SASS Wire Forum

Alliant Black mz Powder

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I just got 2 cans of this BP sub for a Christmas present. That's good.

I don't know anything about it. That's bad.

Can anyone offer any information? Does this clean up like black, or smokeless powder?

The can says it can be used in black powder cartridges, but I can find no load data.

Any help would be appreciated.

I just got 2 cans of this BP sub for a Christmas present. That's good.

I don't know anything about it. That's bad.

Can anyone offer any information? Does this clean up like black, or smokeless powder?

The can says it can be used in black powder cartridges, but I can find no load data.

Any help would be appreciated.

From Alliant web site

"

Helpful hints for best results with Alliant Powder's Black MZ

• Our experience through testing and hunting has been that best results are attained in the 50 caliber muzzleloader using 90 grains volumetric of Black MZ with sabot bullet weights of 240 grains to 260 grains.
  • Make sure that the barrel is clean and totally dry (swab barrel with dry patches until there is no evidence of moisture).
  • Black MZ functions best when heavily compressed by the seated sabot.
  • If you need further help or information please contact us at 800-276-9337."

loads like APP just seems a little hotter, I use it in my shotgun mostly, have found that it needs to be cleaned right away, get a little rust if I wait a few days and I live in Arizona, using Pyrodex I can wait a few days and no rust, nothing bad cleans up very easy. Loaded it in cartridge and also used it in my cap and ball pistols with good result. for the $10 a can it is worth it

rafe

H.K.Uriah,

I have been using Black MZ for a while. It is billed as not very corrosive. On most occasions I do not clean the guns for days and sometimes weeks. I have read studies that no rust is noticed for up to 90 days. I was nervous at first so I slowly extended the time for cleaning out, still have not noticed any corrosion. Cleans up easy. I just wipe it off with my gun wipes. I do brush the barrel a pass or two. I have been using this in my revolvers. I have noticed that it seems to act on brass. I used it in my '73 and after not too long the carrier got corroded. So I do not use it around brass, carrier, sights etc.

It does seem hotter than my other subs. I feel it to be hotter than 777 but not as hot as BlackHorn 209. I have used it in my '51 navy and it worked nice with a normal load. In cartridge's I load it light, seems hot.

Bottom line for me is I like the mostly non corrosive value.

Molasses Mike

Black MZ is not much different than any of the other BP subs that are made out of Orange Juice (citrus based). All of these powders can be loaded volume/volume as a direct replacement for a Real BP load. In most cases, load to the base of the bullet, or use a very light compression. Don't compress 777 at all. I've done the official testing for ALL powders that are legal for use in SASS and did not find Black MZ to be as hot as 777. I also did the Official testing on Blackhorn 209, it is a hot powder indeed, but it is also a nitro based powder and though not classic, it is considered a Duplex, and is NOT LEGAL FOR USE IN SASS.

Rafe... where are you finding it for $10/can, that's a good price.

Snakebite

Bought some of this stuff for my wife to try..found it to be a hot load in rifle & pistol.. used it in the shotgun & was good but we will both use real BP..everybody has an opinion..mine is never again !!

Don't care what they say I reckon it's very corrosive.....

Rafe... where are you finding it for $10/can, that's a good price.

Snakebite

Sportsmans Warehouse has been selling it at that price for months.

It is billed as not very corrosive.

That's why they state ...

Make sure that the barrel is clean and totally dry (swab barrel with dry patches until there is no evidence of moisture).

From a post on Cast Boolits ...

I emailed Alliant about this, they replied to use boiling water & soap then dry and oil.

BlackMZ creates copious white ash in brass and chamber and I got rust quickly when I was cleaning with just a smokeless solvent. Much better clean up with boiling water in both cartridges and rifle bore.

There are chlorates and perchlorates in it, this is a Gas Chromatograph study of it (apparetnly BlackMZ is re-labelled American Pioneer

Yes, it is corrosive - more so than with moisture effected black powder

Archived