SASS Wire Forum

45 Cowboy Special 160grain with Trail Boss

High Plains Hud SASS#64232

Not allowed to post load data here. You have to get it via PM or email.

Everything you wanted to know about Trail Boss in any caliber can be found here. Just do the simple math and you are good to go.

BTW Trail Boss is very sensitive to excessive case volume so after you calculate the minimum load I would increase the charge a couple of tenths of a grain.

I have just loaded 500 rounds of 45 ACP with Trail Boss for 200 gn RNFP using the factory info on thr IMR load data site. I noticed that they had data for 160 gn cast lead swc. I went a half a grain ".5 gns" over the recommended lightest load for a cast lead RNFP and ran them through my chronograph. Out of my 1911, they clocked out at an average of 889.60 fps and out of my 1873 lever action with a 24 inch barrel they clocked out at an average of 1090.89 fps. Both meet the required power factors for SASS. I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy and the very light recoil with both guns. I thinking that for Wild Bunch and Cowboy Action, this is going to be my first choice for powders as long as I can get it! Works great for my 38 spc. loads too! Just stay to IMRs load data and happy & safe shooting

W.L.

If you use the Hodgdon Trail Boss formula calculations, a starting loads of 70% of capacity in cowboy45 special will make about 635FPS with a 160 grain bullet. The formula works! The max you can go in c45s is at 5.0 with a 160, but there is little to no reason to go there!

Just another thought, you can always contact IMR, Hodgdon, Winchester's customer service. Its all the same company. I have done this in the past and there reps were very responsive and helpful. W.L.

Archived