SASS Wire Forum

What caliber revolver are you using and why?

Bugsbunnyshooter

Two years ago just before I got sick I added two Ruger Vaquero's in .38 to my collection of two Vaquero's in .45lc. In the last few weeks since I am back at the range I have been using the .38's . I have to admit I think I prefer shooting the .45lc. I think I ,ike the heaven rounds beacuse I learned to shoot with a .45 acp. 1911 And my concealed is a Comander in .45

I have read clubs are not to happy about the damage .45lc does to the metal targets.

So what do you shoot and can you tell me why.

I spent a lot of days and night at the hospital and at Healthsouth reading the wire...

Thanks

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I shoot .44-40 in both my rifle and pistols and I load real BP only. I hand dip the powder for a full case load and compress the bullet on top of that. Yeah, I know, this means I have to bring the guns back on target after each shot, but I'll never be in contention for the Cadillac anyway! ;)

Why do I do this? Well, the .44-40 cartridge was the original "cowboy caliber", it makes a helluva cloud of smoke and spits flame out the barrel for a good 10-12". Works for me! :D

The reason I participate in Cowboy matches is the opportunity to enjoy the Old West experience. For me that means Blackpowder loads in these calibers: 38LC, 38spl, 38-40, 44-40, 45LC. along with a variety of .36 & .44 cap & ball guns. Never heard of any complaints from match directors concerning 45 caliber damage to targets.

Hope you are doing well health wise. Don't envy you about the hospital time. Spent one week in a hospital last year and after a few days was going crazy. Good Luck.

45 Colt mainly, smokeless and more recently all BP. Coming soon though is 44 Special (cause we can't get 44 Rimfire) and 44 Colt.

I don't own 38 caliber cowboy guns. If I did it would be 38-40 but we all know that ain't really a 38 caliber...

38LC, 38sp, 357, 44r,44 colt, 44sp, 44mag, 44wcf, 45 Colt, 36 C&B, 44 C&B. Because I own them and enjoy shooting variety.

If a 45Colt loaded to SASS rules damages target then the target is inferior metal.

.38 special, easy to reload, cheap brass, cheap bullets, low recoill and THE most competitive caliber for our game.If my competition shot .45's I would too but thats not the case. Stared with .45's as did my wife. Used them for almost three years. At that time we were shooting around 4k rounds a months. Got way to expensive. Switching to .38's was one of the milestone that improved my game in vast amounts. Now if we had a power factor of 125-150 range that would not break my heart at all, but given that we have women, children and folks that have physical limitations that would not allow them to use ammo like that I'd rather have them shooting with us than not.

Pistols: Vaqueros (Sheriff models) in .45 and I shoot the Cowboy 45 Special in them.

Rifle: Marlin 1894 in .32 H&R mag.

WHY: Pistols: I Just seem to like 'the feel'. No other reason.

Rifle: its a dandy little caliber that allows a light bullet with good velocity and gives no 'perceived' recoil.

..........Widder

I use .44-40 in both revolvers and rifle. I did this 6 or 7 years ago when I switched to BP. Now I went back to smokeless I decided to just stick with this caliber. I like the way it shoots and it's historically correct. I have a pair of Colts that I'll be shooting when the season starts agin. I also have a back up of Smoke Wagons. .44-40 can be a little fussy to load but I'm too invested to switch now!

Rye ;) Who proved you can go back from black! :P

.38s. Not because i like them. we just don't have the funds to shoot 45s. I don't get to shoot much anymore but i load for three new shooters who are on a fixed budget plus my wife and i and occasionally for my father.

My wife prefers the lower recoil.

36 C&B

44 C&B

45 COLT - many thousands of rounds downrange

I am going to 38 Special after I get my revolver out of layaway and healed up from my surgery.

But, with all of that said, my hands down favorite cartridge is 32-20. I have a Uberti carbine and a EMF S.A. with 7 1/2" barrel. I have won many a target match with the EMF revolver. As I live on a small farm the Uberti carbine is ideal for controlling small pests such as skunks and possums.

OOPS!

I forgot about 32 Magnum and 44 Colt.

I would shoot 45's if i could afford to feed 'em! :wacko:

I shoot 357 because I can afford to feed them, barely! Also the recoil is a lot less which has become important with my arthritic hands. :)

38 WCF, 44WCF, and 44 Colt-all with the Holy Black, of Course. Why----because I want to!

As a Match Director for 5 plus years, I have never seen quality targets damaged by legal 45 Colt loads. YMMV.

Merry Christmas, y'all.

Dane

38 WCF, 44WCF, and 44 Colt-all with the Holy Black, of Course. Why----because I want to!

As a Match Director for 5 plus years, I have never seen quality targets damaged by legal 45 Colt loads. YMMV.

Merry Christmas, y'all.

Dane

+1 Target damage is not a factor.

When SASS first started all you needed was one pistol, one rifle, had in 44 mag one sxs shotgun. I had them all in my back packet so I stole my wives shopping cart,

but a large canvas bag bungies across the top and I was off to my first cowboy shoot, stayed with 44 mag until one day at a gun show, I spotted a rifle looked different so I sort of rushed over and grabbed it just before someone else had his hand out, was a Winchester rifle, so pretty, had colors looked fairly newish, was expensive, but I wouldn't put it down,kept arguing about the price, I sort of knew him so he gave me leeway, we shook hands but I wouldn't put the rifle down, was in 38/40.

What the heck was that, took it home, took it apart, my youngest daughter sat down with me, she loved taking stuff apart, so I broke the screws and she did the rest, it looked like it wasn't shot much,edges were all sharp, made up some rounds and became owners of pistols in same caliber over time switched to that caliber, still there ...

If a 45Colt loaded to SASS rules damages target then the target is inferior metal.

EXACTLY! Even loaded to factory specs...(or is using some material other than a common lead ally for bullets)...

I shoot 38s because thats what I first traded for before I ever shoot a match.Just stated with them because it is cheaper to load.

44 magnum in smokeless in vaqueros with a marlin. If shooting black, which I do 90% of the time, I switch the cylinders to 44-40 and use a Uberti 66 or Turnbull 92 deluxe rifle.

I didn't have any single actions or revolvers for that matter when I started SASS. I had never even shot a single action revolver until my first match. When I sized up the cost of really doing this it just made since to me to buy the cheapest caliber to feed. 38 special was a pretty easy choice.

45c. When I was a kid all I heard was cowboys shot the 45 colt. Plus I had 2 rifles in that caliber before I started. I also shoot in CC. I decided to try my wife's 38's, for a match about 2 months ago, and thought I was shooting BB guns.

S. Floyd

44 Special. Just because I like it , and mainly use Russian brass with BP. Makes a dandy load , plus I don't mind being different. I started all those years ago with 45s , switched to 38s after about 5 years , then to the 44s about 11 years ago.

Always had a soft spot for 44s , but it took a while to get that first set of six-guns and a rifle , and change over. Then when Ruger came out with their 44 Specials , all fell into place.

Rex , a 44 fan , :D

Archived