SASS Wire Forum

Interest in getting Cowboy Action shooting Back in Augusta, GA

Big Rock, SASS #44055

I'm trying to see if anyone is still interested in bringing Cowboy Action Shooting back to the Augusta, GA area. We used to have a range that was close in SC, but it closed and the club, Savannah River Ranges, moved to Columbia, SC. There is a range in the area that has put in 5 new bays. I am trying to see if there is anyone around, if they read the wire, that may still want to get shooting again without having to drive 1.5-3 hrs away. Or anyone willing to drive that to shoot in Augusta.

It looks like you're relatively close to the Geechee Gunfighters, Savannah River Rangers, Belton Bushwackers, Greenville Gunfighters and the Palmetto Posse. I bet if you chose your date carefully you could pull from them. It's too far for Shootin Sharyn, Iron Cowboy and me, but an annual might work out. Good luck!

It looks like you're relatively close to the Geechee Gunfighters, Savannah River Rangers, Belton Bushwackers, Greenville Gunfighters and the Palmetto Posse. I bet if you chose your date carefully you could pull from them. It's too far for Shootin Sharyn, Iron Cowboy and me, but an annual might work out. Good luck!

Yes, choosing a date would be the challenge.

Big Rock, I am assuming you are referring to Pinetucky Gun Club. The last time I checked they had a problem meeting the SASS insurance requirements for some reason or another. If you generate enough interest, you should contact Steve Meldrum (club manager) and request to be put on the agenda for the next Board of Directors meeting. I also understand they are working on putting a rest trailer (has heat and A/C) down on the new berms, much like the one that was at the last FL state match. I think I heard last night they were also going to put up shelters on each of the bays. There will be tons of parking right in front of the bays and the bays themselves are wide and deep enough to handle any CAS scenario I have ever encountered.

Good luck and remember, Pinetucky is first and foremost a shotgun venue catering to disciplines associated with them. Breaking the barrier is not going to be easy. Getting them berms built is certainly a great first step because they have nothing to do with the shotgun sports.

The GA Piedmont Regulators shoot at the GMSA gun club. We carry the required SASS insurance, not the gun club. Runs us about $760 per year.

Archived