SASS Wire Forum

How far do you drive to a monthly

Billy the Avenger

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drive three and a half hours when I go to Ponderosa Pines. Worth every SECOND and every penny spent!!

Can't wait for the Crap Shoot in March!!!

About an hour and a half to three different monthlies and about 10 minutes to two others.

Howdy

Interesting question. Two hours used to be my limit.

I used to drive two hours regularly to a match in New Hampshire. No problem in the morning, but in the afternoon after a full day of shooting I was awfully tired and having trouble staying awake.

These days there are a couple of shoots less than an hour away. I don't drive the two hours to the shoot in New Hampshire anymore. Just too old to stay awake on the drive home.

97 miles to Orange for our bi-monthly shoots.

in Fl 15 mi to 130....

in OH,,,70 to just over 100,

I use 5 hr energy drink just before leaving usually...

My usual monthlies are about 45 minutes away, but there is another club that is just over the Iowa line that I try to catch a couple each year and they are just over 3 hours away

The most I drive is 90 miles. The trip takes me 90 minutes on a rural interstate and a rural US highway. The three other clubs I shoot at are less than 45 minutes driving time. I really don't like driving anymore. I've had too many close calls and like DJ I get fatigued.

When Hubby was shooting and we lived in downtown Sacramento, the farthest we drove on a regular basis is approximately two hours one way. On a few occasions when we visited his mother, we would stop at a club that is about three hours one way.

Now that we've moved east, I drive about 45 minutes to the closest range. I have driven up to 10 hours to an annual. A one-day each way drive is about my limit to an annual. The drive to a match isn't so bad, it's the drive home, after a long busy weekend, that is difficult.

I farm, so i'm quite a distance from any club. Closest is 1.5 hrs and furthest is 3.5 hrs. I gave up on the 1.5 hr club to shoot the 3.5 hr club. The furthest club is the best practice for the larger shoots I want to do well at, so we're rolling at 445am to make it there in time. 3 of the clubs we shoot at are a minimum of 3 hrs away. Might sound silly, but I think the closer range is a bigger waste of time and money versus the furthest club. If sass went back to the way it first was, I'd be shooting the closer clubs. Anyway, ill drive the 7 hr round trip to go to a good shoot.Lunger

There are two clubs i like to shoot at that are over 4 hours one way but i don't shoot at them every month. The closest clubs i shoot at are an hour away

Holy Cow! Some shooters sure have some long drive times to get to a monthly. With the clubs I haunt the most, Two Rivers Posse is 15 minutes away and Coyote Valley Cowboys is 1 hr 25 minutes away. In fact Im suppose to be there right now but I couldn't get out of bed DAMMIT... <_<

I have 6 clubs within an hour and a half each way, could shoot every weekend if I wanted to and have a choice of clubs on some weekends. Most of them are between an hour and fifteen minute and an hour and a half. One club 25 minutes away but it only shoots in the summer due to host range needs.

Before I started CAS if you'd told me I'd drive over an hour each way a couple times a month for a hobby I'd have said you were nuts. In my rattletrap car driving isn't something I really enjoy. Now I do it willingly to enjoy the people and the shooting.

I have driven 15 hours or so to annuals, taking two days going out, and often just one coming home with a co-driver. Those trips only for matches that I know to be worth the time and expense. Generally a one day drive to an annual would be my target distance, and still I am rather selective about those as my budget is quite limited.

Very luck to have a club that is only about 20 minutes and another that is 1 hour away. As to a one day trip, we have done a couple about 2 1/2 hours away.

My wife and I consider ourselves fortunate in that there are two monthly matches close to home, one is 6 miles and the other 35 miles. Travel times are about 15 minutes and 45 minutes. However, last year we traveled 940 miles one way for a one day shoot (granted it was a State BP Shoot, in Florida, when we had ice and snow on the ground at home), and we will be going back again this year!

There are several more monthly matches, easily within 1 1/2 hour drive, but unfortunately, we just don't have that much free time. Some day.......

We're lucky here, the farthest monthly for me is 2 hours, the closest is one hour and the other 3 shoots are an hour and a half.

5 monthly matches when there's a fifth Sat.

Rye ;)

I can shoot at 5 different monthly's with the furthest being 1hr.& 20 min., two at about an hr. and two at 35 min.

Life is good here in good old Richmond, VA.

To answer the question, probably 2 hrs.

Twenty minutes to ninety minutes. I sometimes go to a further match but take the RV to make it easier on me in the morning.

CB

We have 4 clubs between 15 minutes and an hour and 10 minutes. The steady ones are 1 hour and 1 hour 10 minutes.

1st Saturday -- 75 minutes one way

2nd & 3rd Saturdays -- 105 minutes one way

4th Saturday -- 130 minutes one way

All worth every minute

--Dawg

About sixty miles or so for the closest club about the same for the other club if they use the range in Ruidoso if they use capitan range about half again further.

We drive to four different monthly shoots that take us approximately two hours. Usually means getting up at 5 am for most of them and dragging two teenagers out of bed. Worth every minute.

Archived