SASS Wire Forum

Pioneer Coil Spring 66/73 Uberti Conversion?

Rancho Roy

I recently bought another 1866 Uberti Carbine in 38-40. Ordered the Pioneer Gun Works "Super Short Stoke" kit, along with the Pioneer action springs for the lever and carrier. I also ordered the "Coil Main Spring Conversion" kit. Yikes! $385 in parts. I can rebuild a small block Chevy for this kind of money! No one said this hobby would be inexpensive!

This is the fourth short stroke kit I've installed in Uberti rifles and the install went well, except I had to file a small amount from the side of the boss on the carrier lifter as the lever was hitting this area and not allowing the bolt to go forward. Other than that it was a typical install.

Here is an article I wrote on a precious Short Stroke Kit install:

The Coil Spring conversion was a first for me. Relatively easy installation but you do need a Dremel tool as some material needs to be removed from within the action and a bit of wood needs to be removed from the stock.

While I had everything apart I smoothed out all edges and surfaces with India stones and Cratex wheels.

Now my question.

With the hammer back, the action is extremely smooth and very fast. But with the hammer forward, the bolt pushing back on the hammer seems much harder than my other Uberties without the coil spring kit. On my other rifles I simply used the old trick of grinding the flat main spring to relieve some spring tension.

With this coil spring kit and using the softer of the two springs included (RED), the action is quite hard once the bolt starts to move the hammer. The hammer fall will set off Federal primers but it will not set off Winchester primers (none of my other 1873/1866 rifles with lightened hammers will set off Winchester primers either)

Is there some modification to the bolt end where it pushes back the hammer that I should be aware of? What are other folks experience with the coil spring conversions?

Thanks in advance!

Couldn't stand it. There was no way of adjusting the spring and it was way too stiff. Had it in my rifle for one monthly.

Finally I can disagree with you Most wanted lol I have one in my wild bunch gun

I have the red spring installed but I cut some coils off it or you can put the spring on a drill bit and use sand paper on the out side, springs are cheap

You do have to make sure sure your firing pin spring is light and with the action closed it doesn't bind

Billy the Avenger

Glad it worked for you Billy but I really didn't have the desire to mess with it considering how well my gun worked before. Come to FLA and give up some lessons.

I have a new one in my parts box,just never wanted to put it in and try it.

Howdy

Personally I have never seen a reason to change out the main spring of a lever gun for a coil spring. Seems like a modification looking for a reason to exist. As you have done before, you can always grind down the main spring to make the rifle easier to operate.

Just give Joe Sr or Joe Jr a call over there at PGW. There great guys to work with over the phone.

http://www.pioneergunworks.com/page3.html

I bought a .38-40 1866 carbine off gunbroker from a pawn shop in Florida, and when it arrived, I discovered it had the coil spring conversion AND a short stroke kit already installed. Personally, I don't see any advantage to the coil spring conversion.

Well...Took it all apart yet again and I got it running VERY smooth..

Issues were:

Firing pin extension binding in bolt.....chucked firing pin extension in drill and polished with 320 grit paper

Firing Pin Extension binding in receiver....small piece of wood dowel with 320grit paper to "hone" the receiver hole

Firing Pin Spring too long....removed two coils

All of the above was causing a reduced hammer spring to cause misfires as the firing pin binding was wasting the transfer of energy. Now rifle cycles beautifully and zero misfires even with Winchester primers.

Hammer Coil Spring too stiff....Sanded the exterior to relieve tension. Removed one coil to make initial movement easier when cycling.

Once the above firing pin issues were solved I could lighten the hammer spring further.

NOW We're talk'n! Gun runs very well now.......Ready to Rock and Roll!

Archived