SASS Wire Forum

COWBOY 45 Special...It's Heerrree!

Rancho Roy

I just received this email:

To all Cowboy Action Shooters,

We, at AMERICAN COWBOY AMMO, LLC, are proud to finally be able to offer the Cowboy 45 Special.

It took some time but we now have enough inventory to supply all interested parties.

Our LOADED PRODUCTS can be purchased with the following Distributors:

RETAIL ORDERS

Telephone

City

State

Web Site

AIM SURPLUS

888-748-5252

MONROE

OH

www.aimsurplus.com

AMMO DEPOT STORES

916-985-4668

RANCHO CORDOVA

CA

www.ammodepotstores.com

BUDS GUN SHOP

859-368-0371

LEXINGTON

KY

www.budsgunshop.com

CENTERFIRE SYSTEMS, INC.

859-873-2352

VERSAILLES

KY

www.centerfiresystems.com

CHEAPER THAN DIRT

800-421-8047

FORT WORTH

TX

www.cheaperthandirt.com

CIMARRON FIREARMS COMPANY

830-997-9090

FREDERICKSBURG

TX

www.cimarron-firearms.com

J&G SALES

928-445-9650

PRESCOTT

AZ

www.jgsales.com

LUCKY GUNNER

800-317-9506

KNOXVILLE

TN

www.luckygunner.com

MUNIREUSA

832-705-6520

HOUSTON

TX

www.munireusa.com

NATCHEZ SHOOTERS SUPPLIES

800-251-7839

CHATTANOOGA

TN

www.natchezss.com

SELWAY ARMORY, LLC

406-351-0156

MISSOULA

MT

www.selwayarmory.com

TARGET SPORTS USA

860-426-9886

SOUTHINGTON

CT

www.targetsportsusa.com

THE ARMORY, INC.

757-424-1617

VIRGINIA BEACH

VA

www.the-armory.com

WAGNER'S BARBER SHOP & GUNS

812-663-2553

GREENSBURG

IN

WHOLESALE SPORTS NORTHEAST, LLC

802-479-0044

MONTPELIER

VT

ZLS, LLC

386-314-7410

EDGEWATER

FL

www.zlsammo.com

DEALER ORDERS

Telephone

City

State

Web Site

CHATTANOOGA SHOOTING SUPPLIES, INC.

423-894-3007

CHATTANOOGA

TN

www.chattanoogashooting.com

WILLIAMS SHOOTERS SUPPLY, INC.

217-222-4195

QUINCY

IL

www.willshoot.com

ZANDERS SPORTING GOODS

800-851-4373

SPARTA

IL

www.gzanders.com

DISTRIBUTOR ORDERS

Telephone

City

State

Web Site

DKG TRADING INC.

877-354-2666

EVANSVILLE

IL

www.dkgtrading.com

For BRASS ORDERS, we are currently taking orders directly at:

AMERICAN COWBOY AMMO, LLC.

17902 La Cantera Pkwy # 305

San Antonio, TX 78257

COWBOY 45 SPECIAL BRASS

ROUNDS

PRICE

SHIPPING

TOTAL

Orders will be shipped as soon as payment is received, at this time we are only accepting Cashier’s Checks or Money Orders.

Please make checks payable to American Cowboy Ammo, LLC.

Thanks for your patience, we appreciate your business.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am glad that they have finally got brass back on the market, but at .36+ cents apiece it is premium priced! Here's hoping they are successful!

Gimme a BREAK!!! Everybody moaning and lamenting and whining the brass wasn't available. Now, it's available. So now, everyone starts moaning and groaning and whining at the price.

Coffinmaker

Maybe they'd like to turn a profit.

There are a lot of potential customers that never heard of the C45S. I run into a couple at most matches. Some comment that they are going to get some - like they would just pick some up next time they go shopping. Then I explain the availability situation.

Maybe American Cowboy Ammo can do a better job of promoting their brass. I don't see loaded ammo flying off the shelves at the price they are asking.

Some of you guys need to get real. Just because you can now get it, doesn't justify paying double price for it. This just stinks. Their price is exorbitant, whether it be loaded ammo or just brass. Their policy evidently is to charge all the public will stand, and then some more.

Of course you have a choice, either buy it or don't.

RBK

Some of you guys need to get real. Just because you can now get it, doesn't justify paying double price for it. This just stinks. Their price is exorbitant, whether it be loaded ammo or just brass. Their policy evidently is to charge all the public will stand, and then some more.

RBK

I don't think the brass price has doubled. Looks more like 30% using numbers I remember paying for the last batch.

$.36 per brass, reloaded 20 times comes out to less than $.02 per round. Starline sells Schofield brass at $.18 per brass, which comes out to less than $.01 per round.

Compare with cost of powder, bullet, primer, not to mention amortized cost of reloading system.

B Slim

Gimme a BREAK!!! Everybody moaning and lamenting and whining the brass wasn't available. Now, it's available. So now, everyone starts moaning and groaning and whining at the price.

Coffinmaker

Yep. Folks like complaining so much... I just give 'em the address of the nearest Navy Recruiting office; sailors love to complain... some say that the better complainer, the better sailor!

The price for brass is higher than what I remember paying for the last brass I bought. But it's lower enough I probably would buy it rather than cut down 45 Colt. At least they offer it and there is a choice.

Exactly. And have you been pricing other new brass lately?

Image11_1.jpg

Now that it's available again, I'll go back to using it in my WB rifle!!! Sure was fun loading with just a change in shellplate!

So before it disappeared off the market, they were 27¢ each and now, they are 36¢ each?

If that's right, then:

Old price per 1000 = $270

New price per 1000 = $360

That's VERY high. There comes a point along the way where common sense comes into play and anyone must say, "Enough's enough!" Is that breakoff point 36¢ ? I don't know. Consider how this brass is used and the potential for it being damaged and lost. One worst case single scenario is a "lost brass match," where losing 120 empties represents a loss of $43.20 and, comparatively, a monthly match where you lose 20%, which represents about 12 empties, or $4.32. Of course there's brass damaged at the range and in the reloading process.

It's expensive......

It's a personal decision. Before I'd say "yes," I'd call them and ask'em to send (free!) maybe 4 as samples to check their quality. It may not be of acceptable quality. If they're unwilling, I wouldn't buy any and instead make my own. More rewarding anyway, even if it factors out (time, equipment, etc.) costing 3 or4 times as much. Of course you have to decide for yourself. This supplier can't last long at those prices, then they'll either lower the price or Starline or someone else will buy the rights and the price may come down.

Of course, I could be 100% wrong, too. :-/

So before it disappeared off the market, they were 27¢ each and now, they are 36¢ each?

If that's right, then:

Old price per 1000 = $270

New price per 1000 = $360

Of course, I could be 100% wrong, too. :-/

Aren't you forgetting that interim price of $332/1000 and the several YEARS between those two? But, if you have the time to trim your 45Colt brass down... so be it.

And forgive for pointing it out, but the prices I see quoted above are $347.65, SHIPPED... so where are you seeing $360.00/1,000?

This I can attest, based on my usage of the C45S the past 3+ years in my PISTOLS only.

It last. In other words, it has been GOOD stuff to reload many times, just like when I use to shoot .38's

Sooooo, if the high cost of 1000 pieces gives you a slight pucker, then think of buying only 200 or 300 pieces right now.

If I didn't already have my ample supply of C45S brass, I would SERIOUSLY consider the information above concerning the Schofield brass.

I have a couple Marlins capable of shooting the C45S but I don't use them because I'm one of the Pards that can't afford to lose the brass.

The cost of the brass might be worth having it.........but to lose it at a fast rate is another matter.

Merry Christmas Pards.

..........Widder

As far as Cat Brules question of quality, really that's not a question, as the brass is only manufactured by Starline, and it WILL be first class.

The best answer that I see is simply using 45 Scolfield brass, which is only .090 longer than the C45S in the first place. Actually, trimming that brass back .090 to C45S length would be a cinch. Easier than modifying 45 LC brass. I think using Scolfield brass, as is, is the better way to go. Easily obtained from Starline. No fuss/No muss, just load it and shoot it. Load density would be fine for Smokless powders, and should be even better for the use of Black or Subs. What's not to like???

RBK

Aren't you forgetting that interim price of $332/1000 and the several YEARS between those two? But, if you have the time to trim your 45Colt brass down... so be it.

And forgive for pointing it out, but the prices I see quoted above are $347.65, SHIPPED... so where are you seeing $360.00/1,000?

I was factoring off the estimates in an earlier reply which stated the new price was 30% higher than orevious prices. It's an estimate. Are we having s quarrel?

:-)

Cost is not just materials. No matter what you cartridge is being produced there is a group of fixed costs that have to be paid.

Spread those costs out over 1 million cases and they are pretty low. Spread them across 100,000 cases and they are 10 times greater.

I doubt that they did a production run of cases like most other cartridges so the fixed costs are spread thicker.

Just how many shooters do you really believe are going to buy C45S at any price??? How much will they each buy???

The other side of the coin is who else are you going to buy them from??? Sure you can make your own but unless you pay yourself slave wages it is not cheaper.

As pointed out multiple times, unless you are in the habit of dropping expended pistol cases they are going to last a LONG LONG time.

One last thought.

If this venture to resurrect and sell C45S cases fails you can probably bet that they will never again be offered commercially.

One last thought.

If this venture to resurrect and sell C45S cases fails you can probably bet that they will never again be offered commercially.

Or Starline'll offer them direct...

signed,

"Ever hopeful"

Cat Brules, hopefully not... :D

They want both the feel of a big gun and competitiveness of a light load. Really quite simple.

If it's not your ox being gored, what's to worry? Especially if it is within the rules.

Many times it is due to a poor choice of revolvers up front when folks got into the game, based upon either watching old Westerns or gun shop know-it-alls knowing almost nothing about SASS. Then, in a "progressive reveal" of reality, they finally go to matches and find not only are they slow because they lack some skills needed in SASS, but also they are way behind due to all the recoil that they have to handle. Now, some of us try to help folks like that make lemonade from the fruit that they have invested in, rather than questioning their judgement as they try to adapt to the game as it is shot today.

Good luck, GJ

I don't understand why cowpokes buy 45s (which IMHO are meant to go BOOM) just to download them to lite poof loads.

From my perspective, I understand.

I like to use a 160 - 180 grain bullet in my .45 at approx 600-700 fps.

The C45S gives me great allowances to reach those velocities using some of my favorite powders that occupy a good portion of the case capacity.

And on the other hand, I have a short barrel Marlin (16.25 inches) that will hold 11 C45S. That brass can be loaded to the equivalent of .45 SUPER ammo with 185 Gold Dot HP bullets.

Its a VERY NICE load should Fort Widder ever get attacked by any wild, rampaging groundhogs and such..... ;)

..........Widder

I don't understand why cowpokes buy 45s (which IMHO are meant to go BOOM) just to download them to lite poof loads.

I'm with Matthew on this, if you want to shoot "Sub Loads" shoot "Sub Caliber" guns...

I think that CC should require a minium PF of 150 or more...

Flame away ,,, it's Winter and I could stand the heat ...

Jabez Cowboy

RBK

Seems to me about the same price as the previous owner of the brand. It may seem high, but Starline makes it on a special run. They pay Starline and the freight, they sit on it until it's sold, then it goes out in small batches. While it costs more than standard calibers, it's not much more than other wildcat brass. I'm gonna get another thousand and pay the freight. Wish I'd bought more when it was cheaper, but my great grandpa wishes he had given Henry Ford the $1,000.00 he asked for before the Model T came out!

CR

Flame away ,,, it's Winter and I could stand the heat ...

Jabez Cowboy

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Here in E.TN right now (Sunday evening, 7:15 pm), its a NICE warm 62 degrees.

We have a 5-10 mph wind blowing thru the back screen right out the front windows because our doors are open and the windows up. The wind actually feels warm and not chilly.

..........Widder (Walkin in a Widder Wonderland)

The 45 Colt case was designed to be filled with black powder. No maximum smokeless load fills the case. You can make a pretty big boom with modern powders and a 45 ACP sized case. Just a lot more efficient burn.

And, you're right about the ability to download. My wife became a much better shooter when I started loading her pistols with a 160gr pill at about 650fps.

CR

Light loads have become part of the game, and are not going away. A little understanding goes a long way. Maybe the pard bought 45's and enjoyed stout loads in their youth, but now arthritic hands can no longer take the recoil. Or perhaps they want to conserve powder, or dare I say be able to shoot faster as follow up shots with light loads helps a great deal.

I just like the 45 Colt. But I don't see the need to take the recoil of full factory loads. I started shooting 200g as low a charge of Unique as I could get to burn clean. The C45S allows me to make a better load with less powder. While it's far from being a full factory equivalent load, it's no mouse phart load.

My conversion cylinders will not take a Schofield Case. They do take the Colt 45 Special Case, and it's a terrific round! Also, I don't load a full case of BP to take down a target that's right in front of me. What a waste of powder, (which is a waste of $$). I don't load grits, seems like a waste of time.

I've load a C45S case full of BP, top it off with a 200gr bullet, and I have a powerful, flat trajectory round that rolls the pistol up in my hand for the follow-up shot, without the pounding,

I've been loading the same 500 C45S cases since they were first available, when I shoot ca'tridge outa my C&B pistols, . Although they are still usable, it's time to buy some more!

Archived