SASS Wire Forum

410 Brass shotshells

Volga Vigilante

Mostly Win AA high brass, also been using estates. Before I started reloading, what ever I could find cheap Ha Ha.

He hasn't had the SXS all that long. Someone mentioned that shucking the 410 might be a little harder due to being small and light.

I've been shooting a '97 so what do I know?

Stick with the plastic hulls in 410. I load Brass shells in 12ga, 16ga, & 410. Unless you have experience loading all brass shells, I would not attempt the 410. Unless of course you have a lot of time to experiment, or are retired like Me. Loading Smokeless in the Brass shells can be a challenge. There are no current recipe's for 410 in all brass shells. I had to modify current plastic 410 loading to arrive at a load that is safe & reliable for my intended use and with Smokeless powder. I load # 4 shot & # 4 Buck shot. With, and with out plastic wads.

I load the 410 for my Bond Derringer.

Double AA Winchester or try .444 marlin (Star-line) or if rich brass 410 cases...

Most 410 doubles need the chambers polished.

Jabez Cowboy

Had the same problem when starting a couple of buckaroos. Found reloading 410 plastic hulls a PITA and they're more expensive than 12ga to buy!

My solution was to load magtech brass hulls with APP! Almost NO recoil, kids thought that the smoke (although minimal) was neat, the shells just fall out, the APP is very easy to load (doesn't have to be as precise as smokeless)and even better led to a new black powder shooter! :)

pm me if you want load info.

Mostly Win AA high brass, also been using estates. Before I started reloading, what ever I could find cheap Ha Ha.

He hasn't had the SXS all that long. Someone mentioned that shucking the 410 might be a little harder due to being small and light.

I've been shooting a '97 so what do I know?

Stay away from the Estate, Winchester XX (Not the same as Winchester AA) and other discount shells. Before I knew better I bought 4 cases of estate shells and still have 3 cases left so I know they are junk.

Stick with Federal Top Gun, Remington STS, Remington Gun CLub, or Winchester AA.

Reloading brass .410 hulls with smokeless is a serious challenge but loading with APP is a piece of cake. Take Bear trap up on his recipe.

As stated above the chambers may need a little polishing. Also swab them out between stages.

With the brass shells I brush or wipe the chambers every stage or every other stage, depending on the Humidity of the day.

The brass shells do not expand and seal the chambers like plastic do. Thus the chambers get alot of fouling by back pressure around the shell and causes the stuck chamber shell problem.

I load my 12ga Brassers with Goex FFF. This fouling is not unique to Black powder loading, Smokeless has the same Issues. I load my 16 ga. Brass shells with Alliant Unique Smokeless powder.

I agree, if you load 410, APP would be the way to go. And use Magtech Brass shells.

410 is my first try at shotshell reloading. My MEC JR and I have come to an understanding and get along o.k. now. I have reloaded both the Win AA and estate several times.

Thanks for the info Beartrap, the kid likes BP as it is, should make a nice Christmas present to the 10 year old to get the stuff needed.

Suspect that most of the time the shells that do not shuck are the Estates.

Nice to know we will have another Darksider amongst us. Brass shells and the equipment to reload them will make a nice Christmas present.

Search the wire for American Pioneer Powder. They have a special price for CAS shooters by the case.

You will find Pyrodex is cheaper and most likely easier to find than APP. With either, make sure you clean the piece after you shoot.

Pull the barrels from the action, then cork the muzzle ends. From a heated kettle pour the boiling water in the barrels. Let set 20 minutes. Uncork the barrels pour the black stuff down the drain. Wipe the bores with clean patches, oil and put away till the next shoot.

Archived