SASS Wire Forum

Shots Fired! What do you do? Thank You!

Keystone, SASS # 47578

Well,

Say you're in a public setting. You believe you hear a firearm being discharged and people are scattering in all directions. You're not a trained professional law enforcement officer but have a carry permit and are armed with a revolver but no reloads. What do you do?

Assume you are legal to carry at the venue and having more firepower would have been better but this is your situation.

Keystone

Most helpful answers were in the direction I suspected. Find cover, escape immediate area, exit or find a defensible position and only shot when absolutely necessary. We are not Rambo looking to take the threat head on like some anti-gun folks assume. Thanks for the constructive replies.

P.S. Widder and I had lunch on Monday and briefly discussed this issue.

I/we would immediately haul butt out of there while being a good witness to what I/we witnessed.

Everyone else had the opportunity to get trained & gunned up.

BTW, at the time, you don't know how many bad guys there are, their locations, or what they are equipped with (knives, guns, bombs, etc)

I'm betting at least four pages.

It'll stay civil that long?

Yup, ... what Rye said.

I'm no hero, but I wont go down without a fight.

You don't have enough firepower for other than an immediate, close, defensive encounter. Retreat, and try to get others to retreat with you, but don't hang back, waiting on them. Call 911. Call 911. If you are caught up in it, shoot straight and at center mass to kill, but conserve ammo. Retreat if possible, drive away from the scene. Get your weapon home and out of your possession. Call PD/Sheriff 911 again, ID yourself and be available for interview. Have your attorney present at any interview. Try to interview on neutral turf. Do not speak to the media.

Yell "CHARGE" and hope everyone else charges while I retreat..... :)

Keystone, I would like to think I would have the mindset to get safely behind some cover and/or put some distance between me and the shooter(s). And be happy I bought that 13 shot Springfield Mod 2.

What we don't know is if some of the shooting is actually LEO's already involved in the fracas.

But normally being armed, I think I would hide behind a counter, etc..... and hope the bad guy don't venture down my way.

..........Widder

If, when first entering the area you have identified places of cover and concealment (which you should), and the deal goes down:

1. Exit the kill zone - FAST - in the direction of cover.

2. Call 911 from behind cover if possible.

3. Take defensive action only if attacked, and then shoot center of mass to put a stop to the attack.

4. A short prayer won't hurt.

GIT

1.) Get wife into cover if possible.

2.) Get self into cover if possible.

3.) Call local police on a direct line. Or 911 and be put on hold.

4.) Try to assess situation, identify where the shooter is and get some sort of description.

5.) Relay information to police I am on the phone with. Also give them descriptions of myself and my wife - where we are, what we are wearing, I'm armed, where the shooter is in relation to us.

6.) Draw weapon and stay vigilant. If the opportunity presents itself, try taking the shot. Or, if it looks like it is going to be a real massacre, commit myself to God, and trust that He will keep me safe as I try to stop the evil.

Really, too many variables for a "what if" game.

Duck and cover. I'm not allowed to carry and I don't want to get shot in the back while running. Plus when I'm out I'm usually with the kids.

You have a CWP and a firearm. Why?

Lack of training and show'n a gun, makes you and any person near you a target. BTW, cops have no way of know'n your a 'good-guy' and you are exposing yourself to 'friendly-fire'...

Keep it conceal'd till you must deploy the weapon to fight off an opponent.

OLG

Hit the floor, check for bleeding. If I am able to move, put hand on gun but keep it in pocket...I do not want to be mistaken for the shooter by you other guys.... and try to get out the back door. If I can't, hide and play the cards as they are dealt.

Hearing shots and seeing people run only tells you something bad is going on. You don't know if it's a terrorist attackmor a police shootout at that point. Cops will go toward the gunfire. That's their training.

A cwp does not make you a gunfighter.

If you are just Joe average with a gun and a permit it's best to use your phone and protect yourself and family if directly threatened. Make sure you give a description of yourself as a good guy in case you need to employ your weapon so you are not mistaken for the killer.

If you have significant experience and training in armed confrontations (and the lack of reloads makes me think that's not the case) you assess and take the best course of action.

I had time to think about Keystone's topic when I first posted.

In reality, I hope I'm in the section where the 'Depends' are close by cause I'll probably wet my pants.

..........Widder

I had time to think about Keystone's topic when I first posted.

In reality, I hope I'm in the section where the 'Depends' are close by cause I'll probably wet my pants.

..........Widder

I recommend you don't stop there to change.

Not have'n reloads is plain stupid :excl:

I would stay where I am- and defend my self, but NOT engage unless forced to.

OLG

With Obama's new adopt a terrorist neighborhood program I also would remain where I am until I determine how many attackers there are and their locations.

Then I would use my cellphone to record the Internet commandos advance and engage the attacker(s) using all of the guns they are carrying, performing lightening fast reloads with precision shooting.

1) Run like a girl to the closest cover. Make sure anyone directly connected with me is in cover as well.

2) Pull out my phone and dial 911, making sure I have as detailed descriptions of the situation as possible including my location.

3) Stay in cover for as long as necessary/possible.

4) IF AND ONLY IF I'm targeted/discovered by the assailant do I engage them, making sure my rounds count.

Pee Wee Herman's advice would be "SCREAM REAL LOUD!" :P

Have my family move to a safe location.

Have the family call 911

Guard the door, corder, hallway to or whatever path the Shooter would have to take to get to my family.

Keep my firearm holstered unless I identify a clear threat.

I do not want to assume who the Shooter is and learn later he/she was a plainclothes LEO and I picked the wrong one to stop.

I do not want SWAT to discover me with a weapon in my hand.

I am not Arnold Swartzenager, Sly, Clint or JW nor will I pretend to be.

Seems like everyone has a very similar response, which I think is very good. The best way for an individual to minimize casualties is by helping people get to safety or helping keep them safe. Not playing Rambo with your pea shooter.

I would essentially do the same thing. get folks to safety (me included), dial 911, assess the situation and stay on the phone as long as possible to offer any help I can. description of shooters, location and count of victims and those in cover that I am sure of. If I get a glimpse of the shooter, try and provide the best description I can.

Above all, keep as many people safe for as long as I can.

Engaging the shooter(s), especially given the limited ability of a single revolver and no reloads should be reserved for last ditch effort as you are most likely outgunned and out manned. however I like what Subdeacon Joe said: "if it looks like it is going to be a real massacre, commit myself to God, and trust that He will keep me safe as I try to stop the evil." As Benjamin Martin says in "The Patriot" - 'Lord, make me fast and accurate.'

Don't know about the rest, but mine is to protect me and mine.

If it happens that while protecting me and mine, I happen to do the same for you and yours or them and theirs, that's a great- but it happened by happenstance. It may sound harsh, but you and yours and them and theirs has the same option to be armed for your and their own protection as I do. If you choose not to, that's your choice that you made of your own accord and free will- so don't go expecting me to CYA for you if it comes to pass that you chose poorly. If I'm around when it happens, I will probably be busy looking after me and mine and, as my priorities goes, taking care of you and yours and them and theirs are gonna be way down the list of things that need to be taken care of.

I ain't a cop. I ain't a body guard. I ain't a soldier. And I don't work for a security company.

I'm just some law abiding private citizen with a card with my picture on it that says that I can carry a gun without getting arrested- unless I do something stupid. No place on that little card does it say that I am now a Super Secret Protector of the Innocent and Bane of Evil Doers Everywhere. I do what I gotta do to keep me and mine safe and whole and- once that's done- try to remember to pay enough attention to be a useful witness and lend a hand if the opportunity arises.

Archived