SASS Wire Forum

COWBOY 45 Special...It's Heerrree!

Rancho Roy

I started a topic on this back in September.

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=241549&hl=pocket

I found some with a pocket depth of .110. More between that and .120. I used a pocket uniform tool on them all.

I've checked some from other batches and found all to be just fine.

This is a supply that I laid in to augment the 1,500 or so new stash I have from the AJ days. The 3,000 I have been loading are starting to split (2 to 3/100) and I will need to swap out pretty soon. I want to make a wholesale swap so they don't get mixed in with the older ones. My guess is that this would be from a different lot than anything Miss Cubbie had on hand, but I'll check a few random pockets and report back. Most of these older ones have been reloaded about a dozen times. The rifle is the hardest on the brass because the chambers on Marlins are oversized, or at least the largest allowed.

CR

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll just keep cutting down colt cases if its all the same to you guys....

If it works - go for it. I'm too lazy and would rather be loading or shooting than trying to make something from scratch that is readily available. The intangible is the satisfaction of have solved your own problem. If I didn't shoot at all, I'd save a ton of time and money on any kind of brass, so this is not about either of those.

CR

• 3 weeks later...

So for the skeptics that don't want to buy the new .45 CS brass, a Lyman case trimmer will make short work of Winchester or Starline brass. Top and 3d head stamps take a little longer. I bought mine from Midway USA and it came with the powered adapter, two cutters and nine pilots. I used a simple offset drill by Milwaukee. I was about ten seconds or less in trimming each piece with maybe another five seconds to chamfer inside and out. I will use this to shorten old .38&.357 cases also, so this works well for me.

Now does anybody have a line on the barnstormer bullet moulds? 😈

So for the skeptics that don't want to buy the new .45 CS brass, a Lyman case trimmer will make short work of Winchester or Starline brass. Top and 3d head stamps take a little longer. I bought mine from Midway USA and it came with the powered adapter, two cutters and nine pilots. I used a simple offset drill by Milwaukee. I was about ten seconds or less in trimming each piece with maybe another five seconds to chamfer inside and out. I will use this to shorten old .38&.357 cases also, so this works well for me.

Now does anybody have a line on the barnstormer bullet moulds?

Email Tom @ Accurate Molds... maybe send him one to verify your needs.

Just in case anyone was keeping score...I've trimmed down and chamfered 120 cases to play with. It was easier than I thought and I enjoyed the trip. As soon as my cowboy carrier arrives, it's taking longer than expected, I'll be in business! This should be fun! Now I just have to work on my shotgun skills.

If you're on the fence, do it. It was fun and I learned from the experience. Now I'm set to sustain my supply.

This I can attest, based on my usage of the C45S the past 3+ years in my PISTOLS only.

It last. In other words, it has been GOOD stuff to reload many times, just like when I use to shoot .38's

Sooooo, if the high cost of 1000 pieces gives you a slight pucker, then think of buying only 200 or 300 pieces right now.

If I didn't already have my ample supply of C45S brass, I would SERIOUSLY consider the information above concerning the Schofield brass.

I have a couple Marlins capable of shooting the C45S but I don't use them because I'm one of the Pards that can't afford to lose the brass.

The cost of the brass might be worth having it.........but to lose it at a fast rate is another matter.

Merry Christmas Pards.

..........Widder

Next time I have AJ on the phone I'll tell him what has come of his Cowboy 45 Special,glad like you Widder that I laid in plenty of brass. Adios Sgt.Jake

For the folks that question the period correctness of the .45 shorter than Schofield, I give you the .450 Adams. Designed in 1868, it was issued to the Northwest Mounted Police in Canada, so there is a plausible avenue for it to have migrated to the American West. Firing a 225gr bullet at 650-700 fps...it makes power factor also.

This was under "News" . It sort of kinda maybe infers the brass cases will be for sale - possibly....... :blink:

Cowboy .45 Special Brass has been acquired by American Cowboy Ammo, LLC who will continue to sell and manufacture Cowboy .45 Special Brass products.

This was under "News" . It sort of kinda maybe infers the brass cases will be for sale - possibly....... :blink:

Cowboy .45 Special Brass has been acquired by American Cowboy Ammo, LLC who will continue to sell and manufacture Cowboy .45 Special Brass products.

I know it was supposedly made available in an email to someone. The question is has anyone actually gotten any?

I know it was supposedly made available in an email to someone. The question is has anyone actually gotten any?

I sent the money and received my 1,000 cases a couple of weeks later. They emailed and asked if I had received them.

Happy camper

CR

I sent the money and received my 1,000 cases a couple of weeks later. They emailed and asked if I had received them.

Happy camper

CR

Great. Thanks. My old original stash of brass I got from AJ is still holding up but I was thinking of getting another 1,000 or so as backup.

Great. Thanks. My old original stash of brass I got from AJ is still holding up but I was thinking of getting another 1,000 or so as backup.

I'm locked in because my wife has 2 Spur Marlins set up with a short stroke for the .45CS, and she shoots 'em in her pistols as well. The 3,500 or so I started with are beginning to split, and this batch brings my hole stash of new to around 3,000. I'll make a wholesale switch in the next year or two, and someone who shoots this round in pistols only will be able to take the rest off my hands for a song.

CR

Ok, I'm just thinking of getting into CAS and have read all three pages. Have some questions if ya don't mind.

Is the item everyone is talking about just the empty brass, or loaded ammo?

I have a Uberti 1873 in .45 Colt and on the fence about what caliber of revolver to buy if I jump into this game, .45 Colt to match the rifle or .38 for better shots and follow up shots. Is this .45 cowboy lite load as good as the .38?

I have an "in" where I can buy Colts and a great savings, so buying two in the right caliber is very important to me, I only get a one shot deal in the Colts...

Thanks all

Wopahoe Kid,

As for how the C45S (Cowboy 45 Special) compares to the the .38, I can attest from my own pistols, that a mid range load with my C45S in my Rugers feels THE SAME as my mid range loads from my .38 Rugers.

Both sets of Rugers had octagon barrels at approx 3.25". The .45 pistols were a bit lighter due to the bigger holes in the cylinders and barrel. You could physically feel the weight difference in both sets of pistols.

As for speed in follow up shots, its my opinion the main thing that determines that aspect is the shooter.

I have fired 10 rounds from my .45 Rugers (Gunfighter style) in less than 2 seconds. That was from the 1st shot to 10 shot.

Of course, if I tried that at a Cowboy match, I would probably miss all the targets..... ;)

All I can advise is that if you like those Colts..........BUY EM.

I like the C45S case and it has been my main match pistol caliber for over 3 years now. I shoot a 160 grain bullet at approx 600-650 fps with various available powders.

One thing to think about: if you decide to go with .38 pistols, you can always buy another rifle in .38/357 to match.

Have a good day.

..........Widder

Ok, I'm just thinking of getting into CAS and have read all three pages. Have some questions if ya don't mind.

Is the item everyone is talking about just the empty brass, or loaded ammo?

I have a Uberti 1873 in .45 Colt and on the fence about what caliber of revolver to buy if I jump into this game, .45 Colt to match the rifle or .38 for better shots and follow up shots. Is this .45 cowboy lite load as good as the .38?

I have an "in" where I can buy Colts and a great savings, so buying two in the right caliber is very important to me, I only get a one shot deal in the Colts...

Thanks all

The folks that sell this empty brass also sell loaded ammo. Without a modified carrier, your 73 will not feed the CS. Widder talked about the pistol loadings - I use around the same for my wife's pistol ammo. Bigger bullet = more edge hits ;)

CR

I respectfully submit that if your are not invested in .45's heavier than one rifle, buy the .38's for your pistols. You can get .38 short Colt brass all day long from Starline if you want to go the short case route.

A note about the modified carriers for the '73:

There is a bit more to installing the carrier than is let on by the instructions. If you have a Codymatic for instance the new carrier will have to be lightened up, deburred, and polished. You will also have to bevel, smooth and polish the rear of your bolt face where the cartridge stop will ride over it. Otherwise, you will notice the dragging and it doesn't feel the same.

Archived