PITA to reload. Check your reloading manuals for proper data and remember to BE SAFE.

Hey RR,

I've been reloading and shooting my Glock 42 and Colt Mustang the last few weeks. I've got some solid info coming your way.

Mere Christmas.

Ringer

Renegade, I have considered doing the same but have a concern. Most carry .380s, like my Bodyguard, have polymer frames and are not heavily constructed like our cowboy guns. Shooting these guns excessively may incur wear that would make the guns less reliable. Heavier .380s, like a Colt Mustang, Browning BDA or Beretta 85, would be more tolerant of excessive shooting than my Bodyguard, Ruger LCP or a Keltec.

I like both my steel and plastic 380 Auto guns.

I can't even imagine wearing out my Glock? It sure is nice for CC.

Regards,

Ringer

Thanks guys for all the replies, gives me a place to start.

Boon Doggle loading moly coated 32's are a PIA because they are so slickery and small!

Tom I looked at the larger 9mm for cc but women have a harder time carrying concealed w/o the gun printing so I more or less had to go with the smaller gun. At least until we can get the heck out of this dumbocratic state (upstate NY). I only paid $250 for my little lcp custom so if I wear it out it's just a good excuse to buy another. :) Seriously though I think if you are going to cc you should be proficient in using your firearm. The only way to be proficient in anything is to practice it so if I wear my lcp out I will just get another (and try to wear that out too). Besides if this Ruger is as tough as my single sixes I can put quite a few rounds thru it before I need to worry about wearing it out. At least that's my story and I am sticking to it. :)

Merry Christmas to you all. Roper

I loaded .380 for a lot of years, along with 9mm and .45 ACP.

All three of those semi-automatic pistol cartridges performed really well when I used Bullseye powder in my loadings.

The .380 was shot from either a Walther PP, PPk/s or PPk, and a Colt Gov't .380.

All the guns liked 85, 90 or 95 gr .355 FMJ bullets from just about any maker out there.

Since my carry loadings were typically 90 - 95 gr bullets, I favored those for reloading as well.

I tried using a .356 diameter 105 gr LSWC cast bullet one time, for about 500 rounds, but there were too many

issues with fouling and cleaning to be worth the bother. My FMJ loads are usually at around 950 f/s,

maybe a mite less.

Even a Polymer framed .380 will take tens of thousands of rounds before fatigue failures occur,

but you may have to replace springs more often, say every 2-3 K rounds. The biggest problem will be

keeping the bore clean and copper free, but that's true of any semi-automatic.

I don't reload the .380 any more, I just buy a case of ammo every year or so and shoot a box a month

through it. Same with 9mm, buy it by the case. I did enjoy the process, and had much more limited

funds those days, now I feel like I have a little more money and a lot less time!

I reload the .45 Colt and my .270, and that's about it anymore!

SC

I load cast bullets in the 90 grain round nose flavour. Sized to .356. And to make them go, I use PROMO powder (Red Dot) which works well for just about anything Pistol or Shotgun. It, along with Unique, is my go to powder. A factory crimp die (I paid a few bucks more and got the Redding die over the Lee) is almost a given with any semi-auto pistol loads.

Whatever powder you choose, and almost any of the shotgun powders will work well, a one pound container is going to yield about 2000 loads.

Archived