SASS Wire Forum

What caliber revolver are you using and why?

Bugsbunnyshooter

:mellow: I see from the post That cost and less recoil to be competitive have a lot shooting the .38 specials.

But what really kinda shocked me was so may of us shoot the larger rounds. Yesh the .38 down loaded is not the same as the good ole .45LC

I'm sure there are some that run the 38 pretty slow but the lowest recoil gun I've ever shot in cas was a locals 45 with reg colt cases. So I think you can win with any caliber.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two years ago just before I got sick I added two Ruger Vaquero's in .38 to my collection of two Vaquero's in .45lc. In the last few weeks since I am back at the range I have been using the .38's . I have to admit I think I prefer shooting the .45lc. I think I ,ike the heaven rounds beacuse I learned to shoot with a .45 acp. 1911 And my concealed is a Comander in .45

I have read clubs are not to happy about the damage .45lc does to the metal targets.

So what do you shoot and can you tell me why.

I spent a lot of days and night at the hospital and at Healthsouth reading the wire...

Thanks

I have never heard of a club worrying about SASS legal loads damaging targets. With that said my favorite caliber is 38 spl. Occasionally I will even shoot 32 S&W L. I have several friends shooting 45 LC but as they have gotten older they find in order to be competitive (and for their older wrists to withstand the recoil) they have downloaded their 45 LC rounds to average 38 spl loads. They use 165 g bullets at about 400 to 450 fps. I do not know of any shooter in the age based , duelist or gunfighter categories shooting hot 45 LC smokeless loads and still be competitive at the national level. If you are not interested in winning shoot any caliber and legal load you want.

Ms. Mary Matilda and I shoot Holy Black Powder loaded plumb full...

...as for me, my main match revolvers are 1851 Richards/Mason Open tops in .38 Sp

...occasionally I use my OM Rugers in .45 Colt

Ms. Mary Matilda uses Ruger Single Sixes in .32 H&R Magnum loaded plumb full of Holy Black Powder as well...

...with the lead bullets we shoot, never seen any damage to steel targets... ...depends on the type of steel I reckon...

Lately, 4 5/8" stainless .44 special Ruger Vaqueros. I prefer the bigger .4X calibers with BP or a sub, but shoot just about everything. (73 main match revolvers and counting...) I don't shoot real black powder much anymore, because I picked up 4 cases/48 pounds of Goex Pinnacle substitute at a very reasonable price when it was discontinued. :)

1871 Open Tops and 1866 Winchester (w/ cowboy carrier) in .44 Russian on some days

1851 Colts with Kirst Konverter in .38 long Colt (Heeled) and 1860 Henry in .44-40 (because you can't get it in .44 Russian) on other days.

All with real gun powder.

Certainly the 38 is the most popular caliber in SASS. Go to any major shoot that sells brass gathered from the ground during the shoot, 38 spls and 357 mag in quantity outnumber all other calibers combined, so no matter the answers in this thread, you know the most popular.

The initial attraction to me when I came across SASS, was shooting big bore single actions after shooting a lot of 22's growing up. I started with 44 specials and have stuck with that. I shoot some 44 Russians with black powder. Smokin Gator

I use a set of Custom 45-70 pistols

No recoil and lots of smoke

Billy the Avenger

I thought those 45-70's were Taco's.

And I thought those custom Vaqueros in 50 AE were your favorites.

:o

..........Widder

.44 mag Super Blackhawks cause Kaya borrowed my .38 Vaqueros one day and never gave them back. We both shoot .38 Win 73's though. I had one .44 for hunting and ran into its twin in a gunshop so I picked it up.

We all shoot the 38 in rifle and pistol. We took a look at what the top shooters were using and followed. There are a few top shooters that use other calibers and are extremely successful, but the majority shoot 38. The 38 ia less expensive to shoot. Whatever you shoot, have fun. SASS is full of shooters that shoot for many reasons. No right or wrong. Just have fun.

When I first started cowboy action the club I went to only used one pistol. I had a 3rd gen Colt SAA in .44-40 and a Win. 97.

I went out and bought a Rossi 92 in .44-40. When I went to a different club they used 2 pistols. So I went out and bought a Uberti SAA. In the ensuing years I added a Uberti 73,66, Marlin 94. All in .44-40. 2 more Uberti SAAs and 2 Colt SAAs all in .44-40.

I shoot smokeless because I normally work weekends. If all goes right I can make it in to work for part of the day. Not cleaning blackpowder from firearms.

When I do shoot blackpowder I usually use 58 Remmies in .44.

Dustin

"Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054" post="3200159" timestamp="1450567639"]

I thought those 45-70's were Taco's.

And I thought those custom Vaqueros in 50 AE were your favorites.

:o

..........Widder

Widder the 50 ae is my wild bunch gun

And that Marlin feeds any Length of the

50 ae round wow

Billy the Avenger

pair of Uberti 1851 Navy Colt's. .36 caliber BP, cap & ball.....Cuz I like 'em & I got 'em to shoot 100% reliable...

Thirty-eight Special, 'coz I wanted the Cimarron Lightnings (had a Colt Thunderer even before I heard of SASS and liked the grip) and when they first came out, that's all they were chambered for. Cost of ammo is just a side benefit.

Same round for pistol and rifle

38's because I like things simple and I'm boring, lazy and cheap!

+1! LOL. :lol: I shoot 38s in both pistol and rifle. I shoot 38 because I can shoot more, and don't have to deal with the added recoil. I started with 45LC, but got tired of being beat up, and really tired of the blowback in the rifle. I guess real cowboys preferred the 45, but I ain't a real cowboy. I have seen the job, and don't want it! ;)

Archived