SASS Wire Forum

Assult Weapon-OT

Gold Canyon Kid #43974

Update, see post #63. Have narrowed it down a bit based on this thread!

As a long time gun owner with mulilple safes that used to be totally full, I am feeling somewhat naked. I do not have a so called assult weapon in my safe. I really hate that term but since the anti gun folks use it so much, I decided I needed one before you can not get one anymore. At one time I had an older Ruger Ranch Rifle i bought used and cheap, shot it a few times and gave it to one of my sons for his safe. He has shot it a few times tho. That ranch rifle recoiled more than I wanted for plinking and was not very accurate. I had some great very very accurate hunting rifles in 300 Win Mag and 7 mm Rem Mag but also gave them to my sons. Figured why wait til I die to start giving them most of my non compeitive cowboy guns.

I am considering going to the black gun world for a purchase. Looking for the best bang for the buck in a 223 caliber semi automatic rifle. I want a gun that would be reliable without too much cleaning or maintenance. Want the mainline bells and whistles. I likely will not be reloading for it but buying some of that cheap bulk ammo. I do not need a match grade rifle but one that can still hit what I am shooting at within say 100 yards. Which gun would be the one to fill the void in my gun safe and to have some fun plinking. Which type action has the least amount of cleaning needed? What kind of optic sights would be the best for such a rifle, considering I would not be using it for hunting? Remember best bang for the buck.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I to am in the market, but my needs are very specific. Looking at the DPMS A1 lite 20. Classic look, I do not care for the flat top ones.

I'll be interested in following this.

S. Floyd

This is like asking what's the best car to have or city to live in. I have a few ARs in different configurations and love them all. I don't have a piston AR but I don't shoot thousands of rounds of varying velocities a year to think that matters for me. Barrel twist effects what bullet weight you'll want to use so hunting / long range etc. can come in to your decision. Defiantly want a better trigger than standard mil grade. The really cool thing is once you get a lower you can have a few uppers for different uses. I really like an 18" heavy barrel for hunting and 3G. Good luck. MW

Oh and sorry SF. My non flat top AR never gets out of the safe. Love the look of the older mil ARs but to me they are not as fun to shoot.

I to am in the market, but my needs are very specific. Looking at the DPMS A1 lite 20. Classic look, I do not care for the flat top ones.

I'll be interested in following this.

S. Floyd

Click on the "Follow this topic" button on the upper right just above the "Reply to this topic" button.

Most wanted is right. There are as many configurations of AR's as there are people on this earth.

However, as an entry level plinking AR, the DPMS line is a good choice. You can't really go wrong with any of their rifles. I would suggest going with an M4 clone. adjustable stock, flat top upper with either quality iron sights or a GOOD red dot reticle, government profile barrel, 16" 1:7 twist, standard handguards.

Then upgrade as time and money (and will) allows if you want. money spent on a good red dot will never be wasted money. do not be fooled into buying a knock off or cheap red dot. they do not hold zero long term. Bushnell makes a good, budget red dot that works well and is very reliable. if you can't afford a red dot, get a good set of iron sighs. if you mount a scope, use a riser

You will notice I spent an entire paragraph on sights. They make or break a good rifle IMHO. Let DPMS, S&W, RRA or another company buld the first one. (I'm a fan of the S&W, btw). then stock up on lots of ammo and go have fun. Break it in right.

The universe of ARs (Armalite Rifles) is broad and deep. Based on what you wrote, the cheapest way to go is S&W or Ruger. Both make rifles ranging in cost from $600-1,800. The best bang for the buck, in my opinion, is one under $1,000. Even cheaper will do the job, if you're shooting, primarily, at or under 100 yards. As mentioned above piston ARs run cleaner and cooler than direct impingement, but generally there's a cost difference that may not be worth it if you're not sending a lot of rounds down range. I would suggest that you give Squibber a call, as he has sold a bunch over time. Maybe you can try one out to see how you like it.

I like Rock River Arms. Bought my first one, Built my second and third. Delton, DPMS, and SW are good buys. They will shoot fine.

If you really want to have some fun build a lower and buy an assembled Upper.

MidwayUSA has a great video. It's not hard at all and you learn how the rifle functions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcko0UlvQxQ

Howdy:

My son gave me a Colt about 20 yrs ago. Had a ton of fun with it. I bought two lowers, the upper and barrels, guts etc and built two MSR (AR) pistols. If you ever had an erector set, you an build an AR. Midway has a series of "How To's and I watched that a couple times and away I went. They work like champions and I put on red dot reflex sights. I was very surprised at the degree of accuracy. Buy a DPMS, play with it awhile and then go build your own exactly the way you want it to be. Honestly, if you can butter toast, you can do this. Take your time and remember - little or no force is required.

STL Suomi

Cabelas has S&W M&P ar15 on sale now for about 600 and they give you a case and a loader with it...not bad deal for the price if you just want one to have,

If you are old enough to remember the m16's of the Vietnam era you probably remember the problems they had with them jamming. It was blamed on a number of things, like wrong powder, no forward assist, no cleaning kit, but a lot of those issues were because of the Direct Gas Impingement System.

For that reason I have never been a big fan. But, many of the newer ar's now have piston type systems much like the AK's. Much more reliable and can be had from Ruger and at one time S&W offered one too.

Because I'm not a big fan of .556/.223 I went with an AR 10 from POF. It's a piston gun. That and I am a sucker for the Tu-tone look too. :)

308_POF_zps302a563f.jpg

The DPMS Oracle is pretty hard to beat. Flat top upper so it's easy to add optics, forward assist and dust cover, and they're pretty accurate from plinking.

Whatever you decide to buy, make sure that it's a 556 chamber and not just .223.

Get a Ruger AR-556. I think of all the gun makers Ruger donates the most to preserve our rights. This years goal is $4 million.

Agreed👍🏼 I have the Ruger SR556 (AR piston gun) love it!

Ringer

Was kinda in the same situation as you a couple years ago. I bought a Smith & Wesson M&P Sport. Don't shoot black guns much, so I didn't feel like investing a lot. It's actually a pretty nice rifle. My other .223 is a Ruger No. 1 heavy varmint. (a .5 MOA gun). Opposite ends of the spectrum for sure.

we were issued Rock River ARs at work shot it day and night for 5 days..nothing more than a spritz of some lube on the Bolt Carrier every other day or so

. Never a jam, never had need for the Forward Assist. (I have an early Colt without the FA and never needed it) we shot thousands of rounds to qualify and never had any issues. of course we were in dry Central Texas....and weren't being shot at or dragging the rifles through a swamp or salt water or mud or sand. I think the DI rifles are just fine for what we use them for....so are Mini 14s ...cant stand the AKs...as they were fired in the wrong direction.

As a long time gun owner with mulilple safes that used to be totally full, I am feeling somewhat naked. I do not have a so called assult weapon in my safe. I really hate that term but since the anti gun folks use it so much, I decided I needed one before you can not get one anymore. At one time I had an older Ruger Ranch Rifle i bought used and cheap, shot it a few times and gave it to one of my sons for his safe. He has shot it a few times tho. That ranch rifle recoiled more than I wanted for plinking and was not very accurate. I had some great very very accurate hunting rifles in 300 Win Mag and 7 mm Rem Mag but also gave them to my sons. Figured why wait til I die to start giving them most of my non compeitive cowboy guns.

I am considering going to the black gun world for a purchase. Looking for the best bang for the buck in a 223 caliber semi automatic rifle. I want a gun that would be reliable without too much cleaning or maintenance. Want the mainline bells and whistles. I likely will not be reloading for it but buying some of that cheap bulk ammo. I do not need a match grade rifle but one that can still hit what I am shooting at within say 100 yards. Which gun would be the one to fill the void in my gun safe and to have some fun plinking. Which type action has the least amount of cleaning needed? What kind of optic sights would be the best for such a rifle, considering I would not be using it for hunting? Remember best bang for the buck.

OK so you are going to want to know about Wilde chambers. They can handle both .223 and 5.56. There is some arguments that they are different. Also look at barrel twist. If you want to shoot long distance (Like 69 gn Matchking) you will want to pay attention to barrel twist.

Me I bought a ptr 91 and 32. The former runs 308 the later 7.62x39. Both have no pistons (roller lock blowback) both based off the h&k g3. Two pins the rifle comes right apart. Both ran right around a grand but considering new ranch rifles are getting up to 800 bucks.

I have a Sig and a Smith M&P flat top with an Aimpoint. I'm currently waiting for a Palmetto State Armory rifle kit to come in and I'm going to build it on Anderson lower.

The kit is going to get me a rifle that would cost me over $800 out the door for under $500. If your mechanical at all, an AR is a very easy build.

Take note of twist rate if 223 556! Most I see now run 9 which as I understand is good for 62 gr bullets. But remember if we go to lead free, the bullets will be longer (the real factor in stabilization as well as speed). So perhaps on should think of 8 or 7. Just a thought.

Last year I bought my first AR, a Delton Sport 556 that I got for a good price. Runs well and a lot of fun to shoot, and even with iron sights is very accurate. I am far from an AR expert, but it is a good affordable model

You should give some consideration to the AK-47. It has all the accuracy you're looking for, ammo is inexpensive and widely available, and it is as nearly fool-proof and indestructible as any thing out there. For a "what if" rifle I prefer it to the AR platform

I just purchased a Ruger AR15. $625 out the door, it is accurate and shoots everything I feed it. Put a Nikon 3x32 scope on it using Nikon mounts, and you can't see the front sight in the scope. As soon as it warms up a bit, I will zero it in. One more thing, don't get a 223 semi auto, make sure it is a 5.56. You can shoot 223 in a 5.56, but can't shoot 5.56 in a 223, pressure problems.

I don't own any and probably never will. For semi auto plinking I have a M1 Carbine that I love. Also several .22 rimfires. The AR style semi autos just don't appeal to me.

You can shoot 223 in a 5.56, but can't shoot 5.56 in a 223, pressure problems.

I've heard this before, but wonder how true it is for modern firearms. I can't imagine my Ruger No. 1 chambered in .223 would have any issue with 5.56 ammo. And I don't think any AR platform sold today would have a problem with either round. Am I wrong about this?

I've heard this before, but wonder how true it is for modern firearms. I can't imagine my Ruger No. 1 chambered in .223 would have any issue with 5.56 ammo. And I don't think any AR platform sold today would have a problem with either round. Am I wrong about this?

I asked the same question of a friend who is an engineer at Hornady. He told me that in the past, shooting 556 would risk a catastrophic failure in a 223. He said although it is less likely in current rifles, at the very least, the higher pressures of the 556 will cause excessive wear in a 223. Plus, the leade in a 556 is almost twice as long as a 223, which could cause a 556 round to engage the rifling early, and that can increase the pressure even more. In a 223, I would personally stick with 223 ammo. You might get lucky and it may fire it fine, but then again.....

Rock River Arms, and might consider in .308 which would be better for hunting.

I asked the same question of a friend who is an engineer at Hornady. He told me that in the past, shooting 556 would risk a catastrophic failure in a 223. He said although it is less likely in current rifles, at the very least, the higher pressures of the 556 will cause excessive wear in a 223. Plus, the leade in a 556 is almost twice as long as a 223, which could cause a 556 round to engage the rifling early, and that can increase the pressure even more. In a 223, I would personally stick with 223 ammo. You might get lucky and it may fire it fine, but then again.....

+1000

S&W makes one called The M&P Sport. Flat top, but I put a carrying handle on mine for about $20. The main difference from every other AR out there is that it doesn't have a forward assist. You can find them for about $550.

But the M & P 15 Sport II does and doesn't cost that much more. I got one yesterday for $619. The difference in price was only $20

I really like my STAG, took of the carry handle so I could mount optics, but if your serious about getting an AR, do it no later than tomorrow!!! After San Bernandino, AR's are flying off the shelf and because there was a glut on the market, manufactures were not building up inventory...

Archived