SASS Wire Forum

Monte Walsh

Paladin  Gun For Hire

Yeah, me too.

One of the rare ones, wherein they are both very well done.

Like them both. If I had to pick one, I'd go with Lee Marvin and Jack Palance. To each their own.

Irish Tom.

A choice too tough for me.

Selleck's version. It's durn near perfect.

"Monte Walsh" is a love poem, written to a way of life."

A FEW REMEMBERANCES FROM THE TOM SELLECK VERSION:

"You can't have no idea how little I care."

(Monte Walsh)

"What do you miss most in winter, Shorty?" (Monte Walsh)

"The Ladies." (Shorty)

"Ladies?" (Monte)

"Yeah." (Shorty)

"I heard you had such a fast fuse, they hardly knew you came to call. They say they're all chipping in to give you your money back!" (Monte Walsh)

"That's it!" (Shorty, leaving)

"Why'd you have to go and do that for?" .... "You don't have to keep needling him!" (Chet Rollins)

"Needling people's what I do!" (Monte)

"I ain't gonna spit on my whole life!" (Monte Walsh)

"Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever." (Chet Rollins)

"...there are some people who see it kinder to shoot a horse than to ride it to death." (Monte Walsh)

"Anything else we can do for you, Joe?"

(Monte Walsh)

"You can bring me two women...and, a fine bottle of whiskey."

(Fighting Joe Hooker)

I really like the Tom Selleck version, in fact I'd gave to say it's probably my all time favorite western. That being said I can't really compare the two because I've honestly never had the opportunity to see the original. Been wanting to, just never lucked out and found it on.

Both excellent. My nod goes to Selleck. Can't explain it or justify it, just how I feel.

That's it for me, too.

I like the Selleck version myself. I'm reading the book right now. I must say, this is one case where the movie (both versions) are better than the book. Book's kind of slow. Not poorly written just not a page turner.

I like the Selleck version myself. I'm reading the book right now. I must say, this is one case where the movie (both versions) are better than the book. Book's kind of slow. Not poorly written just not a page turner.

I like the Selleck version a bit better.

Guitar Slinger gotta disagree with ya. I love the book!! I reread it every year and I start about this week so I can be reading the chapter Christmas Eve On The Slash Y at Christmas time. I wish the Selleck movie would have ended like the book which is the better ending IMHO.

I didn't know that the Tom Selleck version was a remake. I guess I need to look up the original movie to check it out. Love anything that Tom Selleck does, especially westerns.

Saw the first version, with Lee Marvin and Jack Palance, when it first came out. I just loved it! Most realistic Western way of life, good characters, good story, nostalgia, theme music, etc. ever filmed! Sellek version was great too, Sellek is always good. But I favor the first version. Can't be beat!

The O'Meara Himself

I like the Selleck version a bit better.

Guitar Slinger gotta disagree with ya. I love the book!! I reread it every year and I start about this week so I can be reading the chapter Christmas Eve On The Slash Y at Christmas time. I wish the Selleck movie would have ended like the book which is the better ending IMHO.

Chili,

don't ruin the ending. Not there yet.

GS

Archived