SASS Wire Forum

SASS membership benefit you dint know you had!

Cheyenne Culpepper 32827

FL CCW laws allow for membership to a competitive shooting organization in lieu of taking a class.

So,,, as a member of SASS you are eligible for a FL CCW,,, non-resident as well.

you could also use this to lure new memberships to SASS.

This isn't meant to be a discussion on the merits of a SASS membership qualifying as a CCW course, just that is available in the state of FL. Make your own judgements and keep em to yourself.

Non-resident?

Florida allows non-residents to acquire a CCW.

Started after a couple of German tourists were murdered in the early 90's (I think).

I did not know about the waiver for SASS. That's purdy cool.

I think CC probably meant to put this on the Wire not the Classifieds.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

The waiver would be with a letter from a club official or NRA Instructor that would verify your shooting ability.

KK

I am a certified NRA Pistol Instructor & Range Safety Officer. I run our local Rifle & Pistol Club's indoor Bulls Eye Pistol League. The area in which you live (state and or county) will dictate what is needed for a concealed carry permit. Here in Colorado, we can substitute competitive pistol shooting for the classroom training. The class must have been taken within the last 10 years. I get lots of requests by league shooters whose class was taken longer than 10 years ago to substitute shooting instead of retaking the class. All our county sheriff requires is a letter from me documenting their participation. I am sure SASS shooting would qualify too.

I am a NRA Pistol instructor,,, they took my SASS membership over the Instructor credentials.

yes good for non residents,,, which I am

with Oh, I have 37 states, last time I checked.

yup, was supposed to be on the wire oops!!!

I respectfully 'disagree' that it is a benefit in getting ones CCW permit by only attending a few SASS competitions. A true disservice and safety issue to the shooter, the public and everything in between. There is so much more to learn and understand about the law, self defense tactics, the mind set one needs, the techniques to be aware and alert, carry of firearms, etc than being able to shoot a Single Action revolver at the beep, and that you probable will not use for Conceal Carry. Even if the applicant is a very skilled pistol shooter, he doesn't know the rest. Yes, what I mentioned applies to those 4hr wonder course offered on every street corner. I rather compare what was mentioned as giving one a drivers license to operate a 2ton car on the public roads by only completing a few laps in a bumper car at the carnival.

Sorry, just my opinion. Continue to research, take courses, read and build your skills and mind set,,,, and hope you never have to use it.

just a view.

it beats the 1 hour class being given in FL and sometimes only firing an airsoft pistol!

Not really.

About the same.

Both are in the negative red zone.

The loosers are the people that took the course and any innocent victims (and families of injured) from mishandling of the privilage of the CCW license and associated firearms.

I am all for CCW but it is a very serious responsibility and one should have to put some effort in getting it. If the CCW owner was the only one that could get injured, then that is a different scenerio, but it isn't.

consider 100 people in a one hour course vs a Sass member,, just saying!

Not really.

About the same.

Both are in the negative red zone.

The loosers are the people that took the course and any innocent victims (and families of injured) from mishandling of the privilage of the CCW license and associated firearms.

I am all for CCW but it is a very serious responsibility and one should have to put some effort in getting it. If the CCW owner was the only one that could get injured, then that is a different scenerio, but it isn't.

Howdy Blastmaster,

My wife and I secured our CCW about 18 years ago. We opted to take the nine hour class and not the short class. I personally think the short class was not enough time and we wanted to do it right so I appreciate where you are coming from regarding the short class. Based on the SASS clubs we shoot at, the time covering rules, guns, and safety before and during matches in my opinion, exceeds the CCW classes. I sincerely believe being a SASS member and shooting SASS matches makes you a safer shooter and a safer CCW holder. SASS is also something you frequently do and not just one time many years ago. This is only my opinion. Have a good one!

CB

FL CCW laws allow for membership to a competitive shooting organization in lieu of taking a class.

Florida CCW permit application also recognizes ones military DD Form 214 with your firearms qualification badges recorded on it

I also indicated that I was SASS RO I & II certified

Howdy Blastmaster,

My wife and I secured our CCW about 18 years ago. We opted to take the nine hour class and not the short class. I personally think the short class was not enough time and we wanted to do it right so I appreciate where you are coming from regarding the short class. Based on the SASS clubs we shoot at, the time covering rules, guns, and safety before and during matches in my opinion, exceeds the CCW classes. I sincerely believe being a SASS member and shooting SASS matches makes you a safer shooter and a safer CCW holder. SASS is also something you frequently do and not just one time many years ago. This is only my opinion. Have a good one!

CB

For arguments sake, a SASS shooter may be a very good single action shooter and fairly safe with a Single Action Revolver under a mild stressful match condition, but they are not competent for CCW usage and could be down right dangerous and get into an unlawful situation, with a semi-auto self defense firearm,,, without further detailed instructions, training, considerations, practice and mental prepareness. Even after taking some instruction, it is wise to keep in both mental and physical practice on the topic. I hope you can follow me on that concept and the point I was and am trying to convey.

Carry on and good luck.

No matter the requirement, or if there even should be a class requirement (which opens a whole nother can of worms) I would recommend that anyone planning on carrying take a comprehensive class that covers not only firearms handling, but local and federal laws, carry methods, and challenges the students to examine their own mindset about when they could, should, or would use a firearm. No matter how justified, any use of a firearm in a self defense situation is going to change your life and most often not in a good way.

Two points:

First - While Florida will take my $ and issue me a CCW permit, I will be legal to carry in Florida but not in New Mexico the state of my residence. NMex will recognize the Florida CCW only if you are a resident of Florida. Like many states, NMex state law says that your CCW permit is only good if you are a resident of the state that issued it. Utah and Florida are CCW mills because they like the money it brings in. An internet search shows their permits are honored by a majority of states. What that search doesn't show is if that license is good if you don't live the state that issued it.

Second - You get a Florida license with SASS shooting as your qualifications. Then you shoot someone. The prosecuting lawyer looks at your "training" and makes a big deal out of the fact that you are a "cowboy" looking for someone to shoot. The sad truth is the average legal cost for a defensive shooting is $50,000. Having taken a reputable class will go a long way to help you with your legal problems. Your legal problems will be twofold; criminal (was it a legal shooting) and liability (the person you shot or their family will sue you).

L

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." pretty much covers all "training" requirements.

The O'Meara Himself

I have freedom of speech too, but I can't yell fire in a crowded theater!

Howdy Blastmaster,

CB

+1

Apples and oranges. A U.S. Citizen has the right to free speech and there are still laws that govern that right. A U.S. Citizen should and in some cases does have the right to carry and there also laws in place that cover that. If some one abuses either right there will be a penalty. But let's not limit ones rights on what they may do. Slippery slope. Do I think there should be some training? Sure. I'd like to see a gun on everybody that's physically able to operate it. People would think twice about walking into anywhere to do harm if they knew all in attendance were armed. JMO. MW

Good grief!!!! This was meant only as information for those wanting to use a SASS membership for qualifications in FL for a CCW.

Florida only requires a 1 hr course!!!! and maybe only 1 round being fired!

If you don't like it fine!!!! Don't use it!!

if you wanna bash it, start your own dang thread!!!

...at Tulsa Red Castle here's the way it is done...

...4 hours of class time going over gun safety and the law...

...1 hour of range time to demonstrate proficiency

Good grief!!!! This was meant only as information for those wanting to use a SASS membership for qualifications in FL for a CCW.

If you didn't want it discussed why did you post it??????

Great post and I know a non res that holds a fla ccw. I may take advantage in 16. See ya in Jan. have a merry Christmas and happy new year. MW

I respectfully 'disagree' that it is a benefit in getting ones CCW permit by only attending a few SASS competitions. A true disservice and safety issue to the shooter, the public and everything in between. There is so much more to learn and understand about the law, self defense tactics, the mind set one needs, the techniques to be aware and alert, carry of firearms, etc than being able to shoot a Single Action revolver at the beep, and that you probable will not use for Conceal Carry. Even if the applicant is a very skilled pistol shooter, he doesn't know the rest. Yes, what I mentioned applies to those 4hr wonder course offered on every street corner. I rather compare what was mentioned as giving one a drivers license to operate a 2ton car on the public roads by only completing a few laps in a bumper car at the carnival.

Sorry, just my opinion. Continue to research, take courses, read and build your skills and mind set,,,, and hope you never have to use it.

just a view.

CC thanks for the post.....as to shooting ability, many of the courses taught in Florida by Fl instructors have the individuals shoot a 22 cal pistol in a "closet" range and that suffices the loop hole in the system. At least, with a SASS membership it shows more than skill. Any SASS shooters has ingrained in them "safety" above all else and is better prepared than most.

Yes, I AGREE WITH YOU that it doesn't mean someone is experienced in all that Conceal Carry requires....like, as you say, MIND SET, etc. but Cheyenne merely made the post as an added plus whether it is right or wrong. Folks will get a permit irregardless, so this is just a plus for being a SASS member. Keeping in mind that you will still need your own state CCW permit to obtain any "Non resident" permit. Hopefully you will already have received additional training in your own state.

My company has taught thousands conceal carry for UTAH, Ohio, Mich and FL permits and I would rank a SASS shooter at the top of lost. If you contact the "Dept of Agriculture" in Florida they will send out a packet for you. Your DD214 will also work for qualifications for a permit.

I checked what additional states I could get with a Florida permit. I could gain Georgia, Pennslyvannia, New Hampshire and South Dakota. As I don't travel frequently to these states I will pass.

Two points:

First - While Florida will take my $ and issue me a CCW permit, I will be legal to carry in Florida but not in New Mexico the state of my residence. NMex will recognize the Florida CCW only if you are a resident of Florida. Like many states, NMex state law says that your CCW permit is only good if you are a resident of the state that issued it. Utah and Florida are CCW mills because they like the money it brings in. An internet search shows their permits are honored by a majority of states. What that search doesn't show is if that license is good if you don't live the state that issued it.

Second - You get a Florida license with SASS shooting as your qualifications. Then you shoot someone. The prosecuting lawyer looks at your "training" and makes a big deal out of the fact that you are a "cowboy" looking for someone to shoot. The sad truth is the average legal cost for a defensive shooting is $50,000. Having taken a reputable class will go a long way to help you with your legal problems. Your legal problems will be twofold; criminal (was it a legal shooting) and liability (the person you shot or their family will sue you).

L

If you didn't want it discussed why did you post it??????

FOR INFORMATION!!!!!

The waiver would be with a letter from a club official or NRA Instructor that would verify your shooting ability.

KK

well, with the high number of misses I get, no club official in their right mind would sign that. Good thing I know a few club officials not in their right mind!

Thank you Cheyenne Culpepper for passing along this info, it could help people if they are looking.

Allie, this is what shows for the thread on the main page of the Wire:

SASS membership benefit you dint know you had!
Started by Cheyenne Culpepper 32827, 18 Dec 2015
photo-thumb-17603.gif?_r=1436914415

34 reviews does not show ... only zero views after your post

Accordingly, after the move, the counters for reviews and views is not working

How many reviews and views do you see on your computer for this thread?

Archived